Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 05 vz clubsport, manual, NOW 427ci STROKED LS3 underway!!! Massive cam, forged etc

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Ok just after a bit of help with the fuel system set up on the clubby, so when I put in the stroked ls3 I'm told I will need to be upgrading the fuel system by my tuner, I'd love a surge tank set up however the budget doesn't cover that ATM lol so from what I have read a walbro 460 in tank pump and 65 pond injectors will get me out of trouble for a while? My question is how hard are the walbro pumps to fit into the standard vz tank? What's involved? What injectors would use recommend ? The car should have around 600-650rwhp when done! Any help would be great.

Cheers scott

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Got a call on Friday! Bottom end is all together and my heads have all been fixed and re valved etc so engine should be ready next week fingers crossed! :) ATM I'm just trying to work out who I want to fit and tune it all I'm tossing up between Russo performance or SAMs performance to do it all, I'll be getting them to fit the engine, run it all in and than tune it, plus get them to fit a bigger intank pump while it's there, I'll be running the ls3 manifold and injectors so I'm hoping thay will be big enough to tune the 427 properly! Stay tuned for more info and pics will be up soon of the engine build, just waiting on an email to come thru! :)

Cheers scott

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
updated thread title!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
delicious.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Ok so iv decided to go with Russo performance, my engine is going to be sent there next week some time and I'm in the process of working out how to get the clubby down there ASAP so it can all get started! Works making it a bit hard ATM so I'm thinking a freight company to tow the car there might be easiest. I'll get them to fit it all, run the engine in and tune it, also getting them to supply and fit a twine plate clutch and a walbro in tank fuel pump to keep up with the extra power the 427 will have :)

Few spects on the engine and a quick parts list of what was used for those who are interested!

Compression is 11.2:1

Cam specs are DUR @0.050" 247/263 , .624 lift intake and exhaust, 114 lobe separation

Parts:

- new GM 6.2L BLOCK
- SCAT 4.1" STROKE CRANK
- SCAT H BEAM CONRODS
- SPR PROFESSIONAL FORGED PISTONS AND RINGS
- CLEVITE BEARINGS
- GM GASKET SET
- ARP MAIN STUD KIT
- ARP HEAD BOLT KIT
- MELLINGS SELECT OIL PUMP
- COMP CAMSHAFT
- MOREL LIFTERS
- ROLLMASTER TIMING CHAIN
- FERREA VALVES
- T/PLATE HONE V8 BLOCK
- SERVICE V8 CYLINDER HEADS
- BALANCE V8 ENGINE
- ARP CRANK BOLT
- REPAIR CYL HEAD, WELD, FIT 2 X INSERTS AND 2 X VALVE GUIDES
- MANLEY PUSHRODS
- COMP CAMS TRUNION UPGRADE KIT

Stay tuned for more progress pics :)

Cheers scott

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Damn big bump stick alright! Was that your choice or the tuners/builders?

EDIT: Did some research on the bumpstick myself.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
It was my choice but the tuner did recomend Russo or SAMs performance as 2 that he would use himself and Iv owned a car befor that was tuned by russos and it was great n never missed a beat so I ended up going with them man

Yer it is a big bump stick haha I'm a bit worried of how it will go with the manual! Hay I'm sure I will manage with it only being a weekend toy

Last edited:

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was my choice but the runner did recomend Russo or SAMs performance as 2 that he would use himself and Iv owned a car befor this tuned by russos and it was great n never missed a beat so I ended up going with them man

Yer it is a big bump stick haha I'm a bit worried of how it will go with the manual! Hay I'm sure I will manage with it only being a weekend toy

Ahah I meant the cam choice! I read a lot of good from Russo's. Surely they'll look after you.

COMP CAMS LSR Three Bolt HYDRAULIC ROLLER-400+ci, high rpm applications with major modications and rectangular port cylinder heads.
2400-7000 RPM range
54-473-11 Part Number
297LRR HR14 Cam Grind
297in 313ex Advertised Duration

247/263 @.050 .624lift 114LSA.

Lucky it's only a weekender then! Russo should be able to give it a nice idle tune and low rpm drivability.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Aw haha nar the engine builder picked the cam man, i just told him what sorta power I was hoping for and what I used the car for and he worked it out, I don't fully understand cam specs as much as u sound like you do tho aha, I'm actually trying to find a vid of something similar on idle just to hear how lumpy it will be when running, yer I'm sure Russo will look after it all, thay seem like thay really know there commodores! Should be able to get a good tune so It has nice drivability still

Cheers scott

Ahah I meant the cam choice! I read a lot of good from Russo's. Surely they'll look after you.

COMP CAMS LSR Three Bolt HYDRAULIC ROLLER-400+ci, high rpm applications with major modications and rectangular port cylinder heads.
2400-7000 RPM range
54-473-11 Part Number
297LRR HR14 Cam Grind
297in 313ex Advertised Duration

247/263 @.050 .624lift 114LSA.

Lucky it's only a weekender then! Russo should be able to give it a nice idle tune and low rpm drivability.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just search YouTube, you'll be able to find a heap of cammed LS videos. I know there's a video of a GTO with a 247/263 cam. But it's entirely up to how the tuner actually tunes the engine. If I were you, I'd try and be present during the tuning phase so you actually know what's going on and can see and hear first hand,!how much a small adjustment of AFR's can affect the idle quality.