Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mild L77 AFM compatible crow cam

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
The AFM camshafts had lower profile lobes on them, even a stock camshaft will make more power. You mentioned that you got the lifters replaced at 140ks.
Were the old ones tapping? Mate the AFM is a joke, I've got a @Range AFM delete on ours at the moment. Was there any reason why you didn't get a sports cam when you got the lifters done
If you had to get the revised lifters changed at 140k, it doesn't fill me with confidence about the standard ones in our L76. Good luck.

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
The AFM camshafts had lower profile lobes on them, even a stock camshaft will make more power. You mentioned that you got the lifters replaced at 140ks.
Were the old ones tapping? Mate the AFM is a joke, I've got a @Range AFM delete on ours at the moment. Was there any reason why you didn't get a sports cam when you got the lifters done
If you had to get the revised lifters changed at 140k, it doesn't fill me with confidence about the standard ones in our L76. Good luck.
Yeah absolutely started getting the well known dreaded lifter tick. Car went to a dealership so had no option but to only get standard parts replaced, and so I could attempt a warranty claim with Holden (unsuccessful but worth a try). So that's the background. In retrospect I should have investigated better options at the time.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I always see these topics and want to say, why not just do AFM delete and open the door of cam choice and remove known weaknesses/problems.
AFM is a sales pitch at best. Real world driving it’s “benefits” would be negated by any squirts you give it getting to cruising speed and if people really think they can’t afford to run it without AFM then maybe the V8 life isn’t for them because, regardless, they drink plenty.
SFA difference on the $ when I had my old Caprice DOD turned off, tuned and went to 3.7 gears and it was daily driven. I still only filled it up once a week on the Wednesday arvo drive home, if I had to guess it would be *maybe* $10 more a week.
Even convinced the old man to get his turned off!!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The extra cost would be minimal for the choice of cam and performance gain

But I would look at other things while your in there, like lifters and pushrods

I would look at the total cost for delete and cam, drive in drive out, then, if it exceeds your budget, think about putting it off for a while and saving the extra coin

That way you can everything sorted, in one go, and not regret it later on

images.jpeg-5.jpg

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I always see these topics and want to say, why not just do AFM delete and open the door of cam choice and remove known weaknesses/problems.
AFM is a sales pitch at best. Real world driving it’s “benefits” would be negated by any squirts you give it getting to cruising speed and if people really think they can’t afford to run it without AFM then maybe the V8 life isn’t for them because, regardless, they drink plenty.
SFA difference on the $ when I had my old Caprice DOD turned off, tuned and went to 3.7 gears and it was daily driven. I still only filled it up once a week on the Wednesday arvo drive home, if I had to guess it would be *maybe* $10 more a week.
Even convinced the old man to get his turned off!!
So it does nothing but saves you $10 a week eh...

Obviously AFM does work GM use it on their LT1 and other engines including the Camaro.

It's a cruising speed fuel saving device and at light throttle the saving is about 15% it's not insignificant, especially for those that do highway driving frequently.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
So it does nothing but saves you $10 a week eh...

Obviously AFM does work GM use it on their LT1 and other engines including the Camaro.

It's a cruising speed fuel saving device and at light throttle the saving is about 15% it's not insignificant, especially for those that do highway driving frequently.
GM discontinued using AFM in late 2019 or 20. At 80k l was going to change the plugs on our L76. There was little or no difference between the plug gap in the 4 cylinders that fire all of the time and the AFM (cutout) cylinders.
Edit GM were still phasing out AFM motors in their trucks in 2022.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
in the US they use AFM along with VVT which we never got so the AFM alone dosnt do much, for starters when afm is enabled it opens the manifold to almost atmospheric or like having a big camshaft as map values are in the 80kpa range where all cylinders firing is about the 35kpa range so more vacuum is better, then the 4 firing cylinders also have to make the same torque as the 8 cylinders to keep the car at a constant speed so it would almost even itself out but more drag 4 cylinders also turning same crank plus 4 more pistons not helping the rotation, given if tuned (alot better then factory) there can be some gains, but biggest gains are coupled with VVT which does most of the work

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
in the US they use AFM along with VVT which we never got so the AFM alone dosnt do much, for starters when afm is enabled it opens the manifold to almost atmospheric or like having a big camshaft as map values are in the 80kpa range where all cylinders firing is about the 35kpa range so more vacuum is better, then the 4 firing cylinders also have to make the same torque as the 8 cylinders to keep the car at a constant speed so it would almost even itself out but more drag 4 cylinders also turning same crank plus 4 more pistons not helping the rotation, given if tuned (alot better then factory) there can be some gains, but biggest gains are coupled with VVT which does most of the work
How is this still a conversation after all these years

It is worth a 10-15% saving at highway speeds, less around town as there is less constant speed to be maintained.

PirAte went on endlessly about it and he's correct.

It's on the fuel consumption figures Holden posted the SS went from 14.3L to 12.6L combined moving from the L98 to L76.

My own car saw with no Aircon on about 8.2L/100 on the highway with AFM engaged. After a tune and turning it off, and albeit a diff change to 3.27 instead of 2.92, best I can do is 9.5L/100km.

Even stock on highway speeds before I had the tune you can see the instant trip meter readout dropping 1L/100km or more once AFM engages

As I'm about to have bi modals installed I'll be asking for AFM back on as I can control the sound which is the main issue.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
How is this still a conversation after all these years

It is worth a 10-15% saving at highway speeds, less around town as there is less constant speed to be maintained.

PirAte went on endlessly about it and he's correct.

It's on the fuel consumption figures Holden posted the SS went from 14.3L to 12.6L combined moving from the L98 to L76.

My own car saw with no Aircon on about 8.2L/100 on the highway with AFM engaged. After a tune and turning it off, and albeit a diff change to 3.27 instead of 2.92, best I can do is 9.5L/100km.

Even stock on highway speeds before I had the tune you can see the instant trip meter readout dropping 1L/100km or more once AFM engages

As I'm about to have bi modals installed I'll be asking for AFM back on as I can control the sound which is the main issue.

Who's PirAte?