Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Milky oil on oil cap

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Hey guys just bought a project ve Berlina for very cheap ($700) with good ks and very good condition exterior and interior,
Suspected blown head gasket, I bought it as a project to keep me busy for a while, just wanted to see if anyone has done this job before and any advice on things that others might not think of,
Symptoms
Milky on oil cap and under rocker cover
No milky oil on dipstick which I found weird
White smoke from tail pipe
And some overheating
Other than that timing is good no rattle on cold start and drives very smooth. Before I bought it I found out I could get 2nd hand heads for $180 just incase of a cracked head so that’s not bad, so yeah any advice on this would be great thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Going to guess it’s a V6 at that price.
it is a complicated procedure to do the heads on these. It’s not like V8 or previous Buick based V6 motors.
Cams and timing chains get all into it. As they do with many popular motors.
It’s going to take a long time to do.

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Going to guess it’s a V6 at that price.
it is a complicated procedure to do the heads on these. It’s not like V8 or previous Buick based V6 motors.
Cams and timing chains get all into it. As they do with many popular motors.
It’s going to take a long time to do.
Yeah I was assuming the timing chain had allot to do with it, cams off to get to the head bolts and to retime I’m assuming the front timing cover needs to come off right

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Yeah I was assuming the timing chain had allot to do with it, cams off to get to the head bolts and to retime I’m assuming the front timing cover needs to come off right
I did a timing chain on my sv6 a while ago so I’m confident with that

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If you are doing the heads, get them checked over. Plan to replace the chains etc too while it’s all open. Oil pump also.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I second the Oil Pump,

The VE V6 Oil Pumps are know to fail,
as Common as a Commodores are to Hoons.

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Ju
I second the Oil Pump,

The VE V6 Oil Pumps are know to fail,
as Common as a Commodores are to Hoons.
I just got the cover off and the chain is in good condition, good tension looks like they have done it with a good chain, looking at the amount of gunk on the head I’m surprised it could breath through the crank case and didnt mess with the oil pressure and chain, it is allot harder than the head I did on my 6.0l allot more parts and bolts but someone with a bit of knowledge can do it no problem as long as they seperate all the bolts and parts because they will get confusing, I will do the oil pump while I’m retiming

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
One thing that does confuse me is the camshaft alignment tool that mace sells, from the last timing chain I did on a sv6 I didn’t have a problem lining up the marks on the chain to the cams, is the tool for keeping them still while taking the head off or something, I can’t find much information on this, I just locked mine together with an old timing chain and a zip tie just in case, might be a dumb question but I would rather be safe