Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto License

Do you have a Manual or Auto License

• Manual License

Votes: 177 75.6%
  • Auto License

Votes: 50 21.4%
  • No License

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
davey: modern boxes have syncro's and they will break if the clutch is not used. on boxes with out syncro's (bikes), yes there is no need to use the clutch when changing gears up (changing down the clutch should be used unless you let the revs drop heaps and then change down). but still you will stuff the gearbox.
just a thought but how in the hell can you get home tro to a workshop with out a clutch? the car will stall, or not even start if there is a safety feature built in. and doing a roll start is ok but how to stop with out locking up the wheels? i wonder..........

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Yeah, you might be right about the modern boxes.

I'm just saying that I've definately done it on an older box. However, I would've thought that old Datsun 200B (1981 model) would have had synchros anyway! Synchro's aren't that new or modern! :confused:

Cheeza5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Manual, then you can drive other people's manual's and its so much fun

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I drive trucks and the road ranger gear boxes don't require the use of a clutch even tho' it is recommended.
I always thought car boxes weren't designed for shifting without the clutch, needless to say i will not be trying it, i value my vehicles!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
davey g-force said:
Yeah, you might be right about the modern boxes.

I'm just saying that I've definately done it on an older box. However, I would've thought that old Datsun 200B (1981 model) would have had synchros anyway! Synchro's aren't that new or modern! :confused:
they aren't. depends if you call 1930 modern!

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
garfa is right. you'll destroy the syncromesh by flat shifting. you can do it in roadranger boxes in a semi but not recommended as you need the clutch to take all the torque up otherwise you can bunny hop the rig and snap the uni-joints.

By the way i have my HC roadranger license.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
garfa said:
just a thought but how in the hell can you get home to to a workshop with out a clutch? the car will stall, or not even start if there is a safety feature built in. and doing a roll start is ok but how to stop with out locking up the wheels? i wonder..........

Just knock it into neutral to roll to a stop. It's usually possible to do that even with a bust clutch. And to start off, switch the engine off, bang it into 1st gear then crank it over and away you go!! It's a bit jumpy but it gets you home in an emergency. I did it in a Vectra for 250 miles once!:thumbsup:

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
I have a manual licence but my bestfriend Erika applyed for her Auto licence but the instructor stuffed up n gave her a manual one lol haha that was all kool tho.

and yea gearboxes these days can still change gears without using the clutch like ppl have been saying u just need the revs to be right.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
ashzv6 said:
is it just me or is that 1 of the most stupid things i ever heard. unless of cause you like going through gear boxes like socks

i thaught the clutch was designed to disconnect the wheels from the flywheel of the engine

if u didnt use a clutch you would stall when you tried to slow the car to a stop
young people
back in the goodoldays their were no sincro's you had to double de clutch
or don't use the clutch at all
before you say anything
98% of truck's don't use a clutch because they too don't have sincro's
they connot handle the torque(i am aware of auto sincro truckes but are still behinde in technology)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Yeah, so like I said, it IS possible to drive a manual without the clutch. Not reccommended, not a very comfortable drive, but possible.

Anyone wanna lend me their manual Commo for 5 minutes and I'll prove it to ya? ;)