Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Map reading light for my SSV ute

AdsSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heron White VE SSV Ute Man
Ive only just just joined this site and Im hoping someone can steer me down the right path with an answer to this.

Ive got an SSV ute which has the single globe interior light with sunglass holder. Ive gone and bought one from a Calais with the map reading lights fitted but hen i went to fit it, my light has only a 4 pin plug and the Calais light has a 6 pin plug. I can plug it in and it sorta works but not the way its suppose to.

Has anyone done this retrofit before and if so do they have a wiring diagram for it or can explain how to do the wiring.

Any help appreciated

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Have you tried to plug it in and see what happens?

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Sounds like a good mod - I replaced my SSV ute interior lights with LED -makes a big difference - lights it all up so maybe an option if the map lights etc don't work out

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
Your ute came with this:

Jg8O6.png

This is what you want to fit:

DOhsF.png

The first 4 pins are the same, the fifth pin is probably the extra supply to the two map lights, and you should be able to ignore pin 6, it's just the backlighting for the buttons, but if the other five are connected I can't see why it wouldn't work.

AdsSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated. Ill have a crack at it tomorrow.

AdsSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know this is a fairly old thread but how did you go doing this?

Well, i tried to do it myself but couldn't get it to work.

I ended taking it to an auto electrician who had to run a new wire up from the headlight switch to get the map lights to work. Cost me about $100 for him to do it.

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
Hmm, interesting, only today I have tried to put a small USB power supply from the 4 Pin connector, I'm also going to have to run a wire from the ACC power for the charger.
This is so I can charge the GPS & Video camera without having to run the 5M of lead from the accessory socket.

I also niticed there was a rattle coming from that part of the roof, but couldn't pin point it - have now found it.
The plastic base for the inside light / Sunnies holder is held to the metal frame of the roof of the car by 4 self-tapper screws, each of them with a square plastic washer / spacer. I had two loose ones. To resolve it I simply undid the screws, turned the washers round 90deg and screwed them back in again. They no longer rattle.

For those who want to pull the lights from the roof, get a clean putty knife, place it in the centre of the unit, just in front of the mirror and pull down. You'll have about 10cm of lead to play with.

Black Knight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6
I'm in the process of fitting the map light equipped interior light myself. You can remove the plastic trim in front of the dash at the base of the windscreen on the drivers side. In the corner is where the roof harness plugs in. It's a grey plug. The harness doesn't have the necessary wires but the connector that it plugs into has all the connections you need as I think it may be a standard harness to this point. Some of the unused pins appear to have constant power and one I found is accessory switched which I'm going to use to power the map lights and a DVR. This may be a good option for someone who is looking for a charging point but not sure how much load it will take. Just remove the A pillar trim and run the wire with the rest of the harness and tuck it into the roof lining. If you need more roof lining flexibility you can remove the sun visor and it's clip.
An auto elec may even be able to supply the terminal that will plug into the harness plug and make the job a piece of piss. I just got a plug from the wreckers that I'm going to use the terminals out of.
Also I think if you tap of the power lead in the light cavity that goes to the normal dome light you will need to turn it on before the map lights will work which is an easier task but I wanted them to work independent of each other.

Last edited: