Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Multiple Tensioner Pulleys in 2 years, what could be the route cause???

atemporal27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi All,
as the title suggests I have been through 2 tensioner pulleys in the past 2 years and now it needs replacing for a 3rd time even though the last one was only done 3 months ago, but once again it's screaming its head off as soon as the engines warm! Surely there's some underlying problem that's causing them to be replaced so often, I just don't know what it could be (and yes I've gotten new belts each time too). I'd rather get that fixed than fork out money for the tensioner again any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

atemporal27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
hi all I’m just looking for some advice.
as the title suggests I’ve been through two tensioner pulley’s in two years and now I’m due for another one even though the last one was only replaced three months ago!!! surely there’s gotta be an underlying problem that’s not the pulley any advice would be greatly appreciated (yes i’ve replaced my belts every time too)

Cheers

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Some aftermarket idler pulleys are complete crap. I’ve used cheap aftermarket ones before and they start squeaking within a couple of months. If your using cheap pulleys that might be your problem.

Failing that check all your accessories and other pulleys to make sure they spin freely and aren’t binding up. A failing bearing somewhere else could be putting excessive drag on the idler and making it wear out faster.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Have you replaced the actual tensioner assembly or just the pulley? Are you using the correct length belt? Belt squeal generally indicates the belt is loose or slipping on something that isn't turning freely.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Have you replaced the actual tensioner assembly or just the pulley? Are you using the correct length belt? Belt squeal generally indicates the belt is loose or slipping on something that isn't turning freely.
Here is a link to the gates web site. It will have all the correct information on belt sizes pulley sizes, & tensioners. You will have to scroll down the page a fair bit to reach the vy section.

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
use wd40 with the applicator straw and spray in the tensioner if the tensioner is stiff. get a 15mm spanner and work it in by moving the tensioner back and forth. it seems to make them smoothen out again. just use a rag beneath it to prevent oil from running down onto your belts.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Only one thread per topic.

Threads merged.

atemporal27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
yep the whole assembly 2 times now, yes got the correct belt i know they can be a few mill different but i’m 100% sure i’ve got the right one. it’s a real bugger

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check all the other pulleys and accessories to make sure they turn freely.