Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Advice

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I would investigate what a tune would yield in performance. No one will be able to tell you have had it done and it might give you another 10 - 15kw at the engine and another 20nm of torque. Even more importantly it should dramatically increase the throttle response. I had my 3.6 tuned and an OTR fitted and I picked up 22rwkw which is around 27kw at the engine. Puts me up around 237kw at the engine and about 387nm of torque. These are both reasonable gains for what it is. Thinking of finishing it off with some cams now.
I have nothing against improving the performance of any car however, just remember the OP is only 17, doesn't have a license yet and already has a car that has plenty of power without endowing it with more. My advice to the OP is wait until you are off your P's before you start down the performance mods route. Remember the 'No Performance Mod' rules for P plate license holders.
Don't become another road toll statistic because you gave the car more power than you can handle.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have nothing against improving the performance of any car however, just remember the OP is only 17, doesn't have a license yet and already has a car that has plenty of power without endowing it with more. My advice to the OP is wait until you are off your P's before you start down the performance mods route. Remember the 'No Performance Mod' rules for P plate license holders.
Don't become another road toll statistic because you gave the car more power than you can handle.
Good points there!
And the OP is a Victorian, and VicPol just luv new drivers with red P's...

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Good points there!
And the OP is a Victorian, and VicPol just luv new drivers with red P's...
Yes most cops do. You may as well paint a big red target on you car if you lower your ride and throw on some huge gay looking wheels with wide rubber. Having P plates will only make the target larger.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
I've got Empire extractors and cats on my LY7 engined SV6. Can't complain about them.
I'm assuming the rest of their stuff is as decent.

If you're planning on getting coilovers or lowered & stiffer suspension. Keep the 18s. Anything bigger with lower profile tyres will make the ride really harsh.

The tyres and the sidewall are the first part of your suspension.

I'm currently running standard VF SV6 18" on my VE. Easy to clean 5 spoke and tough as.
I used to have the HSVi 19" veloce rims until one cracked.

Haven't regretted going the simpler 18 rim.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes most cops do. You may as well paint a big red target on you car if you lower your ride and throw on some huge gay looking wheels with wide rubber. Having P plates will only make the target larger.
I get pulled over still and I'm 35 . Any kind of Commodore that looks sporty. Automatic assumption that you're a Bogan who drives like one

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I get pulled over still and I'm 35 . Any kind of Commodore that looks sporty. Automatic assumption that you're a Bogan who drives like one
Dunno about elsewhere but I’ve never been pulled over in the SSV *touch wood*. Probably helps that it looks stock other than the VCM exhaust tips. I’ve got a clean driving record and Im in my forties so if they run the plates they don’t have any excuse to pull me over.

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
Hey guys, I just got my hands on a 2012 Series 2 VE Z Series Wagon 3.0L SiDi, I have a couple mods in mind, starting with an exhaust, wheels and tires, and also later on some springs.

Exhaust:
I am looking at an exhaust from Empire Performance. Specifically the Muffler delete for standard exhaust, with a resonator.
https://empireperformance.com.au/products/ve-vf-hsv-muffler-deletes?currency=AUD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqeUBhCBARIsAOdt45Zu0EVdPoZBDg_dAQUSi_sLAnWLY9g8XB3pCZd2rFCvtC_AXQi8Qm4aAsjPEALw_wcB
Any advice on the muffler delete or any better either muffler deletes or a new muffler for about the $400 range, but also if it is worth getting the resonator with them.

Wheels:
Currently looking at getting new wheels and tires fitted at Bob Jane T-Marts (my uncle practically runs the store so he can get them for cheaper), I am looking at the Forgeauto FA-5's either in 18" or 20", now he said that he cant do staggered with the 18" but he can with the 20", I would preferably not like them to poke but to just sit inside the guards and have a nice fitment.

My question is, is it worth paying the extra for 20" or just sticking with the 18", as he said he could probably do all 4 wheels and tires for about $1300. I am not sure how much it is for 20" on all 4 as he said he will get back to me.

Springs:
Currently looking at a pair of Kings KHRL - 152SLHD for the rear and Kings KHFL - 150SSL for the front. I would like the car not to scrape but also not be annoyingly low that I have to be extra cautious when driving over speed bumps and other minor stuff. I want the car to sit a bit lower so it looks nice but also don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort.

Any advice for if I should get any other stuff like the Mondroe GT Sport Shortened Shock's like the website recommends. I read someone saying they just put short rear bumper stops and wanted to know if that would be fine. Any other advice is taken into account as I have never modified a car and would like to get some advice before hand.

Thank you for reading this post, I am looking for any kind of advice on stuff I should look out for, consider getting or not get.

Hey bro i put full set of ultra low king springs shortned gt monroe shocks in rear standard shocks up front car sits nice on the road it is very still but grips up nicely missis hates it but i like it jist need some gt sports in front oh forgot to say its in vx commodore

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I would investigate what a tune would yield in performance. No one will be able to tell you have had it done and it might give you another 10 - 15kw at the engine and another 20nm of torque. Even more importantly it should dramatically increase the throttle response. I had my 3.6 tuned and an OTR fitted and I picked up 22rwkw which is around 27kw at the engine. Puts me up around 237kw at the engine and about 387nm of torque. These are both reasonable gains for what it is. Thinking of finishing it off with some cams now.
Put a supercharger instead!

Here's a video of a VF SV6 with a supercharger:

It makes around 300kw with stock internals...

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Put a supercharger instead!

Here's a video of a VF SV6 with a supercharger:

It makes around 300kw with stock internals...
Just a shame the one in the video is an auto