Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Those round window things are not a good gauge of battery health unfortunately.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The last battery I replaced in my car was still showing good on that window indicator thing but was completely dead, couldn’t even jump start the car with that battery that’s how dead it was lol

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The last battery I replaced in my car was still showing good on that window indicator thing but was completely dead, couldn’t even jump start the car with that battery that’s how dead it was lol

Yep, those indicators are measuring two things. The ‘recharge’/‘okay’ is simply the specific density of the electrolyte in the battery. The ‘replace’ is a measure of the height of the electrolyte. So, ‘replace’ means the battery has low electrolyte (dried out). But the indicator is only in one cell. The other five cells don’t have indicators so one of them could have failed but the indicator will say the battery is ‘okay’.

Also, it's not uncommon for an ‘intercell connection’ to fail. They are simply a spot weld connecting the adjoining cells in series. Vibration and mechanical jarring can break those welds at times - and instant ‘flat’ battery. The indicator won’t detect that either.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
OK another second hand 700CCA with a 3 month warranty in the car. No difference, and not convinced a brand new will be any different. Started fine and just been round the big block (few ks at least). Stability control keeps switching itself off and on and in turn throws the 'check engine' screen, but scanner finds no codes. Reset anyway and the stability comes back on. Then I'll give it a bit and it'll go off and moan like a little girl the car is...lol

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Indicator stalk works a treat tho...lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the switch is plugged in properly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Status
Not open for further replies.