Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Map reading light for my SSV ute

imoo6170

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi, I justed priced a new Calais Map Light kit - did everyone else pay about $370??

AdsSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heron White VE SSV Ute Man
Hi, I justed priced a new Calais Map Light kit - did everyone else pay about $370??

I got mine from a wreckers. (commwreck in bankstown) for $75. Call them to see if they have one there.

imoo6170

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
I'm in the process of fitting the map light equipped interior light myself. You can remove the plastic trim in front of the dash at the base of the windscreen on the drivers side. In the corner is where the roof harness plugs in. It's a grey plug. The harness doesn't have the necessary wires but the connector that it plugs into has all the connections you need as I think it may be a standard harness to this point. Some of the unused pins appear to have constant power and one I found is accessory switched which I'm going to use to power the map lights and a DVR. This may be a good option for someone who is looking for a charging point but not sure how much load it will take. Just remove the A pillar trim and run the wire with the rest of the harness and tuck it into the roof lining. If you need more roof lining flexibility you can remove the sun visor and it's clip.
An auto elec may even be able to supply the terminal that will plug into the harness plug and make the job a piece of piss. I just got a plug from the wreckers that I'm going to use the terminals out of.
Also I think if you tap of the power lead in the light cavity that goes to the normal dome light you will need to turn it on before the map lights will work which is an easier task but I wanted them to work independent of each other.
So just to clarify your saying just shove some wires up there and plug em into the new thing? Its expensive but miss all my lights from my lumina!

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Maybe related, I have a WM caprice, Trunk light, Exterior mirror lights, map reading lights, Glovebox lamp, all not working, have a Rellim wiring diagram book but still cant for the life of me identify which fuse might be responsible

Any clues?

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
To find a dead fuse is quite simple, if you have a volmeter, place both probes across the exposed metal parts on top of the fuse, turn the lights on, and measure the voltage. If one side shows 12v and the other nothing, then that fuse would probably be open circuit, or to make it easier, connect one end of the meter to ground, and probe both sides of the fuse. They should both show the same, either 0 or 12V. If one doesn't then thats the one.

The fuse panel box should also show a legend as to what fuse does what job. The fuse may have even ben removed and not re-installed.

Hope this helps.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
If only it were that simple

All the above mentioned lights are on the same Orange wire bus that connects directly to the BCM, via connector B1.

No suitable mention on any of the fuse panel covers, owners handbook, or anything.

The BCM must get its voltage from somewhere to be able to switch/dim/delay.

I think these lights are also part of the stuff that stays off when the car goes into Battery Saver Mode, and may have a delayed off feature for when the owner is poking around in the dark

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Found it

Not mentioned on any of the diagrams, covers, etc, but interior fusebox, F5 'Inadvert Power'

I am guessing (without a BCM diagram to help) that the power goes into BCM for switching and delay purposes, then out thru connection B1 and to the various lights but there is no B +ve source up there, if someone wishes to locate a USB outlet or similar, they will need to run a wire from a suitable source

For neatness, wires can be run behind the A-pillar trim, flip open the little cover marked AIRBAG to expose a TX-20 screw, remove and the trim can be removed easily.

One source of power is the electric seat supply, and there is battery +ve at pin 18 of the DLC

EJVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi All.
I'm putting the map reading lights and sun-visors with lights into my SV6 ute.
I've got all the necessary connectors and am going to make up a new roof loom. The roof loom plugs in under the tweeter panel on the drivers side. Does anyone have the pinout for for this connector ? As mentioned above, all the pins are in this connector, I just need to know which ones to use.
Tks in advance.
Rgds.

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
Sorry for the Necro, did this for a mate today.

Used the info in the thread, but played safe.
Unsolded both light panels used the old controls and soldered the triple led onto pins1-2 and ran a wire from the blue tooth connection behind glove box to feed acc power to pins 3-4 on led board.
Only extra bit could have been to visit a mate with a Ford and borrow his red nail polish to paint the backlight LEDs .