Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Misses says get a new car, get a new car I will. (Juuust Checking VE's)

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Ah sadly nothing that cool. One day.

It's a little corolla with a 4age.

Hmmm.jpg

So I just need to swap out the VY and life can continue with family harmony.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
With VE's, anything Series 1.5 onwards (about 2009ish onwards) is a safer bet, as they came with the more reliable High Feature V6 engines and 6 speed auto transmissions, which are reliable if maintained, however can get expensive if things go wrong...

Pre 2009ish Alloytec engines weren't too bad if maintained, but they were more likely to have timing chain issues, however the transmissions were a different story, with the 5 speed auto being pretty garbage mechanically- The 4 speed auto is good if maintained, however they're pretty ancient and are only found in the more basic VE Omega's and Berlina's pre 2009, which will not have any sort of beep beep noises and still have green LCD screens :D

Anyways, what you're probably going to want is something VE Series 2, that is an SV6 or Calais, as they came with the 3.6 Litre LTT/LFX motor which has better performance over the 3 litre LF1/LFW (found in the Omega and Berlina), which is certainly adequate, however may struggle a bit more with towing heavy loads due to less torque... In addition, the Series 2 comes with extra technology over the Series 1, and will feel a little more modern, however even the newest of VE's are at least 10 years old, so don't expect technology seen in today's cars...

Something that has been well maintained both cosmetically and mechanically with around 100-200 thousand km should be a solid car for family duties, though don't overpay and avoid abused examples, unless you get them very very cheap... If you can afford the extra fuel, I'd go for the V8 as you get more power and better resale value, though I'd probably be more inclined to go for earlier examples to avoid the AFM dramas on the later VE's...

One last thing to note, consider your options by looking at other makes and models, and don't rush to buy a car, as you're more likely to be ripped off... Also, do a PPSR report on examples you're very interested in, make sure the car is cold when inspecting, and if buying from a dealer, read the fine print on warranties as many of them aren't even worth the paper they're written on...

Happy car shopping

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Thanks for highlighting all that, puts me in the right direction. Cheers!

Yeah 15k nearly gets me rough looking ls2’s .. but yeah unsure if I care that much and or want to deal with that kind of fuel consumption.. hmmm.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ah sadly nothing that cool. One day.

It's a little corolla with a 4age.

View attachment 260636

So I just need to swap out the VY and life can continue with family harmony.

Of course.

I forgot about your recent purchase.

So is this the end of track days for the VY ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Also, do a PPSR report on examples you're very interested in
Definitely make sure you do this if it’s a private sale. I’ve had a couple of potential purchases fall through over the years because the vehicles were still encumbered. :eek:

Last thing you want is to “buy” a car and then have a finance company turn up on your doorstep to repossess it because money is still owing on it.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
hmmm I've never bought anything recently modern before... googles PPSR report... oh I see! Yes will do.

And re the commodore street/race car... well yes maybe...

It has given me a taste you see, and I'm not ready to stop going to race tracks.. but the 2nd family car needs to driveable by the partner for when kids start turning up. So the one car that I also take to the race track, well a dedicated track car I think is the correct answer for this.

Why not keep the commodore as a full fledged race car? Well it doesnt fit in the small shed, so I can see it just getting in the road, annoying everyone, ending in tears. When with bigger place, a commodore track car will return for sure :)

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks for highlighting all that, puts me in the right direction. Cheers!

Yeah 15k nearly gets me rough looking ls2’s .. but yeah unsure if I care that much and or want to deal with that kind of fuel consumption.. hmmm.
Take a look at these two- There are more if you look on other classifieds

2006 V8 Calais Sedan: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-holden-calais-ve-auto/SSE-AD-15872266/?Cr=3

2012 V8 Calais V Wagon: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...ve-series-ii-auto-my12/SSE-AD-15693050/?Cr=18

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
had 5 ves over the years V8s have been bullet proof and i must be lucky both V6 have been good(sold with 250k)

go a calais with a 6pd auto the 5sp are junk. Service history is the biggest thing with these sludge mobiles