Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

misfiring?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
I have an 83 VH that has a fairly big problem... i dont know what it is but the best way to describe it is it sounds like a subaru engine. we all know the sound right? it was happening a while ago after i changed spark plugs and leads but it seemed to fix itself after a while. i cleaned my engine with degreaser and a high pressure hose yesterday to see where an oil leak was coming from (its the rocker cover gasket i believe) and the problem has come back. what the hell is it? :ranting:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
If u washed ur engine then maybe one of the electrical components got wet? Take ur dizzy cap off and see if it's damp inside, and also wipe over all the contacts, lead ends and spark plugs.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Have u replace your rocket cover gasket? or maybe the rocketcover bolts are lose?

I tighten the bolts up when its cold then after the engine has warmed up.
"Don't over tighten as u may snap ur bolt in half. " it'll be stuck then :p"

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive checked everything electrical im fairly confident its not anything to do with that. i havent replaced the rocket cover or gasket but will be doing so soon as oil is leaking from there. could it be pressure coming from the seals? i dont have the power i used to have either. sometimes the engine will smooth out and power will return maybe half way through 2nd if i accelerate hard. im thinking maybe i wrecked the seal more with the high pressure hose? i dont know but its annoying

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone got any ideas? another thing does the length of a spark plug lead affect anything? ive bought 2 sets of spark plugs in my search for an answer but with 2 different brands they are still a bit short for my car they reach but some look a bit uncomfortable. they are for a vh according to box. does oil going down into where the spark plugs go into affect also? im just listing things ive done that may be the cause. what else... post them as i remember

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
yobbo88 said:
does oil going down into where the spark plugs go into affect also? im just listing things ive done that may be the cause. what else... post them as i remember
How do you mean by oil going down into where the spark plugs are? If it's what I'm thinking then yes, it would have an effect, by the oil 'soaking' the end of the spark plug, and the spark may not be able to jump due it being covered in oil.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah with the leak coming from the rocker cover when i changed the plugs as soon as i pulled them out oil dribbled down there and i would assume as more oil has leaked it has soaked down around the plugs. ill check tomorrow to se if they have oil on them and if so will clean them and see what happens. i hope it is something relatively simple. im looking into having the engine reconditioned also (reason behind that choice is i like it original) and just wondering on ballpark price?

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that would be one of the first things I'd be checking. It seems very likely that your plugs could be soaked in oil, and this is whats causing the miss-fire. Expecially if a decent amount of oil went down there.

Like you said, just take them out, and clean any oil off them and see if there's a difference.

I'm not too sure on engine reconditioning prices though...

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
alright sounds good ill give it a go. this car is a pain in the butt! straight as interior and exterior but lazy ass owner when it came to services... its from my pop by the way and he stopped servicing it a looooong time ago. a well its a life lesson i spose. car=money pit of joy

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
hahaha, sounds like my VN, immaculate everywhere apart from the general matienence of the engine!!

Lets us know how you go with yours!!