Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more Mang for your buck?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
my daily is a 2001 V6 VX wagon but i'm getting tired of the lack of torque
its auto and dead stock apart from a catback and a K&N filter.
i plan on keeping the car for a few more years yet so thinking about what i can do, I have had this car for 5 years and its the most reliable car i have owned so don't want to get rid of it.

mainly want more power on freeway hills without needing to knock it back to 3rd to keep speed up
its not slow 0-100km is just over 9s which is normal but it feels like a slug (my other car is a BA GT falcon)
thoughts are so far:
throw in an L67 and fit a pulley kit and full exhaust
buy a wrecked VX SS or later and fit the LS1

i think i can get the L67 done for about $2k (without pulleys and exhaust)
or an LS1 for $3k

will the L67 be more reliable and fuel efficient than the LS1?

or should i throw $2k at the stock V6

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
WTF, just had 2 threads closed about this ****, and you wanna open another???

Wonder how long this will last:boxing:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
close it then or provide a link to another thread about this and then close it
are you offended about the title of the thread?
I have genuine questions about either going to L67 or LS1
to clear up the question:

if an L67 conversion will cost me about $2k and a stock LS1 about $3k would it be worth while spending the extra $1k on the LS
will the LS1 be as reliable as the L67 and will the LS use more fuel based on frequent freeway driving?
as all i want is more torque than what the stock v6 has?

if you still want to close the thread please let me know why

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
will the L67 be more reliable and fuel efficient than the LS1?

I own both and i can honestly say no, my LS1 gets between 11-13L/100km where as my L67 will not use less than 13-14L/100km, i drive both on highways and freeways alot and both engines are in excellent condition. don't waste your money on a V6, they're really expensive to modify as well. The only drawback is the early LS1's were prone to"drinking problems" and consumed alot of oil.

If i were you I'd get rid of the car and buy one with a LS1 in it that you can actually know the history of, it will probably be cheaper than a conversion and easier, I picked my Calais up for next to nothing with a single owner, average KM's and in good condition... (until a tree fell on it)

If you're on a low budget I'd suggest sticking "HWY" stickers or what ever the kiddies these days slap on their car to make them go faster...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If its a reliable daily, why on earth do you want to #### with that? Take the engine out and you potentially open yourself up to a world of drama.

Are you doing an entire L67 transplant or just the blower and manifold?

If youre just after a little more punch from a daily without using heaps of fuel id either stick with the ecotec and add mace spacers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
haha thanks
i like my car, owned it for 5 years, took me 1 year to find it when i bought it and i know its history
my car is worth about $3000 now (maybe) and an LS powered 'decent' wagon will be $10k so adding a few $ will not be the end of the world
i won't waste my time on the stock motor its just not worth it
oh and budget is not the issue its over capitolising thats the issue

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
haha thanks
i like my car, owned it for 5 years, took me 1 year to find it when i bought it and i know its history
my car is worth about $3000 now (maybe) and an LS powered 'decent' wagon will be $10k so adding a few $ will not be the end of the world
i won't waste my time on the stock motor its just not worth it
oh and budget is not the issue its over capitolising thats the issue

the thing is, no one wants to buy a car thats been engine swapped so your car will actually be worth less than the others on the market. Save your money and just buy one from factory..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
the thing is, no one wants to buy a car thats been engine swapped so your car will actually be worth less than the others on the market.

Really, who cares? It's a VX, there are eleventy billion of them. Put the LS1 in and have fun. If you want to keep the car for what ever reason and don't want to buy another one, just do it.

Nobody modifies a car with resale in mind, they do it because they want a car they are happy with. Sometimes I think people are too hung up on resale and "losing" money on cars. It's a car. It has a job to do, by using it you are getting value out of it. That's what it's for. Screw resale.