Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini !!!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Applied to the clip and zip tied to hold it in place whilst curing.

3cQ0dbo.jpeg

Now to wait 15 hours to see if it does what it says on the box.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Didn't your son get a Lancer?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Didn't your son get a Lancer?

Yep.

Young Miss gets her Ls in 6 months time so I bought out the young bloke's share and we have decided to hang onto this for her learner car.

Devil you know and all that.

May well regret that decision lol.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Applied to the clip and zip tied to hold it in place whilst curing.

3cQ0dbo.jpeg

Now to wait 15 hours to see if it does what it says on the box.
Classic JB weld 8265s which is a 2 part liquid sets in 15 to 20 hours though it’s listed as petrol resistant which is somewhat different to being able to live submerged in a bath of petrol :rolleyes:

Not sure whether JB weld tankweld 8217 would have been a better product to use though it’s a 2 part putty that sets in a hour but even that product just states petrol resistant?

So I’m curious how this will turn out and hope it works :cool:

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Classic JB weld 8265s which is a 2 part liquid sets in 15 to 20 hours though it’s listed as petrol resistant which is somewhat different to being able to live submerged in a bath of petrol :rolleyes:

Not sure whether JB weld tankweld 8217 would have been a better product to use though it’s a 2 part putty that sets in a hour but even that product just states petrol resistant?

So I’m curious how this will turn out and hope it works :cool:

I'm also curious.

One of the reviews for this was by someone who used it on a fuel pump assembly and claimed it worked fine in fuel.

Time will tell.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm also curious.

One of the reviews for this was by someone who used it on a fuel pump assembly and claimed it worked fine in fuel.

Time will tell.
The other potential problem is ethanol :rolleyes: The product packaging I’ve seen doesn’t mention ethanol resistance… supposedly ethanol can soften most epoxies over time…

Phenol novalac epoxy (EPN) is one resin that can supposedly handle immersion in petrol, ethanol and other harsh chemicals but is harder to get, probably more expensive.

It may be worth calling JB Weld and chatting to their technical people… and/or getting a small sample of EP to coat your JB weld repair…

Better than throwing it together and your gree P plate daughter being left by the side of the road because of an epoxy failure…

PS: alternatively you could mix up a small batch of JB weld and make two small sample rods Let them harden and once cured put them in a tin of ethanol and a tin of petrol and let them soak for a week… if they are still hard after a week then it’s probably going to be ok but if the samples come out sticky or softened, you need another glue…

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The other potential problem is ethanol :rolleyes: The product packaging I’ve seen doesn’t mention ethanol resistance… supposedly ethanol can soften most epoxies over time…

Phenol novalac epoxy (EPN) is one resin that can supposedly handle immersion in petrol, ethanol and other harsh chemicals but is harder to get, probably more expensive.

It may be worth calling JB Weld and chatting to their technical people… and/or getting a small sample of EP to coat your JB weld repair…

Better than throwing it together and your gree P plate daughter being left by the side of the road because of an epoxy failure…

PS: alternatively you could mix up a small batch of JB weld and make two small sample rods Let them harden and once cured put them in a tin of ethanol and a tin of petrol and let them soak for a week… if they are still hard after a week then it’s probably going to be ok but if the samples come out sticky or softened, you need another glue…

Is there ethanol 91 ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is there ethanol 91 ?
E10 contains 10% ethanol but I was told by national fuel regulator pre Covid that 91 & 95 can contain an undisclosed amount of ethanol within, usually below 5% but not always… it’s supposedly done to meet the mandated % of ethanol that must be sold in each state/Australia… The chap said 98 doesn’t contain any ethanol…

Since all cars sold in Australia post 2000 were required to be E10 capable, having some ethanol within the cheaper fuels isn’t an issue… though I hate it… if I want ethanol, I’ll buy E10 or E85 :mad:

Ethanol history in NSW below but you have to read between the lines somewhat…

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
E10 contains 10% ethanol but I was told by national fuel regulator pre Covid that 91 & 95 can contain an undisclosed amount of ethanol within, usually below 5% but not always… it’s supposedly done to meet the mandated % of ethanol that must be sold in each state/Australia… The chap said 98 doesn’t contain any ethanol…

Since all cars sold in Australia post 2000 were required to be E10 capable, having some ethanol within the cheaper fuels isn’t an issue… though I hate it… if I want ethanol, I’ll buy E10 or E85 :mad:

Ethanol history in NSW below but you have to read between the lines somewhat…

[/URL]

Interesting.

We don't have E10 in WA so safe from that.

I can't find any mentions of ethanol being included in 91 online.

I'll roll the dice.

Still 6 months till Young Miss gets behind the wheel and I'll be there anyway (and at least 18 months till she is driving solo). I would think that if it is going to fail, it will fail by then.

And then there is always roadside assist which helped the young bloke when the pump died.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't find any mentions of ethanol being included in 91 online.
The fuel standard regulation allows the fuel companies to put what they like in 91 and 95 as long as it doesn’t damage your car and it’s RON is not less than advertised..

The ethanol requirements associated with the fuel standards regulation (at least along the eastern seaboard, not sure about WA) require a particular % of the fuel total be ethanol.

So if E10 sales don’t quite get it to the required mandated level, those fuel companies just put something less than 10% ethanol in other fuels (like 91 & 95) as they know it won’t damage your vehicle. Doing such allows them to meet their legal requirements..,

Unfortunately, as a result you’ll never know when and exactly how much ethanol may be in 91 RON (at least on the eastern seaboard, don’t know about WA).
Still 6 months till Young Miss gets behind the wheel and I'll be there anyway (and at least 18 months till she is driving solo). I would think that if it is going to fail, it will fail by then.
Yeah, if it’s going to fail, one would think it’ll fail before then :cool:

Still, it isn’t much effort to make a small test rod of the epoxy and soak it in some ethanol (if you have e85 locally 100 ml is more than enough and would cost next to nothing). Put it to the test for a week :cool: rather than relying on forum post where someone said it worked well but may have never reposted when/if it all fell apart on them :rolleyes:

Just do it then you can let us all know the difference between fuel immersion and fuel resistant :p:p:p