Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods begin? Brakes, Wheels and other q's

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
Hey guys,

As some of you know I've recently purchased a Series II SS.

I'm pretty mild in my set of mods I've had planned out since i started looking for my ss.

Brakes upgrades - Was thinking getting the Brembo brake kit for the front anyone have any opinions on this kit? I've done some googling and really only been able to find info on some wheels
19" Redline black wheels
3" catback exhaust
VCM OTR Intake
MAF Tune

Exterior
Senator lip spoiler
debadge the e85 badge

My first question basically is

I'm correct in guessing that these wheels will fit the brembo kit?
19 Inch Genuine Holden Commodore VE SSV Redline Series II Forged Wheels Custom | eBay
VE Commodore Brembo Brake Package Caliper'S AND Rotors | eBay

Anyone know where to purchase the senator lip spoiler?

I've done some searching about exhausts and basically a lot of people hate the XFORCE? It has the note I want with the popping on the downshift but I believe theres a bloke in bunbury that sells MANTA exhausts on here?

Any opinions and if this is blocking up the forum I'll happily get a mod to delete it!

Cheers guys!

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Yeah message not an Abba fan, he is the man to talk to about exhausts on here.

I'm sure those wheels will fit the brembos too because the redline edition comes with brembos.

When I had my sedan I got my spoiler put on at holden, but avoid them if possible because they are just rip offs.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I have got to say DEFINITELY go for the Brembo / AP Racing Brake upgrade.
In terms of Bang for Buck, you will appreciate the upgrade regardless if you car sees the track, or is a daily Sydney city commute hack that rarely sees over 70km/hr (like mine).

Here is some information a wrote on my upgrade some while ago.
www.carmodder.com • Brembo / HSV Brake Upgrade for the Holden VE Commodore

The only downside is the cost of getting suitable wheels (Which can make this an expensive exercise).
For myself, I had always wanted to do this upgrade, but was put off by the cost of suitable wheels (and tyres),
until I found some scuffed up G8 wheels going cheap with new rubber.

As for X-Force, yeah a lot of people have negative opinions on these exhausts.
For me, it came down to price.
As much as I love to spend money on my car, looking at the cost of depreciation of these things (cars are NEVER an investment),
I have set myself strict budgets on where I spend money on my car.

Hence the reason why I have an X-Force 3in cat back system. (Which cost me around $500 new)
Yes there are much better systems out there, but for me, the previous owner had straight through J pipes instead of mufflers (with the stock exhaust).
My choice was to either get stock SS mufflers (Which are cheap, but cost a bucket load to ship from anywhere),
or spend a little bit extra and replace everything from the cat back.

Exhausts can be fitted yourself (Just takes time to do), so this really comes down to personal preference, and how far you want to go in terms of quality and costs.
For me, I wasn't willing to spend large amounts of cash on an exhaust (though I do understand why people do).
The drone is much better than what I had with the J-Pipes, and it is certainly much better than my previous car.
So in my case ignorance is bliss.

I hope this kinda helps.

Cheers
Matti

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
That's the one knew it was something abba, and I will do!

Sweet I like the redline wheels so i'll probably go them, Are the brembos a good brake upgrade? or is there better upgrades?

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
That's the exact kind of reply i was looking for zerone. End of the day I don't want to spend 2k on an exhaust system when i'm not going for huge power supercharging it I'm just going for a decent sound that i'm happy with.

I plan on keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan and I'd much prefer spending the mods out of my own pocket then getting them on finance and the finance is at the limit of what i was willing to spend so that gives me the benefit of rewarding the mods down the track.

I was thinking of getting the XFORCE 3inch cat back with a remote controlled muffler as I really don't want to spend exuberant prices on a vehicle that at the end of the day is going to depreciate to next to nothing.

Is your exhaust mild steel? Where did you get it from?

Also is the AP kit you are talking about this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HSV-VE-A...ke-Kit-Calipers-SRT-Bendix-Pads-/151106830216 ?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
That's the exact kind of reply i was looking for zerone. End of the day I don't want to spend 2k on an exhaust system when i'm not going for huge power supercharging it I'm just going for a decent sound that i'm happy with.

I plan on keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan and I'd much prefer spending the mods out of my own pocket then getting them on finance and the finance is at the limit of what i was willing to spend so that gives me the benefit of rewarding the mods down the track.

I was thinking of getting the XFORCE 3inch cat back with a remote controlled muffler as I really don't want to spend exuberant prices on a vehicle that at the end of the day is going to depreciate to next to nothing.

Is your exhaust mild steel? Where did you get it from?

Also is the AP kit you are talking about this one HSV VE AP Racing Clubsport 4 Piston BIG Brake KIT Calipers SRT Bendix Pads | eBay ?

If you're going on a budget, skip the Varex exhaust from Xforce. They're stupidly overpriced.

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
Just saw the price for the varex yeah stuff that haha I'm just gonna go the cheap xforce 3" until i talk to abba.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
When I upgraded my Statesman brakes I only went to bigger V8 discs, slotted DBAs, braided lines and better pads and the difference was amazing so I imagine a Brembo kit would be absolutely outstanding.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
With regards to the spoiler -- enquire at Holden, then search ebay etc. i watched ebay for months and the cheapest price difference on unpainted was $3 from them compared to holden before postage was taken into it, so i just bought a few odds and ends from Holden. -- (that is for a Caprice lip spoiler, Senator spoiler will be a different story due to HSV name, but ask anyway)
So i'd recommend getting your Holden/HSV genuine parts that you want on a list, get them priced up then compare with ebay/gumtree until you know the best price. if you talk to them they will give you trade discounts. which in my case have beaten ebay on most items.

as for exhaust, i plan on keeping the car long term. the day i sell it will be when it's worth nothing, as such i'll spend good $'s to get what i want and enjoy it longterm, which is why i spent $2K with Not an abba fan for a full system, even if you decide to go xforce i'd talk to him on the price of a catback only system beforehand.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Also, just go 2.5". No point paying for the extra half inch when it does piss all.