Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motor Oil

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Actually not a lot of places, if any, release info on their additive packages, because that is their research and development and is worth too much to them. Others in the industry might have some background knowledge though.

Sorry i should mention that i based my information on an Oil engineer for Valvoline, she is the one that informed me of this. These companies carry out tests on others oils to see what they are up against.

I should have mentioned that first i guess. I really wouldn't reccomend using Nulon based on what an oil engineer had to say to me about it.

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
i'm using Mobil 10w-30 atm....how's this one stack up...?? will consider changing oils myself in future....

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Honestly?

Mobil 1 was THE SH$T way back when. They have slipped back well and truly to the 'average' category. They are far better than some, not nearly as good as others. I suggest your weight is way down, but as far as if you an average driver with average service schedule and an average car, then there's no need to rush out and change tomorrow. Just up the grade.

Minux, that's interesting. She's a person I'd love to have an audience with for an hour or two.....

Did she say anything about gearboxes, final drives and diffs?

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Ok here it is

Nulon does contain PTFE.

PTFE is used inplace of the more commonly used Zinc as an anti wear additive

PTFE is not considered a friction modifier, so I was waaaay off track there

PTFE is not very heat resistant. At approx 472 (I Believe) degrees celcius, PFTE degrades to the point of non effectiveness. Therefore cannot remain where most needed- the upper cylinder & head of the engine.

1970's (could have been 1978 I was told) dow corning released a document stating that they would not back any claims of effectiveness in automotove applications. Back in the 70's and it's still being used.

The information I received says that PFTE is not so much detrimental to an engine, but rather not effective. It may give a slight power increase, but ultimately means that upper cylinder and the head are unprotected from wear by the PFTE due to extreme heat.

Don't go dumping it immediately, but I would be hesitant in using it again.

BRad

This would Explain why, Yesterday at the traffic lights, my top end was Rattling, I had just towed a heavy load of wood 30km, and it would have been hot!! Good thing i changed it!!, so is it the case that once it has past that temp it is useless until changed, or is it only while it operates over that temp??

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Um, not quite.

The oil (I'm not sure of the actual quality of the oil, so I'll assume it will withstand normal temps and pressures- but maybe not if you say she was rattly after towing) should not degrade more than normal at those temperatures.

However, the ANTI FRICTION ADDITIVE, in this case PTFE, does degrade at (I believe) 472 degrees C.

Anti friction additives are blended into oil for one reason only. When the oil fails.

When 2 metal parts are being separated by oil, everything works as it should. If that oil fails, and the metal parts come together, the anti friction additive stoppes the metal parts wearing, or at least reduces the wear.

PTFE, as it is burned off above 472 degrees c means that when the metal parts come together, there is nothing left to stop that wear.

So the rattly top end may well be quite a separate issue to the PTFE burning off in the oil. That sounds something like the oil has degraded to the point that it is no longer holding viscosity at temperature

oh to your question- once it burns off, its gone untill you replace it with fresh PTFE in new oil

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Bill

I was going to suggest one bit its a bit more exy than what your using now

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Bill

I was going to suggest one bit its a bit more exy than what your using now

Cost doesn't really bother me as long as the oil lasts and is good quality. To be honest the only reason I choose the Nulon was because it was the only 20W/50 oil that the Autopro where I live always has. But now that I am moving to Adelaide in a couple of months that is no longer a problem.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Minux, that's interesting. She's a person I'd love to have an audience with for an hour or two.....

Did she say anything about gearboxes, final drives and diffs?

She did, she was a direct consultant with our workshop at one of my last jobs. When it comes to heacy vehicles, you can't afford to be using the wrong stuff.

She used to run oil analysis for me quite often. Was really interesting to see results from various oils.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Um, not quite.

The oil (I'm not sure of the actual quality of the oil, so I'll assume it will withstand normal temps and pressures- but maybe not if you say she was rattly after towing) should not degrade more than normal at those temperatures.

However, the ANTI FRICTION ADDITIVE, in this case PTFE, does degrade at (I believe) 472 degrees C.

Anti friction additives are blended into oil for one reason only. When the oil fails.

When 2 metal parts are being separated by oil, everything works as it should. If that oil fails, and the metal parts come together, the anti friction additive stoppes the metal parts wearing, or at least reduces the wear.

PTFE, as it is burned off above 472 degrees c means that when the metal parts come together, there is nothing left to stop that wear.

So the rattly top end may well be quite a separate issue to the PTFE burning off in the oil. That sounds something like the oil has degraded to the point that it is no longer holding viscosity at temperature

oh to your question- once it burns off, its gone untill you replace it with fresh PTFE in new oil

Thanks for all the knowledge and Info, Much appreciated, Ive Clicked the scales!!:thumbsup:
Oil was very black, so prolly just past it's useby...very early....
No more Nulon for me!!