Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Paul, it sounding like your throwing parts at it rather than diagnosing what is actually faulty… by testing cables, doing sweep test, etc… As is, from what I understand you’ve still got the intermittent problem and you haven’t tried installing the used APPS yet…

One can’t shortcut a diagnosis by throwing parts at it unless it’s known issue with specific vehicle and it’s known that failed accelerator pedal assembly or throttle position switch are the culprit (which in some GM vehilce is actually the case). But again which one could it be,… testing should give hints… else both must be replaced (which may not be a bad idea from a preventative maintenance perspective).

But replacement in such cases, where sensors wear out through use, it’s best not to buy second hand (unless they are known to be low kms unit but the problem is everyone only drives to church on Sunday). Buying high milage second hand sensors will probably be just be buying someone else's problem :rolleyes:

So I still think you should check wiring (unplug connectors from ends of loom and use an multimeter and measure each wire resistance while wiggling cable, then measure to each wire to earth which should be infinity since the connectors are unplugged)…

How to test sensors, well such sensors are simple variable resistors and thus use an input voltage (+5V) and have two output voltages one sweeps up (~0-~5V) and the other sweeps down (~5-~0v). So they can be bench measured by manually feeding the input voltage and operating the shaft the sensor is attached to… As the shop manual indicates, slow sweeps checking output voltage is nice and clean and fast full travel sweeps doing same… usually an analog meter is better for such… To bench test the comparative outputs, just conext yje meter +ve lead to one output and the negative lead to the other output. The sweep will go from ~5V -> 0v -> ~-5V as the shaft is turned and it should be smooth and symmetrical as the shaft/pedal is moved through its limit. The later test isn’t 100% accurate as it doesn’t check voltage and comparative voltage against angle but smooth and symmetrical movement of the meter needle is a good indication…

Hope you can find out what’s is the root cause and get it all sorted… but slow down and test things according to the workshop manual is the solution… You may get lucky throwing parts at it but usually it’s just throwing money away when it could be spent on test tools :p

Hope you get lucky and the APPS fixed your woes :cool:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Paul, it sounding like your throwing parts at it rather than diagnosing what is actually faulty… by testing cables, doing sweep test, etc… As is, from what I understand you’ve still got the intermittent problem and you haven’t tried installing the used APPS yet…

One can’t shortcut a diagnosis by throwing parts at it unless it’s known issue with specific vehicle and it’s known that failed accelerator pedal assembly or throttle position switch are the culprit (which in some GM vehilce is actually the case). But again which one could it be,… testing should give hints… else both must be replaced (which may not be a bad idea from a preventative maintenance perspective).

But replacement in such cases, where sensors wear out through use, it’s best not to buy second hand (unless they are known to be low kms unit but the problem is everyone only drives to church on Sunday). Buying high milage second hand sensors will probably be just be buying someone else's problem :rolleyes:

So I still think you should check wiring (unplug connectors from ends of loom and use an multimeter and measure each wire resistance while wiggling cable, then measure to each wire to earth which should be infinity since the connectors are unplugged)…

How to test sensors, well such sensors are simple variable resistors and thus use an input voltage (+5V) and have two output voltages one sweeps up (~0-~5V) and the other sweeps down (~5-~0v). So they can be bench measured by manually feeding the input voltage and operating the shaft the sensor is attached to… As the shop manual indicates, slow sweeps checking output voltage is nice and clean and fast full travel sweeps doing same… usually an analog meter is better for such… To bench test the comparative outputs, just conext yje meter +ve lead to one output and the negative lead to the other output. The sweep will go from ~5V -> 0v -> ~-5V as the shaft is turned and it should be smooth and symmetrical as the shaft/pedal is moved through its limit. The later test isn’t 100% accurate as it doesn’t check voltage and comparative voltage against angle but smooth and symmetrical movement of the meter needle is a good indication…

Hope you can find out what’s is the root cause and get it all sorted… but slow down and test things according to the workshop manual is the solution… You may get lucky throwing parts at it but usually it’s just throwing money away when it could be spent on test tools :p

Hope you get lucky and the APPS fixed your woes :cool:
You’ve got to love this!

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Oh and as much as I'd love it to be this. I've read the bulletin and its all happening at the connector or 3 to 4 inches back from it. I've replaced the connector with this...

View attachment 237987

So now has a brand new connector...

View attachment 237988

:confused:

Keep in mind, if there has been issues with the harness breaking near the throttle body due to flexing, then it could also break anywhere else that the harness has been flexing too.

So, maybe do what you mentioned earlier and check the whole harness between the throttle body and the ECM. There will be a section between the engine and the body where the harness flexes under power (when the engine moves a little on the engine mounts). This might be the link between ‘giving it a boot’ and the fault occurring?

Also, there was a service bulletin that covered the harness being prone to rub through on the engine but I think that fault was more related to a transmission fault code(?) but the general problem of the harness rubbing somewhere is worthwhile checking out.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Paul, just a heads up on the following GM throttle position sensor issues on some older vehicles that I wanted to post but couldn’t remember where I saw it...

It may not be relevant to our VE/VF sensors as I haven’t pulled one appart to look at it under a microscope and confirm they are built the same, but it’s interesting info to consider…

I‘ll also link the old post I was looking for earlier which has some other videos about such issues.

Youtube also has some good videos on diagnosing throttle position sensors so Google “gm throttle position sensor faulty diagnosis youtube” and you can find lots. Same for “pedal position sensor faulty diagnosis youtube”. That may give you some more hints as to how diagnose your issue as going for a drive may be fun but it ain’t methodical diagnosis :p

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Paul, just a heads up on the following GM throttle position sensor issues on some older vehicles that I wanted to post but couldn’t remember where I saw it...

It may not be relevant to our VE/VF sensors as I haven’t pulled one appart to look at it under a microscope and confirm they are built the same, but it’s interesting info to consider…

I‘ll also link the old post I was looking for earlier which has some other videos about such issues.

[/URL]

Youtube also has some good videos on diagnosing throttle position sensors so Google “gm throttle position sensor faulty diagnosis youtube” and you can find lots. Same for “pedal position sensor faulty diagnosis youtube”. That may give you some more hints as to how diagnose your issue as going for a drive may be fun but it ain’t methodical diagnosis :p
Wow! Watched this. Incredible to see that something so small could have such an impact on the way a car performs. And good on guys like him for taking the trouble:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Paul if you're interested eBay have the proper SSV/HSV accel pedal for $148 brand new (20% off). Same with the proper brake and clutch pedal pads. I bought a set for the shed stash as these will be obsolete at some point, at which point prices will triple at least.

P

Pauldw500

Given that the acell pedal has been swapped out it may even be the cause of the issue. It could well be faulty. Paul I think you need a new brake pedal pad too going by the photo. I can see what looks like the original one behind, but it may be butchered now.
I'm off to the HSV Holden place and see if I can get busy ass top guy to give me 2 mins of his time. Gonna at least get this pedal looked at visually to check his opinion if I can...

P

Pauldw500

Paul if you're interested eBay have the proper SSV/HSV accel pedal for $148 brand new (20% off). Same with the proper brake and clutch pedal pads. I bought a set for the shed stash as these will be obsolete at some point, at which point prices will triple at least.

Yeah see them, I'll def get one if needed cheers

P

Pauldw500

So trip to HSV Holden in Springwood QLD (gotta get that bit in) was useless, total bunch of spanners here.
Was gonna do a word for word quote but came early in the hope they wasn't too busy but NO ONE here wants to help unless you book it in and then they HAVE to witness it. I said go flog the car and he virtually walked off. Said they'd need to witness it and if it don't happen I'll still be charged.

Bloke wouldn't even look at my pic of pedal and confirm if the right one or not..

Total bunch of *****

Status
Not open for further replies.