Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

c@l@is

Reaction score
This back corner near the brake booster does my head in, hoses and leads randomly everywhere its like a dogs breakfast back there

c@l@is

Reaction score
lol i know im hopeless. No matter how i hold my tongue i cant seem to get a nice fit on the fuel return hose without kinking it unless i use about a foot of looped hose running half way around the engine bay and back.. Anyone know are my solid lines pointing in the correct direction? i found a few pics of others cars but when i try it the same way i just get kinked up choked off hose

Disturbed the oring on the return line solid fitting where it bolts to the rail so guess i should replace it, does anyone know exactly what size and style is this oring? would it be a bad idea to just use a common black rubber chinese oring from my ebay oring kit .. Suppose it needs to be one of the fancy green fuel friendly ones

Attachments

• fuel return 2.jpg
    fuel return 2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 73
  • fuel return.jpg
    fuel return.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

c@l@is

Reaction score
hey all i just noticed my rear brake calipers look identical and in good nic but one is girlock and one pbr ..does it matter?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Anyone know are my solid lines pointing in the correct direction? i found a few pics of others cars but when i try it the same way i just get kinked up choked off hose
Line seems to be twisted towards engine, should point to front of car,
From memory rubber fuel line has a moulded u turn/bend in the short one.
The "fancy" O rings are for E85 compatiable and fine for use with any fuel grade

c@l@is

Reaction score
thanks achoo, yes it is pointing towards the engine a little, maybe the v6 and v8 have different angles from factory (or it just got twisted!) I will sort it.. and with the oring for pump fuel can i just use any sort of black oring the correct size out of an oring kit?

also i hope someone notices my post about one rear caliper being PBR and the other Girlock

Thanks again :)

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
thumbs up about plain O ring

Girlock should be the original brand from memory of the old calipers used on gen 1 commodores and VN should be the same, maybe someone replaced with a new pbr ?

Check the pads used on both sides and the rotors, if same fit on rotors then you should be good to go.

c@l@is

Reaction score
cheers about the oring..

both actually look identical and use DB1086 shape pads, really tweaks the ocd. Looks like K1610S kits work from vb to vs live axle so hopefully its just a replacement caliper off a different model and it wont even matter

The car is an 88 which might be the year pbr bought girlock, surely it wouldn't leave the factory like this lol

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
and with the oring for pump fuel can i just use any sort of black oring the correct size out of an oring kit?
NO!
Any o-ring in contact with fuel must be a Viton o-ring. Otherwise it'll give up, leak, and catch your car on fire.

I got some for the fuel rail once (but cannot remember where on the rail to be honest). I think 6 of them was $2, and I only got 6 because I was in a hurry and it was easier to take extra than wait to get my change.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Thanks Deuce an engine bay fire would not be ideal, I will have to order online if anyone knows what size they are that would be amazing :)