Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mechanics ripping off girls...

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Well the only way I can relate to this is when a client calls me up asking for a quote and I offer and inflated price based on the workload I already have.

Coming up to Christmas in the building game, everyone panics and wants everything done yesterday, so would I offer my standard rate to a customer when I would have to put other jobs on hold to help them out? No...

I offer a price, and its usually double, and if they take it, they get the job done and I get more money to compensate for the loss Im obtaining from walking away from the booked jobs I already have...

But also I have noticed in the car game, that when I call up about my 4runner and be completely honest about it all in regards to its modifications, I usually get inflated prices and Pedders wont actually work on my truck because its too modified, so i wouldn't be surprised if they upped the price by double just to factor in the inevitability of a "prick of a job" that they would almost certainly be up for.

Not always the case, but food for thought nonetheless....

Kaitlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
What astounds me though, is I was supplying the product... I have the shockers and whatnot. I only wanted to pay for the labour. Which should not have been $400 in the first place. And I do have it booked somewhere that I trust. My partner has had a bit of work done there and he speaks very highly of the guy who is doing it.

My original point though, was mechanics ripping off woman. I myself have had this happen multiple times. And refused to go back to whoever has over quoted me. My friend had work done to her muffler (I'm not sure what because she doesn't understand cars at all) but they quoted her grandmother $700 and her grandmother took it because she didnt understand... It wasn't until afterwards that she realized she was ripped off. And the car still had the problem. So she took it back an they had to pay for a new computer for her car because they didn't fix it properly in the first place...

I guess what they say is true. Karma will always come back to bite you on the bum.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
The problem is most likely caused by the miss information that you may be giving to the mechanic or lack of.... Given you admit your not to switched on in the automotive department, they could be covering their own backsides and most likely wouldn't even charge you that much in the end.

And in saying that, most quotes I get over the phone actually turn out less when paying for it at the counter....

It was a quote, and not an invoice... So its hard to say what they would have done in the end....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
See the thing is that we haven't established that in this case that the mechanic was ripping you of because of your gender. Did you get a quote from him for the same work, but through a guy? Did you ask exactly what work is being done?

It may well have been that the more expensive mechanic was doing more work, like replacing the strut-top bush and maybe even the bushes to the sway bar, and link pins.

I know my old mechanic charged more for some jobs because he refused to do it without doing some other stuff that is related. For example, I was in talking to him one day when some young guy came in with his VT V6, said he needed lifters changed, mechainc asked him to start it up and let him hear it, yep sounded like lifters. Now I can't remember the exact estimate he gave but it was around the $500 mark. Dude said he can get it a few hundred cheaper at X mechanic, my mechanic said, see ya then. Guaranteed that guy will be back with a leaking inlet manifold from shitty/reused gaskets, coolant topped up with water, and cheap shitty chinese lifters that last a week.

BackyardSpecial

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Sorry but you supply the parts then the price goes up.
If I have to fit you're parts and then listen to you whinge when they fail, blame me for them failing then I am going to charge you more in the first place to fit.
Most mechanics are sick of people supplying cheap/secondhand parts and then blaming the mechanic because they fail and then wanting warranty on the Labour.
I have an easy policy now, If you are smart enough to find cheaper parts then you are smart enough to fit them yourself.
When they fail prematureley or do not fit properly It is not my Problem.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Sorry but you supply the parts then the price goes up.
If I have to fit you're parts and then listen to you whinge when they fail, blame me for them failing then I am going to charge you more in the first place to fit.
Most mechanics are sick of people supplying cheap/secondhand parts and then blaming the mechanic because they fail and then wanting warranty on the Labour.
I have an easy policy now, If you are smart enough to find cheaper parts then you are smart enough to fit them yourself.
When they fail prematureley or do not fit properly It is not my Problem.

Absolutely right, totally agree mate.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
How do you know the labor (and consumables, waste disposal fee etc) doesn't amount to $400? If you know everything involved in the job you'd bloody do it yourself.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
If your boyfriend has such a great mechanic, Why did you not go there to start with? I have a mechanic that i recommend EVERYONE i know to. He is great walks you through everything he does and i haven't had anyone complain about his work yet. The guy knows me now on a first name basis and i can call him for any small issues and he will talk me through minor things i can fix myself, If he doesnt think im capable he tells me to bring it up if its a small job he rarely charges me.

This is why you stick to one mechanic, as i said earlier, Why would you help a stranger that will clearly not help you?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
If your boyfriend has such a great mechanic, Why did you not go there to start with? I have a mechanic that i recommend EVERYONE i know to. He is great walks you through everything he does and i haven't had anyone complain about his work yet. The guy knows me now on a first name basis and i can call him for any small issues and he will talk me through minor things i can fix myself, If he doesnt think im capable he tells me to bring it up if its a small job he rarely charges me.

This is why you stick to one mechanic, as i said earlier, Why would you help a stranger that will clearly not help you?

good customers get treated well by most mechanics, where i work good customers get treated as you are by your mechanic.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
good customers get treated well by most mechanics, where i work good customers get treated as you are by your mechanic.

And thats how it should be, They work hard. If you help them they should help you and vice versa.