Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

misty frequencies

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Hey all. I have a question.

I have a sub set up low pass at 80hrz and my front speakers currntly have an amp with a variable high pass filter for the fronts, but i had an amp with a fixed high pass at 150hrz. andit sounded really good. loud as, but the problem is that there is and band of 70hrz that is muted and takes depth away from the music. the current amp with variable high pass is **** because it ranges from 40hz-600hz but its alotta of guess work as to where you are.

what i want to do.

put the old amp back on the front and get some high quility speakers that can handle frequencies down to 80hz ish. what would be best 6X9's or some top quility 6in components.

or!

move my current speakers (front) to the rear and get some high quility 6in splits for the front.

thoughts?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If you are replacing speakers, the better option would be to buy something quality for the front. What is your budget? Have you tried crossing the sub LPF80hz and front speakers HPF80hz? You should be able to adjust this correctly using the adjustable crossover.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I dont know if i get what you mean, but I set on my HU the LPF to 80hz and the HPF on the HU to 100hz and it still played everthing. its a Fusion FE-402

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So sub is on LPF 80hz on the headunit and the front speakers are on HPF 100hz, set on the amplifier? What is the LPF on the amplifier for the sub set on?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I think he has the sub low passed at 80Hz on the amp and the fronts are currently high passed at who knows what because the 40-600Hz dial on the amp is too hard to determine the increments. Personally, I'd ignore that you don't know what you're exactly setting it to on the current amp dial and just set it so it sounds good.

I've always set the high pass and low pass at the same frequency... Generally, 80Hz low and 80Hz low but I've had pretty decent speakers. When I've wanted better sound quality I'd drop both filters to 63Hz and then I wanted it loud I'd bump them both up to 100Hz. This was all done via my head unit, I did set the sub amp LPF at 120Hz and speaker amp HPF at 50Hz as I knew I've never want them to play outside that range.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah ok, I get it now. I'd also suggest trying 100hz. Depending on the speakers, an 80hz cross over may be a bit harsh for them, especially if they door has not been treated properly. Best to play it safe, playing them lower will sound great but could damage them.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I tried setting the HPF on the HU to 100HZ but the sub kept making noise even though it LPF is set 80Hz on the amp :hmmm:

having the HPF set to 150Hz for the speakers seems fine for Dubstep ect but metal and Rock is where you notice the missing sound. Not only is the amps variable hight and low pass filter hard hard to put where you want they seem to do f##k all.

What would you reckon the ideal frequency range is for some sound stream splits 90watt rms

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What's the model number? How are they installed? It will be 100hz or possibly 80hz, you can try both, the 80hz will probably sound nicer and give you more midbass kick, though you have more chance of damaging the speakers (if they are in an open door, not much of an enclosure for them). Also, what is the model of your amplifier(s)?