Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS V6 has poxy fuel economy!!!

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I know this is an old thread and as such I gave the VS to the daughter yonks ago but I still see (and have to work on) the VS, it still gets 500+ kms from a full tank (around town) longest trip say to Rocky + back 100K.

It aint rocket science, I had tried to waste fuel once with power mode on all the time a/c on etc etc and it's pretty simple to get 300 from a tank, same car different driver and it's back to 500+, all it takes is a soft foot, not a soft brain.
:thumbsup:

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I've had my fuel economy range from 10l / 100kays (530kays to tank) to 11.63l/100kays (455kays to tank)

I'm not happy with this...

Reason being: I used to own a VS V6 Calais which returned as low as 8l / 100kays on the highway, would get to 11l / 100kays only if you pushed it around town.
I think this was because I had sports exhaust and cold air, always changed all filters regularly.

Shall have to sort mine out I think...

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
+500 seems to be more than the average, That VS was a wagon, had 258,000 kms on it, all that was done was a good CAI setup, new plugs, good synthetic oil, new fuel filter, and the t/b cleaned, thats it, no secret parts.

Many use a/c like a must have item, opening the window/s won't hurt ya, yeah sure the a/c has to be on sometimes, it does get warm up here, even so once cool turn the temp control so it's not working all the time as for power mode it needs to be on only when overtaking, and for the "slow" driver that is very seldom.

Rest assured it will suck a heap more fuel at 105 than at 95 and in reality you end up at the destination pretty well together so most is driver control not engine setup, but it does help if the thing is running properly, pretty basic.

Everyone sees it daily, those racing the lights, to get where ? one car ahead, never mind the wear on driveline, brakes etc, any car will last a heap longer if driven like they care, problem is normal to some is getting 300 k from a full tank, heh it's their cash and car, good luck to em.

:w00t:

Kiwicommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon 3.8
So when its in power mode it gets more fuel also? I thought it just made the shifts faster. My old Toyota gets better economy in its autos power mode I thought the VS would be the same. Am I wrong on this?

Also would a CAI help with fuel economy? I dont want to change the exhaust as I want it quiet but was thinking a CAI and good filter may help. Its not bad at the moment with getting about 450k around town but mores always better.

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
Com See, Com Sar

Rest assured it will suck a heap more fuel at 105 than at 95 and in reality you end up at the destination pretty well together so most is driver control not engine setup, but it does help if the thing is running properly, pretty basic.

:w00t:

Digisol,
I disagree with you on this one.
Different Vehicles for different Courses:bang:
I also drive an 1985 BMW 735i, the 'Old' E23 one, with the"Truck" motor.
It is most economical at 105-110.
At 95-100 it wants to change down for the smallest anthill in the road.
Whereas at 105-110 she purrs over all but the Steepies in Top.
Above 120 she starts to Suck, little bit more all the time.
It's a 4 speed Auto with Cruise.........
It's my Mile Eating Battlecruiser:w00t: :whistling

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Yeah but as the site says "just commodores" one might think that is the subject, or if lost try just BMW's ?

Remember the thread about VS fuel economny, not some other car.

;)

Oh yeah the power mode allows more fuel by lengthening the squirt of fuel and by doing so probably more than not also changes the timing, some have the inpression it holds in gear longer, it may but only as your foot is hard on the throttle, IE how else would it increase power ? remember that being in top gear, there is no hold in gear longer, your in o/d end of story, unless ya have a secret 6th gear the rest don't have.

:D

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
did the filter in the VT yesterday, and economy went from 13.5 to 13.7 :ranting:
was 12.5 last week...

I was told power mode doesn't do anything to power level or firmness of shifts, it only changes shift points to higher in the rev range.

Last edited:

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I think you'll find that the only effect pushing the 'power' button will have is to tell the ecu to hold gears longer before upshifting, and to downshift more readily. There is no extra fuel squirted into the engine as this would just cause it to run rich, which doesnt help anything at all.

The reason it consumes more fuel is that the higher the revs, the more fuel you are using because the engine turns more times for each rotation of the wheels, which means you get more fuel sprayed in for each unit of distance travelled. (this only applies through the engines normal operating range... if you take it to extremes the reverse can be true)

this is why keeping the revs down will help reduce fuel consumption. Also note that the amount of fuel that is injected is directly proportional to the amount of air going in, i.e. how far open the throttle is, hence less throttle = less fuel consumption. This is because for fuel to burn efficiently and release the largest possible amount of energy from combustion, the mixture must be kept as close to the stoichiometric ratio as possible. You control the air going in with the throttle, and the computer brings the fuel amount up to match whatever air you decided to put in.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Seems everyone has a theory on this, much like a/holes everone has one, well I did the fairly obvious and tested all this on the road, so it's not a theory, feel free to try it.

Same highway with a 1/2 mile long fairly steep hill, the engine locked in third no power mode ! OK (there is no hold in gear variance) the car simply runs out of puff and starts to slow at the top of the hill, extra throttle does nothing, OK ? same hill same car but with power mode on, it will happily hold speed (and rpm) up the hill, plus it will overtake another car up that hill, (remember always stuck in third) and the rpm does not vary, the power does.

So then what did it do ? added more fuel = more power, it did not alter rpm, the same car on the flat would increase rpm without power mode (scratch one theory), yet with power mode the car would pull hard up the hill and would accelerate if required, that's what it's for, it does not hold or alter the gear changes whatsoever, remember I was stuck in third gear or top gear as 4th is near a .78 - 1 overdrive, not a 1 - 1 ratio

Very similar to the old Z1B kawa 900, they will do 115 in third easy, but in 4th they shat themself and in 5th do stuff all, your lucky to hit 125 mph, same bike with extractors ? no difference just more noise, however with a moddest dyna jet kit (jets only) the same engine will get to 150 mph easy, same rpm, the only changes simply add more fuel = more power, same engine.

My Triumph 900 speed triple had trouble winding out in top (that's @ 200+ kph) for beginners, it was changed to a stage 3 dyna jet kit, (slides and all jets) it instantly hit the rev limiter in "every" gear the only difference was more fuel, + a massive power increase, it will hit 9500 limiter in top gear NP, that's exactly 255 kph for learners (bouncing of the limiter) OK so what was changed ? more fuel, pretty simple, it ain't rocket science, remember the only thing that was changed is the amount of fuel it was given.

Test your commo up a long hill "without" moving the throttle, it will definitely slow, but with power mode it will (should) hold speed as the engine works harder plus it should increase speed if needed, but please lock it in third so there is no chance of slipping up to o/d and also don't tramp it so it kicks back to 2nd.

It's all about fuel, not revs or gear changes, but heh try to overtake someone without and then with power mode (in third), the difference is quite substantial, and doing say 100 + the revs don't alter that much between say 100 -115 compared to the vehicle speed, against the rev difference in 1st & 2nd gear.

What the heh, try it in o/d, same same but don't let it kick back down, the old eco has more power than some really give credit for, especially when it's really asked for it..

But then again the V8 kinda blows em away pretty easy....in any gear, I lit it up unce in 1st at "full" throttle just to see what would really happen, quite impressive for a grey old grandad, my foot slipped officer, honest.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The power mode switch changes the shift patterns, nothing more & nothing less, it will hold the gears longer & shift a bit faster.

i dont know why your test showed those results but the simple fact is the PCM doesnt change the engine calibration when the power mode switch is engaged.

Rob