Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mild L77 AFM compatible crow cam

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm not interested in re-posts on something you've read, and I'll tell you why.

My experience with race engines and camshafts began in 1980 when building a 1345cc Mini engine running on methanol with a 45 DCOE Weber carby for junior speedway. The car won the state title in '81 and '82 until the driver moved to seniors.

Moving on to today, my race engines have won 4 Australian titles in production-based circuit racing, 16 state titles across 3 different categories and hold current lap records at Mallala, The Bend, Wanneroo WA, Sandown VIC, Winton VIC, Eastern Creek NSW, Bathurst NSW and Simmons Plains TAS.

As I've mentioned previously, I post about things I've experienced or opinions on that basis and like others who share their valuable experiences and opinions greater than something they've read about, perhaps you can do the same instead?

I don't want to get into a who's dick is bigger contest.
But do you grind cams?
Or do you order a cam grind?
Unless you actually grind the cam you don't setup the pressure angles.

A cam with .500" lift and a 20 thou 220° duration can have several different lobe designs, do you design lobes?

Pointing out race cars has not much to do with the lobe designs that cam manufactures use.

I assume you order a custom cam grind and the cam grinders deliver you a cam to those specs, yet you likely don't know the exact pressure angles they setup.

I mention Ben Strader as he works at EFI university, they test all of this engineering on a spintron, infact Ben Strader designed the laser measurement system for Spintron.

I'm not saying you don't know how to make a fast car, but there's about 50 times the engines builders in the US that are achievers like you.
I listen to many of them.
Like Keith Daugton, Darrin Morgan, Billy Godbold, Steve Morris ect.
These guys have built more race winning stuff than most.
Except Billy he's a cam guy.
But take Darrin Morgan for example, his step dad was a drag racer in the 50's and used to grind his own cams.
Then Darrin started at an engine shop when he was a teenager and has been doing it for over 50 years.
When these type of guys say something I listen as it's always correct.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I don't want to get into a who's dick is bigger contest.
Excellent, that's a good start!

But do you grind cams?
Or do you order a cam grind?
Unless you actually grind the cam you don't setup the pressure angles.
No, I don't grind cams, Crow Cams have ground mine since 1997.
A cam with .500" lift and a 20 thou 220° duration can have several different lobe designs, do you design lobes?
Correct, flat tappet mechanical and hydraulic and roller mechanical and hydraulic.

Pointing out race cars has not much to do with the lobe designs that cam manufactures use.
It does actually, because cam selection is all about the car accelerating faster than the competition.

I assume you order a custom cam grind and the cam grinders deliver you a cam to those specs, yet you likely don't know the exact pressure angles they setup.
Correct, Crow Cams don't offer "pressure angle options" with custom grinds.

I mention Ben Strader
Didn't I ask you not to re-post something you've read, Ben Strader doesn't hold the Bathurst lap record in my racing category, I do with a custom grind Crow Cam.

I'm not saying you don't know how to make a fast car, but there's about 50 times the engines builders in the US that are achievers like you.
The funny thing is with sprint car racing huge in the USA, many have spent thousands importing Rider and Kistler engines to get beaten by cars with Maxwill and PM engines built here in SA at half the cost. It's ok reading all their different engine theories, but you can't hang your hat on any of them until you've proven what works best yourself.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Here you go Nev.
This cam was likely speced by a top engine guy and race car guy. Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they know everything.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here you go Nev.
This cam was likely speced by a top engine guy and race car guy. Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they know everything.
That's why you can't hang your hat on someone's theory. I've tried many camshafts that made more power on the dyno but on the track, they didn't work, and the car produced slower lap times. You don't know what works optimally until you test it.