Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more kw

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Let it breathe, both in and out, then get it tuned.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Dirk you are gonna get general comments per above exclaiming that to increase peak rpm HP - derestrict and bigger in/out for better flow - no matter what you ask as the OP lol!
But the case for big bore bolt-ons for max flow at high RPM is opposite to building torque for the operating range (before MBT) as you detailed above. ie better flowing bolt-ons are counterproductive before MBT.
Best advice from years of building highly flexible tune with daily logging for EFIlive focus group using variable valve timing and the torque model, is above. Best simple advice is torque monster cam and gears.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Dirk you are gonna get general comments per above exclaiming that to increase peak rpm HP - derestrict and bigger in/out for better flow - no matter what you ask as the OP lol!
But the case for big bore bolt-ons for max flow at high RPM is opposite to building torque for the operating range (before MBT) as you detailed above. ie better flowing bolt-ons are counterproductive before MBT.
Best advice from years of building highly flexible tune with daily logging for EFIlive focus group using variable valve timing and the torque model, is above. Best simple advice is torque monster cam and gears.
I have no doubt what your saying is 100% true but it sounds like your over thinking it mate... a decent Otr (vcm brand) extractors (either 4 into 1 or tri Y) hi flow cats and 2.5 inch or 3 inch exhaust system with a good dyno tune will see some really good gains I have much the same car as the op (07 manual) with the above mods and it goes really well better power and torque everywhere compared to stock

ar5boosted

Reaction score
Website
www.ar5boosted
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have no doubt what your saying is 100% true but it sounds like your over thinking it mate... a decent Otr (vcm brand) extractors (either 4 into 1 or tri Y) hi flow cats and 2.5 inch or 3 inch exhaust system with a good dyno tune will see some really good gains I have much the same car as the op (07 manual) with the above mods and it goes really well better power and torque everywhere compared to stock

Are before and after dyno graphs available for that by any chance ?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes sure some gains compared to Stock, but the shape of the curve should be majorly different with derestricted flow enhancements for more HP up top. If it’s not then it’s not credible.
The OP was not wanting a typical curve skewed up top rather bumped up from 2-4.5k rpm.
What I have described is how you do that, i don’t reckon that’s over thinking in the larger scheme of life!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
http://www.ozgarage.com.au/season2-video/season-2-episode-9-online-exhaust-comparo

Unfortunately videos not working for me and i didnt realise it was a 6.3 not a 6. But this is the back to back testing video i saw hopefully on a pc it works.
Yes I’ve seen that, don’t really have much more to add apart from that which I’ve said on the half dozen postings of it as gospel over past several years. You know, apart from the fact it proves what it does, which is not that any size dimension is better than the other. Nor that tri-ys make less HP up top than straight pipes gathered.
I’ve got a better video with more science, shows tri-ys rule all the way, and proves conclusively for ever and ever that the one singular best dimension is 1 3/4” at block and you just need to bend a couple of panels to fit the (very) long tubes.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah righto mate not going to waste anymore time adding to a conversation with a brick wall. All ill add is that once upon a time i believed in everything the book theorys had to say until i started being proven wrong with real world experience. Theirs a lot of combos out their books will tell you wont work that work very very very well. Op do your own research and come to your own conclusion which can be a difficult step but its only one you should make. Whether the step is intrusting a workshop to choose their method from yours goals or choosing your own method and having a shop carry the work out. Good luck with it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
^^ mass market off the shelf install shops are the bricks. And seems everyone loves the BS.
OP don’t be sold on building more torque in that range by way of big bore bolt-ons, just do some research on graph shapes.
Better still invest $25 in Cam report (and custom engine analysis) from Guerra Group, and $75 in PipeMax - the professional race header and exhaust software.
Else save your dough and consider non-percuniary tips from the bloke who has actually built 85% of max torque from 2000 through 5900 from same engine.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Here is my dyno sheet from my previous VE SSV. All i had done was OTR, exhaust and Tune. Didnt get the before sheet printed but i did get shown it and stock she put out 233rwkw's. After mods and tune i got 269rwkw's, with 351kw at the flywheel. That gave it plenty of pick up all through the rpm range.

Attachments

• 316661_2744762422905_1749410682_n.jpg
    316661_2744762422905_1749410682_n.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 81