Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro V6 N/A lost of torque

SMG_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Monaro V6 N\A
What exhaust does it have?

Its written up there in the post

the standard stock exhaust

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sorry, missed that bit. Changing the extractors but leaving the stock exhaust generally improves the torque in the bottom end. But you have the larger, long tube extractors so it would rob bottom end.

It is better up top though isn't it?

SMG_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah .. but isn't there a way to gain more low end torque ?

and i wanted to do a custom exhaust but someone told me it would just make me lose torque ... ? << seriously confused

wanted to do an H pipe or just do the stock one pipe thing with larger pipes .. but not that large cos i want the torque not the power :(

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would go a twin 2" or 2 1/4" max with an X pipe just in front of the mufflers. That should pick up some bottom end.

It's not that you are losing torque, you are moving it higher in the rev range.

SMG_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i feel that the torque is up high .. it kinda sucks cos im the wheel spinning of the line guy not a high speed kinda guy ..

i heard that the H pipe give's u deeper sound and lower torque and the X pipe gives u loud sound and high end power .. correct me if am wrong plz ?

SMG_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
sure thing ... i took a ton of pic's when i installed it

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 3.8L VC Commodore
extractors on a stock engine will cause a loss of torque down low....they are designed to draw the gases out of the engine...a stock engine wont create enough gas to remove so extractors screw with he back pressure and theres your loss of torque...if you fitted a cam and did some porting and head shaving then they would give you a noticeable increase...save for some head work then refit them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And the prize goes to....

SMG_07

Reaction score
Members Ride
extractors on a stock engine will cause a loss of torque down low....they are designed to draw the gases out of the engine...a stock engine wont create enough gas to remove so extractors screw with he back pressure and theres your loss of torque...if you fitted a cam and did some porting and head shaving then they would give you a noticeable increase...save for some head work then refit them.

LOL u see i actually did that! i removed them to decide what to do later .. supercharge or do an engine swap ... :beer chug:

what engine do u think i should get ? LS1 or LS2 , an LS1 i could get from any scrapyard car but in LS2 and kinda "less out there":banstick:
do u think i should go for the more expensive and less existing LS2 or its not worth it ?:hmmm: