Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual gear changing what do you do?

Gear change methods

• heel and toe

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • heel and toe and double declutch

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • double declutch only

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • no advanced technique (i.e. what is done in driving test)

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
When I had the manual I used to flat shift up and down, 3 speeds aren't the easiest box to do it cos you've gotta rev the **** out of them to get a good change, but on the daily commute I'd rarely use the brakes and just downshift with the clutch/engine doing the braking.
I also found if I was heel and toeing down the harder The brakes the better it went into gear.
Oh my p plate days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Am i the only person who cant heel and toe unless I've got the brake pedal properly buried? I'll rev match on the downshift but it means coming off the brakes which isnt a big deal

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
Clutch in, gear change, clutch out, rev match if required.

You get to know that sweet spot with the clutch as you go along and can put your foot back on the accelerator sooner.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Am i the only person who cant heel and toe unless I've got the brake pedal properly buried? I'll rev match on the downshift but it means coming off the brakes which isnt a big deal

yeah I struggle with it if I try it on normal braking - because as you side step the throttle with the heel, you naturally tend to push harder on the brake pedal. But on the track, I'm usually hard on the on the brakes during downshifts, so not a problem.
Usually no need for it on the street unless of course you're 'hooning' ;) I just perform normal clutch operation on downshifts on the street

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Slowly getting used to Fiesta clutch/gearbox; have figured that the pedal set-up for heel-toe is ideal so I now use that method, albeit only when I am wearing shoes. If I am wearing boots my right ankle isn't flexible enough, so I just 'granny shift'. Or take the auto VB. LOL.

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
In the Ss, I would heel-toe downshift at all times...

On the Bike I do the same, But what would you call that :p

Just easier on the box, smoother...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I rev match and use heel-toe in my daily driving. Whatever is appropriate for the situation, sometimes I want to drop it down another gear while I'm braking. The V6 doesn't really need heel toe a lot of the time due to already low revs, but any little buzz box - absolutely.

I double de-clutch if I'm downchanging to a gear with a worn synchro, eg. 1st and 3rd in the 360,000km old Getz gearbox, just to smooth things out a little more. When I got my MR the instructor asked if I knew how, and suggested having a go seeing as some of the synchros in the truck were a bit worn. Of course, when I realised I could happily roll to a stop in 5th it reduced the number of downchanges I was doing.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
How hard are you driving in normal street traffic to need to heel - toe? Pointless exercise really IMO. I drive an 18 speed non syncro box every day and the trick is to only use the right hand pedal, if you are on either of the other two - unless you are bringing it to a full stop, you are doing it wrong..

So in the car, same same, sometimes I use the clutch, just depends on the day and my mood, but with or without it, simply bring the engine revs up to match the box revs for a slick shift, but even then, I am rarely on the middle pedal. But thats just me, I like to actually drive the car, not just flog it and pretend I can drive.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Heel toe is necessary for braking and changing down smoothly when the main roads where you do the majority of your driving and intersection approaches are either 100km/h or 80km/h. Seeing as the Commodore doesn't have an exhaust brake, I can't just leave it in 5th and roll to a stop, nor is it geared to do so. I usually only heel-toe into second, generally I drop it into 4th or 3rd when I first want to slow down before I actually brake. In the Commodore I can get away without heel-toe into second if I'm slow enough but in the Getz, sure I could fail to heel toe, but then I'd either crash into someone because I've stopped braking or I'd get an awesome granny change going on, which goes against my religious beliefs.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
in my landy i usally shift without the clutch in third and fourth gear around small streets, when im wearing my boots there isnt much foot space in the landy so i try to use the clutch the least as possible because it hurts my leg after a bit, but in a normal car i will shift normally with the clutch