Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

motorbike

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
My father had a Z500, was terrible for head shakes. One day he crashed and almost lost his leg, he was wearing jeans though...........

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser

that was selective quoting.... I agreed and said that 2 strokes are mean't to be flogged really, which would be bad for him to learn on, and being that he is over 18 an 80cc 2 stroke would be a waste of money as he would need to upgrade almost instantly, When I said the 4 strokes are designed to be driven hard that was in reference to the YZ, CRF and KX 4 strokes he listed which ARE motocross bikes and have more stick than that of an old XR. I learn't on an xr100r, then got a 2 stroke and I agree they are great fun but before you go all these are better than this, have a look at what type of riding he said he would be doing... and the fact he would mostly be riding with the missus.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Similar question as above:

I want to get another bike but never got my L's.

What are the better LAMS bikes out there? I like the cruiser look but open to other suggestions!

How big is your budget and what size are you looking for?

For a lams cruiser, I'd be looking at an xvs650 yamaha. I'm looking for a lams cruiser atm, but my budget doesn't stretch to the xvs, so I'll probably end up with a cheap 250 to start with.

Agree with above on the xvs650

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
although 4 strokes they are designed to be ridden a bit harder

Errrm really? 2 strokes are meant to be thrashed, constantly! there designed for the pounding a 4 stroke is certainly capable of copping a bashing but no where near capable of copping the pounding a 2 stroke would and not to mention the 2 stroke loves it...

Yeah 4 strokes are reliable and are most suited for long trail rides, dont get a 2 stroke if your planning on doing 50k trail rides... you will most likely melt a piston.

4 strokes when they break down cost a bomb!! especially if its a piston or bottom end rebuild, 2 strokes are pocket change to fix compared to 4 strokes.. but as i said earlier 4 strokes are more reliable but you will still get incredible hours out of a 2 stroke with a fresh top end.

I putt around with my mrs on the back of my yz125 mate, but i ignore her wishes of going slow and smash through powerband all the time haha... but she loves it.

theres alot of pro's and con's to 2 stroke and 4 stroke but as i read in your original post it seems you are wanting something for trails which would be up the 4 stroke alley, but if your smashing it through the bush or paddocks go a 2 stroke man just take it easy on it for a little while until you feel comfortable

I think he was more refering to the race bikes as being designed to be thrashed a bit harder. I.e YZ4250f in comparison to a TTR250

Happy to be corrected however

I totally agree with you about the cost to rebuild 4 stroke engines to compared to 2 stroke. And i personally find 2-strokes much easier to work on.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Yeah its going to be for city commuting - I could shave heaps of time from my 30 minute drive.

Motards look interesting, wasn't a fan at first but starting to like what I read!

Probably 7k max including helmet and all that stuff. As little as possible for the bike itself is preferable, I didn't want to spend too much on a bike only to get rid of it when I get my opens.

I'm now thinking a cruiser might not be the most friendly of learner bikes?

Whats the consensus on the better brands for motards? Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki? Aprilia and the other euros might be a bit more than I want to spend.

Jesus, so many questions are running through my head haha!
Yeah motards arent the most visually appealing but trust me, once you get on one in the city you will not regret it. They will turn a boring 1hr commute on a cruiser into a fun 30-40 minute 'urban' joyride. Haha. (Just make sure you have some self control as to preserve your licence lol). In serious though they are super fun and easy to ride due to the seating position and bar height, they get up and go like nothing else thats learner legal (they just lack the top end of doing 150k/hr+ easily that sportsbikes have lol) which isnt an issue in the city or for a learner anyway, and when (not if) you drop it, a motard you just pick it up and at most replace a $7 brake lever and you're good to go. A sports bike or cruiser you drop it and then fall over yourself when you see the price for replacement fairings/chrome bits. lol.
I have heard great things about the Honda CRF250/450X's. Shop around and you might pick one up within your budget. The Aprilia's are also great but from memory have a lot higher servicing needs over the others.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
that was selective quoting.... I agreed and said that 2 strokes are mean't to be flogged really, which would be bad for him to learn on, and being that he is over 18 an 80cc 2 stroke would be a waste of money as he would need to upgrade almost instantly, When I said the 4 strokes are designed to be driven hard that was in reference to the YZ, CRF and KX 4 strokes he listed which ARE motocross bikes and have more stick than that of an old XR. I learn't on an xr100r, then got a 2 stroke and I agree they are great fun but before you go all these are better than this, have a look at what type of riding he said he would be doing... and the fact he would mostly be riding with the missus.

Lol my first bike was an XL100.

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
996cc rotax engine my good sir, they fly when you open them up :)

Ah nice. Yeah old mate definitely had this thing up and off, sounded unreal.

And MasterOfReality, i'm in the same boat, after a cruiser type bike as well. Have you considered the Yamaha Virago 250? They look pretty nice for a cruiser and are apparently a good learner bike. Check them out, probably (hopefully) what i'll be getting

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
+1 to the Virago, a learners bike with a bit of style.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Why are there so many Suggestions for a Virago???
personally I think they are ugly!!
If you want a 250 with class, get a VL250 Suzuki. (if it fits within your budget)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Why are there so many Suggestions for a Virago???
personally I think they are ugly!!
If you want a 250 with class, get a VL250 Suzuki. (if it fits within your budget)

So many? The two posts above yours are the only time a Virago has even been mentioned in the thread lol
You hit the nail with "personally I think they are ugly" though.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Since the bikes are very similar, what exactly is it that makes the Virago ugly and the VL250 classy anyway?

Virago
Yamaha%20XV250S%2096.jpg

VL250
Suzuki%20VL%20250LC%20Intruder%2001%20%201.jpg