Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moving out of home?

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I'm now 24 and lived at home until i was 21, i moved in with my girlfriend and her friends, then we moved with them twice so far.

Our friends have kids.. and our friends get a choice in everything, because they didn't put us on the lease.. so effectively we aren't meant to be there. (girlfriend and I).

Its doing our head in living with them, the noise of the kids and their TV left on all the time up loud, the lounge room TV and sound system is always up high, they have continual arguements & nearly every light is ALWAYS left on in the house for the kids.. despite a $800 electricity bill and the fact the bathroom light has blown twice now, the state of the bathroom and house 90% of the time and the fact WE have to park out on the street and they always park in the driveway.

Both of our cars have had damage to it from idiots hooning up the street and drunk idiots walking up the street at night.

To be honest, it was the biggest mistake of our lives living with them, nothing but drama, always.

I'm trying to save up money for bond and to get my vz commodores transmission fixed... its getting harder to do..

Paying full rent instead of split will be a little harder but we end up spending more on take out and entertainment due to not wanting to be in the house with them, so if we cut that we should be fine.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Moved out and bought a house 2 months after my 21st.
Bought a house with the missus.
Only 250 a week for everything.
All is good. :)

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
im 42 live at home in mums basement with her 8 cats, play world of warcraft all day.

on a more serious note, been living alone or with gf's since i was 15 im now 21, and yes i passed school wud up.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I managed to pass school leaving home at 13. Mostly because of my aunt and uncle keeping an eye on me.

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Left home at 17, no real reason other than wanting freedom. Been renting since in various places including a stint living with the mrs which I don't recommend. I don't make a fortune but bills are easy enough to pay, just gotta pay them before you starting playing. Moving out motivated me though cos I wasn't just living off someone else, was making my own way. Been out of home almost 6 years and I have a house full of furniture etc plus a few toys but I've also drank ALOT of piss. As long as you live within your means it's easy.

I don't see the big problem with renting, Me and the Mrs will get a house once she is done studying and in the meantime I get to live a little with my flatmates and wear out someone elses house in the process.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
What an overwhelming response! haha did not expect that

Its good to hear everyones stories/opinions and advice though :)

my plans are to hopefully move out, rent a house somewhere close to work so im not paying bulk dosh on fuel, only spend money on stuff we have to and only splurge small amounts when we have money saved

What would be the minimum wage of a couple (combined) to live comfortably assuming rent and food together (excl. bills) would be roughly 350 a week?
If we both earn minimum 600 a week we should be ok right?

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
If together you are earning 1200 a week and can't afford takeaways on the weekend plus savings you are definitely doing something wrong! Im in NZ though so don't know your living costs

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
What an overwhelming response! haha did not expect that

Its good to hear everyones stories/opinions and advice though :)

my plans are to hopefully move out, rent a house somewhere close to work so im not paying bulk dosh on fuel, only spend money on stuff we have to and only splurge small amounts when we have money saved

What would be the minimum wage of a couple (combined) to live comfortably assuming rent and food together (excl. bills) would be roughly 350 a week?
If we both earn minimum 600 a week we should be ok right?

After living with 'friends' for around 2-3 years now... it being living hell.... try to stay over their house heaps and heaps and learn their patterns and see how they are and act before moving in with them.

If I had have known prior this is what it would be like I would lived at home longer till I got bond and money to move out just with my girlfriend instead of splitting the bond and moving in with 'the days of our lives' cast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
After living with 'friends' for around 2-3 years now... it being living hell.... try to stay over their house heaps and heaps and learn their patterns and see how they are and act before moving in with them.

If I had have known prior this is what it would be like I would lived at home longer till I got bond and money to move out just with my girlfriend instead of splitting the bond and moving in with 'the days of our lives' cast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

haha nah i wont be moving in with any of her or my friends, just her and I together
While her parents were away one time i did live with her for a week and every nown and then we get a good 2-3 days together alone looking after the house and were pretty good together around the house i must say :)
Sh1t gets done via sharing the "chores" ie. cooking tea, cleaning, grocery shopping etc... without complaining

Lemusa- living costs should be cheap as chips as the biggest expense would be the food and actual rent, i do worry about the bills though (elect etc, even though we are extremely conscience of this and will only use what we have to and not leave lights on when not needed etc) thats all lol

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
19 living at home.
why?
because theirs an old folks home down the road, which will mean they are moving out not me =P

but seriously.
i have already planned to buy land/build because of how i would personally like to set it up.
honestly. i just cannot live in someone elses "dream"

but best advice i can give
dont live beyond your means
if you cannot afford it. dont.
theres nothing wrong with living at home with your old folks. and i know of a fair few people that didnt or havent moved out until their mid 20s. as they have waited until they had everything in place.