Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, agree that mechanics must obey all road rules and thus mustn’t be flogging customer cars during diagnosis. Such is simply unprofessional, especially as in this case there are alternative diagnostics procedure.

Pity that story is behind a paywall as it may have been an interesting read…

Yes it is a shame you or anyone else can read it....From what was reported on the news, the person who is a tyre repair guy (he is actually the wheel aligner for a Bob Jane Store) was taking the car for a test drive and lost control, with the poor old fella ending up trapped underneath the car and passing away as a result....

The part in brackets is fact, as it doesn't take long for this stuff to travel throughout the industry....Maybe the media has chosen to leave that part out to help protect the business

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What about getting Paul to flog it, get the error code up and limp to garage. Either that or book it in regardless and see if they can find anything amiss.

Expecting them to drop what they are doing and spend even 10 mins having a look is probably not going to happen when people are busy. Jobs are booked in and not generally waiting around for someone to walk in off the street.

We get it every day of the week at my work, people drop in and say I just need 5mins of your time. I will normally say to make an appointment. My day is busy and rarely can I just drop what I'm doing and sort out someone's problem. I'd say most business' are like this unless you're a shop where the norm is you choose some items, and head to the register or someone helps you choose the right product.

Agreed....In my line of work, if it is something real simple like a puncture repair, it can generally be done inbetween fitting tyres.....For more indepth things, appointments are preferable or just wait for that free 10 minutes to be able to get in....

Expecting people to drop everything at the drop of a hat for an indepth diagnosis is unreasonable....Whilst the person "jumping the que" will be happy, the others that have made an effort won't be

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes it is a shame you or anyone else can read it....From what was reported on the news, the person who is a tyre repair guy (he is actually the wheel aligner for a Bob Jane Store) was taking the car for a test drive and lost control, with the poor old fella ending up trapped underneath the car and passing away as a result....

The part in brackets is fact, as it doesn't take long for this stuff to travel throughout the industry....Maybe the media has chosen to leave that part out to help protect the business
I was of the understanding that Bob Jane do not allow test drives in the customers cars. It used to be that way at least. I remember old invoices from them in Adelaide and it would say something about BJTM do not test drive cars as they set the alignments on machines that are regularly calibrated. I was also of the understanding they don't provide any sort of diagnosis, unless its referring to the condition of tyres.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was of the understanding that Bob Jane do not allow test drives in the customers cars. It used to be that way at least. I remember old invoices from them in Adelaide and it would say something about BJTM do not test drive cars as they set the alignments on machines that are regularly calibrated. I was also of the understanding they don't provide any sort of diagnosis, unless its referring to the condition of tyres.

The person involved in the incident was and still is the aligner for Bob Jane...That particular store had an owner change 2 or 3 years ago, so whether that has something to do with it or not I can't say for sure.

20 odd years ago, I quit after a single days work at a Bob Jane franchise because they didn't allow test drives...

P

Pauldw500

What about getting Paul to flog it, get the error code up and limp to garage.
Because of course it'll NEVER happen close to the shop. That car in low power mode isn't a VW limp mode where it's simply restricted to 3,000rpm and VERY driveble. These cars in this mode are good enough to get you to the kerb, about it as I'm sure it switches 7 cylinders off....lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had an issue with mine busting a valve spring and it still got me home. Probably 12km before I knew for sure I had an issue. Mine was dumping in probably twice or three times as much fuel to protect the engine. I thought limp mode was 1st gear and about 40kph to get you to a garage.

P

Pauldw500

I had an issue with mine busting a valve spring and it still got me home. Probably 12km before I knew for sure I had an issue. Mine was dumping in probably twice or three times as much fuel to protect the engine. I thought limp mode was 1st gear and about 40kph to get you to a garage.
Well I've had heaps of experience in low power mode in this car lol and it's a hazzard IMO. My old Golf went into limp mode and I drove it for a week like that...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah you have. I would have thought it would have been what I suggested but obviously not. I've only had limp mode in a V6 and it was about 40kph and one gear I think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's supposed to be called limp home mode, not pull to the curb mode.

P

Pauldw500

Yeah you have. I would have thought it would have been what I suggested but obviously not. I've only had limp mode in a V6 and it was about 40kph and one gear I think.
I'll get a video next time, the wait won't be long lol. Car shakes and crawls along, it's real poor..

Status
Not open for further replies.