Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spool question

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I spin both wheels on take off if I plant my foot in the dry. But even if its a 355 stroker spinning it up in a straight line won't harm an LSD. Its doughies or turning to lock and planting it that will eventually wear it over time, and as most of us do I can't help but give it some when making a right hand turn.

havn't met a person yet who only does straight line burnouts, and never ringies. Hence why i'm so quick to recommend a spool over an LSD.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
havn't met a person yet who only does straight line burnouts, and never ringies. Hence why i'm so quick to recommend a spool over an LSD.

no offence to you stealthy but i don't sit there and do rings. the guy who built my diff (LSD) says it will hold up fine doing rings but suggested going left hand rather then right hand. he also said left hand it would do much tighter circles. my diff guy builds diffs for the local V8 racing series as well as for the drag racing scene here and is well known at the local drag strip so when he speaks from his 20+ years experience in the industry i'm going to believe what he says.

i have no doubt that a spool is stronger then an LSD and will be better if your intention is to mainly do rings and burnouts etc. but seeing as my missus does drive this car i don't think a spool would ever be considered a smart option for a daily driver. even in the wet the LSD is a hand full.....if you drive and like to steer with the throttle as i do. however if you back off and take it nice and easy it's no different to having an open diff

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
rings are way mor fun than straight lines, you can do 3-4 circles and and there's rubber pasted every where, looks like you just done 10 circles, and then you take off and leave some lines for 20 meters, but mate, once you do some good rings, straight liners seem sh!t, boring.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I was more worried about the ratcheting sound giving your car increased 'defect me' factor from the cops, yeah there legal, but try telling a cop on a power trip that. Much easier having a spool that doesn't alert them to anything

...except for the skipping/chattering/chirping inside tyre...

in either case, I'm not particularly worried about being defected - if it's legal then it should be a piece of cake to get cleared....

The issue is when you go sliding around and accidentally end up in a Bentley..... or seriously injuring someone..... If the insurance co./police realise you have a locked rear axle, you could end up with some neg. driving charges and no payout.

Having said this, I drove with a spool for a good 2 years or so? - and have asbolutely no complaints (apart from rooted upper control arm bushes - but they were old anyway)... Just I figured I'd like to keep the new car as legit as possible :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 mazda 808, VN S1, VH SLE
Well look i have driven both LSD's and spools so i know the way they drive in the dry and wet,

i only started the thread to find out the spline for the spool, and i should manage on how to put the dam thing in thank you people!!!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
...except for the skipping/chattering/chirping inside tyre...

in either case, I'm not particularly worried about being defected - if it's legal then it should be a piece of cake to get cleared....

The issue is when you go sliding around and accidentally end up in a Bentley..... or seriously injuring someone..... If the insurance co./police realise you have a locked rear axle, you could end up with some neg. driving charges and no payout.

Having said this, I drove with a spool for a good 2 years or so? - and have asbolutely no complaints (apart from rooted upper control arm bushes - but they were old anyway)... Just I figured I'd like to keep the new car as legit as possible :)
Honestly, the skipping/chattering/chirping isn't as extreme as people make it out to be. I could have a cop behind me the whole way to work, and he'd never even know my car has a spool, but that really comes down to your driving style.

Good for you if you think things are easily cleared. For us in SA, its not as easy as going to your local mechanic, you take it to 1 of the 2 inspection stations we have, and then they give you a list of pointless things (such as they wanted my car to have 3 child restraints, yes 3) that you have to rectify.
Safety things i can understand, but **** like that is wasting peoples time and money. So avoiding having that ratchetting sound will save that for me. Keeping in mind i've only heard 1 vid of them in action, but it seemed a ****load louder than my engine.

A spool will not make you go sliding around into a bentley. An unpredictable worn out LSD will however.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
no offence to you stealthy but i don't sit there and do rings. the guy who built my diff (LSD) says it will hold up fine doing rings but suggested going left hand rather then right hand. he also said left hand it would do much tighter circles. my diff guy builds diffs for the local V8 racing series as well as for the drag racing scene here and is well known at the local drag strip so when he speaks from his 20+ years experience in the industry i'm going to believe what he says.

i have no doubt that a spool is stronger then an LSD and will be better if your intention is to mainly do rings and burnouts etc. but seeing as my missus does drive this car i don't think a spool would ever be considered a smart option for a daily driver. even in the wet the LSD is a hand full.....if you drive and like to steer with the throttle as i do. however if you back off and take it nice and easy it's no different to having an open diff

Thats funny, my diff builder has as many years building diffs for top fuelers. I guess we should swp diff builders then, cause LSDs are perfect for straightline use, and spools are better for track use (keeping in mind the brutes run a spooled diff)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Honestly, the skipping/chattering/chirping isn't as extreme as people make it out to be. I could have a cop behind me the whole way to work, and he'd never even know my car has a spool, but that really comes down to your driving style.

Yeh you're right - It's definately not 'extreme'... but in my opinion it's noticable. How noticable really depends on road surface/tyre tread softness, bushes, shocks, springs, IRS/solid axle, weight of the car, and heaps of other factors. If you're good, you can just put down enough power to get the inside wheel to wheelspin smoothly aound a tight turn, rather than hop :p..

I've had to turn the car around in front of a cop to go home to get my licence.... he gave me some very odd looks when I did a 5 point turn when I clearly could have done a U turn (or 3 U turns next to each other if I used the powA of the locked diff :p)

A spool will not make you go sliding around into a bentley. An unpredictable worn out LSD will however.

I dont' care what style diff you have - it's not the diff that sends you into the Bentley, it's the driver.... If people choose to believe they will never crash because they're an ace driver then go for it, but to me there's too many unpredictable circumstances on the road to be this confident - hence trying to keep car as legal as possible.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Thats funny, my diff builder has as many years building diffs for top fuelers. I guess we should swp diff builders then, cause LSDs are perfect for straightline use, and spools are better for track use (keeping in mind the brutes run a spooled diff)

This is exactly what I'm talking about, spools are good for TRACK USE. Freaks who use the roads like a track are a menace to every normal road user out there. Had one overtake me this morning (illegally as well I might also mention) only for him to come a cropper not 1km later as he put too much boot in through an off camber corner. Doubt the accident was diff related, but the point remains the same, driving like a retard on public roads will eventually catch up with you. (and hopefully no one else gets taken with you) Speaking of which, WHY THE **** DO YOU NEED A FULLY LOCKED DIFF IN A STREET CAR?

I've actually been considering spooling my VN as I'm now driving a mazda 121 as my daily and the VN sees very rare road use, there's NEVER wet weather round here, (well not in recent memory anyway) and believe it or not, my long term plans for the wagon involve track work. Only thing that's stopping me is that from what I've seen, skipping around tight corners is definitely an issue, and like immortality's car, occasionally A to B type drivers need to have a steer. What really gets to me is your attitude stealthy, this whole, "i need a completely solid, fully reliably locked diff so I can drop a burnout wherever/whenever." It's irresponsible and unsafe, you might think it's your right, but it impinges on others legally established rights. GROW UP.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

i not disagreeing with you, ultimatly the spool is the way to go for track work. funnily enough F1 doesn't use spooled diffs as far as im aware, they use LSD of some sort although i think they can alter it electronically. my point it that for track work the spool rules, the reason it's used in many racing series is it evens the playing field where as an LSD can be altered, the spools are also cheaper for budget reasons too.

for daily drivers there is nothing wrong with an LSD, if your giving it enough stick to make an LSD (even a worn one) step out sideways it wouldn't matter if it was LSD or spool, both would be sliding with the same result. also, if holden didn't have the LSD as fitted to the commodore built for the lowest possible price they wouldn't wear out as fast as they do. even straight from the factory there not all that spectacular. once there tightened up a little with decent springs in em there just fine.

at the end of the day, the member has the info he requested and is happy to go and do as he pleases. lets leave it at that