Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods begin? Brakes, Wheels and other q's

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
That's the one knew it was something abba, and I will do!

Sweet I like the redline wheels so i'll probably go them, Are the brembos a good brake upgrade? or is there better upgrades?

Definitely a good brake upgrade no doubt. But all I did with mine was bigger discs slotted and dimpled and new pads. Red stuff front and green stuff rear, EBC the brand was. And wow it pulls up great!

With exhaust, unless you want it really loud, I'd go 2.5" too. I'm just doing mine mainly for sound, so went a 2.5" custom made exhaust with hsv headers

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
personally id get a G8 or calais boot lip over a Senator lip as they sit up higher due to the difference in Holden to HSV tail lights. That said JHP have them starting at $990 unpainted.

Yes the brakes fit behind all redline wheel but I'd buy the wheels first before doing brakes unless your happy to run a 8mm spacer.

get the VCM OTR with MAF and 3" Manta cat back system and dont worry about the tune if your planing on doing more mods in the future. Like extractors etc later on as a tune isnt cheap.

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
With regards to the spoiler -- enquire at Holden, then search ebay etc. i watched ebay for months and the cheapest price difference on unpainted was $3 from them compared to holden before postage was taken into it, so i just bought a few odds and ends from Holden. -- (that is for a Caprice lip spoiler, Senator spoiler will be a different story due to HSV name, but ask anyway)
So i'd recommend getting your Holden/HSV genuine parts that you want on a list, get them priced up then compare with ebay/gumtree until you know the best price. if you talk to them they will give you trade discounts. which in my case have beaten ebay on most items.

as for exhaust, i plan on keeping the car long term. the day i sell it will be when it's worth nothing, as such i'll spend good $'s to get what i want and enjoy it longterm, which is why i spent $2K with Not an abba fan for a full system, even if you decide to go xforce i'd talk to him on the price of a catback only system beforehand.

I prefer the senator spoiler look with a holden badge on it but thats just me! Personal preference really.

So do I, I don't really see my self selling this vehicle for a very long time so starting to think a decent stainless system is needed.

Also, just go 2.5". No point paying for the extra half inch when it does piss all.

Might be right but if I want to supercharge etc. down the track 5-7 years from now then I'd need a full new exhaust..

With regards to the spoiler -- enquire at Holden, then search ebay etc. i watched ebay for months and the cheapest price difference on unpainted was $3 from them compared to holden before postage was taken into it, so i just bought a few odds and ends from Holden. -- (that is for a Caprice lip spoiler, Senator spoiler will be a different story due to HSV name, but ask anyway)
So i'd recommend getting your Holden/HSV genuine parts that you want on a list, get them priced up then compare with ebay/gumtree until you know the best price. if you talk to them they will give you trade discounts. which in my case have beaten ebay on most items.

as for exhaust, i plan on keeping the car long term. the day i sell it will be when it's worth nothing, as such i'll spend good $'s to get what i want and enjoy it longterm, which is why i spent $2K with Not an abba fan for a full system, even if you decide to go xforce i'd talk to him on the price of a catback only system beforehand.

Holden Senator Style Boot Bobtail Wing Spoiler FOR VE SS SSV SV6 Omega Limina | eBay

I've been thinking this spoiler because it has the cutout for the badge i just think that the normal lip spoiler for the ss without the badge bit looks bland but i still prefer the senator style with the fibreglassed badge bit.

Also, just go 2.5". No point paying for the extra half inch when it does piss all.

But if I go 2.5" and want to do more extensive engine mods down the track that'd mean a whole new exhaust...

Definitely a good brake upgrade no doubt. But all I did with mine was bigger discs slotted and dimpled and new pads. Red stuff front and green stuff rear, EBC the brand was. And wow it pulls up great!

With exhaust, unless you want it really loud, I'd go 2.5" too. I'm just doing mine mainly for sound, so went a 2.5" custom made exhaust with hsv headers

For $800 i don't think i could go wrong with the brembo's when it comes time for brakes.

I don't want it hugely loud i just want a really nice supercary note with a good pop on down shifts.

personally id get a G8 or calais boot lip over a Senator lip as they sit up higher due to the difference in Holden to HSV tail lights. That said JHP have them starting at $990 unpainted.

Yes the brakes fit behind all redline wheel but I'd buy the wheels first before doing brakes unless your happy to run a 8mm spacer.

get the VCM OTR with MAF and 3" Manta cat back system and dont worry about the tune if your planing on doing more mods in the future. Like extractors etc later on as a tune isnt cheap.

Yeah when I start my purchasing around christmas/new year time I'm going to be doing a lot of research.

List will go something like this

Wheels
Exhaust
Intake
Letterbox grille
Spoiler
Headlights
Taillights
Brakes

Would I also be correct in that the HSVi 20" rims here won't fit the big brakes?

20" HSVi Rims, tyres, wheel & lock nuts | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Kwinana Area - Parmelia | 1024127310

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
as far as i'm aware the HSVi rims will not fit, my investigation thus far i understand all HSV will clear, the Redline will clear, Holden & HSVi will not.

I'm looking at rims down the track, but will ensure that any rim i decide on would clear should i decide to get the upgraded brakes. better than buying rims twice!!. :)

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
You can run a blower and a cam with a 2.5" no worries at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id say go for the 2.5" aswell, i have a 2.5" cam and blower and it is no restriction to makeing decent power, once u have a blower it will just force it out... unless u want big n/a power then u need a bigger exhaust...

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
20" HSVi Rims, tyres, wheel & lock nuts | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Kwinana Area - Parmelia | 1024127310 again with this ad he says they fit the brembos and it came off a redline can someone just identify the rim for me or make sure they will clear?

Don't want to buy something and not have it work down the track haha

I'm either going to push the l98 for max power n/a or go a blower down the track but i think a 2.5" cat back will be substantial as long as it gives a nice crackle on the down shift and has that meaty supercar acceleration sound i'd be happy.

Clubby88

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 clubsport
You can't get the senator lip spoiler unless you have a VIN number that had it from factory. That's only from hsv You might be able to find one on ebay

Blackened

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SS
I'm hoping to buy second hand but i'll just get a senator vin out of the car park or something if i can't.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
You can't get the senator lip spoiler unless you have a VIN number that had it from factory. That's only from hsv You might be able to find one on ebay

depends on what model it's for, after a certain time has gone past they release it, i was able to get a price for a Grange spoiler without a grange car or vin. they told me i couldn't get E3 grange stuff as it was still restricted. but E1 and E2 was fair game. (but at $960 unpainted i passed)