Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new sound system.

Cohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
What do you mean 4 speakers? So you want to put a set in the rear as well?? Why??? What's wrong with the ones that are in there????

Well no aftermarket speaker is really going to make a major improvement without adding an external amplifier, this is why we have amplifiers in the first place.

And yes I want to put a set in the rear doors aswell.. Why not?

Cohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Yes you have splits in the front doors all ready.

Kinda hard to hear a speaker in the rear door no?

Okay, thanks, I didnt know. The fella was going to mount the tweeters in the doors.
Where bouts will I locate them?

And yes I suppose but just to give it that extra bit of sound I suppose.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
If you re in the mosh pit at a Metallica concert, watching the stage, it would sound weird if the music came from behind yes?

Rear speakers are pointless and do nothing but disrupt your sound stage, unless of course you care about your passengers that much. Do yourself a favour, get a fantastic pair of splits for the front, that will go loud enough to satisfy the whole car. VX commodores come with stock splits, have a look up near the corners of your front window, those two grilles have tweeters underneath them.

The effort that you put into splits is worth it (even though it's not that much harder).

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What fella? I'd stay away from who ever he is.

Why wouldn't you mount them where the stock one's are now?

Did you read the sticky?

Cohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Alright fair enough.
Now I know I can fit splits I WILL for sure.
I'll keep the stock rears, for now.

And the dual sub has the amp built in (I presume you already knew that)
So I'm under the impression I can only run the sub off the inbuilt amp as it's most likely mono?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I would go for this headunit JVC KW-XR616. I've seen it sell for as low as $199, so haggle. I own one, good little unit. Slightly laggy on ipod use, but I have done some research and it turns out that it's an issue that a lot of headunits have, which varies with ipod and iOS.

I would go with these splits Focal 165A1. Focal are a highly respected brand, make sure you have a listen to them in store to make sure you like the sound they produce.

And yes, that should be a mono block amp or a 2ch amp.

Cohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
I would go for this headunit JVC KW-XR616. I've seen it sell for as low as $199, so haggle. I own one, good little unit. Slightly laggy on ipod use, but I have done some research and it turns out that it's an issue that a lot of headunits have, which varies with ipod and iOS.

I would go with these splits Focal 165A1. Focal are a highly respected brand, make sure you have a listen to them in store to make sure you like the sound they produce.

And yes, that should be a mono block amp or a 2ch amp.

I did look at that unit but i just really like the look of the clarion opposed to the jvc.

Are these splits right to run off just the head deck only? Until I get a 2 channel amp?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Focal have now updated their speaker range fyi. It's now the performance series and integration series.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I did look at that unit but i just really like the look of the clarion opposed to the jvc.

Are these splits right to run off just the head deck only? Until I get a 2 channel amp?

You can run any speakers off the head unit you like. They will just be limited to how they will play, and they will wind up distorting much earlier on, which by the way will be a case of the head unit running out of clean power, not the speakers reaching their limits. A lot of people listen to their speakers and they tend to think why bother with an amp when i can all ready make them distort.

The Focals reccomended to you are quite good, i find some Focals can be a little bright, but for a decent set of speakers for a beginner, it won't matter one bit. Also if you went with the cheaper head unit, then you could add a better subwoofer package. If you think the subwoofer package you have in mind will be adequeute, then use the remaining money to get a 2 ch amp to run the fronts.

Oh, and the JVC unit Magoo linked you to is a decent buy too man, it's got everything most people need in a head unit, and you can change the colour of the display (if the pink was putting you off.) Take it from the people who know, rather than deciding on which one you think is the best just by looking at pictures on a website.

Best of luck

Last edited: