Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

manual conversion URGENT!!

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
or why can't i just use the flywheel from the donor car ( manual ) and use it?? i'm just trying to get this done quick and cheap so

cause the crank is differnt.

The s1 manual and auto cranks are different - both are six bolt, but vastly different in the flange size, which is why CRS do an adaptor as mentioned previously.
your choices are to use the CRS adaptor (expensive), use the crank from the donor car along with new bearings, gaskets and seals (probably just as expensive) or use the manual s1 motor from the donor car (more affordable?).
Just remember that the flywheel bolts are "torque to yield" (use once only) and will need to be replaced.

i got my doner car for $900 and i have to buy the cank adapter (or flywheel, i chose crank adapter) and i new clutch (cause i need a new thrust bearing). Swaping the engines is a matter of witch ones in better condition? The auto i gots only done about 187,xxxkm so i wouldnt swap it with the manual 300,xxxkm its worth it to get the adapter. Changing the cranks is a big job.

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
ok just some more things i need cleared up i planing on just getting the crank adaptor so that get's bolted to the auto engine and then i need to get the manual flywheel is that correct??

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
im pretty sure thats how it goes, ask once you ring them up to make sure tho. ill be ringing tomorrow and ill ask.

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
if thats it then i'll have a smile ear to ear. heres the other thing can these adaptor work in reverse like manaul to auto my plan was to take what i need and replace it into the donor car and then sell it off so. if so i'll get one made up at work

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just remember that the flywheel bolts are "torque to yield" (use once only) and will need to be replaced.

you sure on that, no mention in the gregories about it. there only torqued to 90nm

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
if thats it then i'll have a smile ear to ear. heres the other thing can these adaptor work in reverse like manaul to auto my plan was to take what i need and replace it into the donor car and then sell it off so. if so i'll get one made up at work

the adapter it self cant be used in reverse (i think), manual - auto, but as in how to actually get that done i got no idea.

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
i assume that the bolt pattern on a manual crank is wider? and the auto bolts are closer to the centre?? so i guess the plate goes onto the auto crank and then the flywheel gets bolted to the adaptor yes so y can't it work backwards?? and also are the mounts in the same spot?? and will the start motor need to changed because of the adaptor pushing the flywheel out further??

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
so y can't it work backwards??

the auto crank is shorter then the manual (what ive been told the difference was), oposite for the auto so thats why it wouldent work backwards.
and also are the mounts in the same spot??

for the tranny? i think there the same but dont quote, anyway u got the manual mounts there anyway.

and will the start motor need to changed because of the adaptor pushing the flywheel out further??

have no idea, ill need to look into that too, will ask all this tomorrow.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
i just realised is this i V6 or V8? cause i just saw my half brother inlaws VN V8s he just converted and that dosent need any adpter, just a stright swap.