Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max Tyre Width?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Some of you may or may not know that my car used to belong to the boys in blue. This means the Enforcers (Which I STILL need to get centre caps for >.>) are supposed to have 225/60r15's on them, which in my opinion, look pretty fat... But then I remember the Tiger Paw 245/60r15's that used to be on my Valiant, and instantaneously made a very sticky mess in my pants. (Lonely Island anyone?).
Then I saw this:

BFGoodrich RTA 15 inch tyre 275/60/R15 suit mag wheels | eBay

And I Jizzed in my pants! Please stop acting like your not impressed... Ok Ill stop now.

So, question time (you probably could have skipped all the crap I wrote and just read this part but whatever, its written now... I should probably spell check it).

What's the Maximum width tyre I can put on my VX Commodore without the tyres scraping against crap when I turn the wheel...

I really want them... They are sexy... And the white lettering? Sexy... Very sexy.

Oh! I also ordered a JC sticker from Tuff Stickers! So will po... Oh that has nothing to do with anything. Ill finish now. Thanks in advance!

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Depends what rims you want to run. Keeping the interceptor 15x7's, im not sure what will physically fit on the rim. 245 would probably be the widest you would want to go, and if it exists in the right dimensions to fit your rim, you would want 245/55/15. Traditionally though, tread widths this wide are usually run on bigger rims which are also 8" wide. If you can't fit such a tyre on your 15x7's you could perhaps consider getting them widened to 8" from places like Morton & May down here in sydney.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Members Ride
Woah! didn't even take into consideration the Depth of the Rim, just figured... 15Inch rim was a 15 inch rim... I might just end up going 225/60r15 like was on the inteceptors when the Blue had it... But thicker would be very nice.

Thanks mate.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Nope, the police interceptor rims (original silver) are 15" by 7" wide (and originally run 225/60/15), unlike regular "stockies" which people do paint silver, but are only 6" wide (and run 205/65/15).

Actually there is something you can do, the VE interceptors will fit 245 wide tyres which do look tuff, but they are a 16" rim. You'll need to get the centre machined out of them to fit though. But then there is the offset to consider which may mean you have scrubbing issues on the insides of the wheel wells in the back and struts in the front.

Just putting more ideas out there.

Dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah pretty much if I have to mod anything, I will just go the 225/60's. Which look tuff anyway. I have one still as my spare. Got it out today.. Is a beautiful thing :D And if I get BF Goodrich, then I can have the white writing on them as well, which I personally thing looks awesome.

Reaction score
Members Ride

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
225/60 R15 on the front, and 235/60 or 255/50 R25 on the rear...
BUT, to run the 235-245-255 rears, you WILL need to get ur speedo recalibrated. [cog/gear inside box to correct ur electronic speedo/ ecu]. best bet, and something i had done to my old Vn sedan, VP wagz, and now VS acclaim[irs] just run 225's all round as no rubbing anywhere.. ill be runnin 235/60 on the rear of mine, only cause i do highway runs all the time [ hence living in emerald and workin at moura 3hrs away, and driving to brissie every month {2000km round trip}]. you must remember, anymore than 13mm more than the Overall Diameter of the FACTORY SIZED TYRE, calls for those lovely orange tickets that the Blue Man Group absolutely love to hand out to us modifiers...:( just be wary when you make ur choice of tyres and sizes k...

Reaction score
Members Ride
So, in a round about way of saying it: Get 225's all round :p That is probably the best way to go, as I think bigger at the back and smaller at the front (Like I have now) is vomit... Last thing I want is rubbing...

Thanks for all your help :D

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
no worries mate..
it is easier, and cheaper to run the same size all round, and to save rubbing issues...

225's should be from 80-150 each.. get a good brand, but if ya intend of smokin them, get SAVA brand.. from Beaurepaires.. cheap, and nasty to boot..lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where can you pick em up for $80? I paid $89 for my 205/65's >.<

I thought they would be heaps more expensive then 150.. Those BF Goodrich ones are $200 of ebay inc freight >.<