Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VT

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Buy plastic primer and then do a light first coat and then the next 2 coats abit heavier and you won't have an issue. Nice first attempt though! Especially on the top half

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
yeah your putting your paint on very heavy there mate, just re-sand your dash, buy some plastic primer. prime it then paint it.

keep the spray can about 15-20cms away from the dash itself and just do very light coats, and be patient.

booders9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Yeaa, I'll go do it now....

a bit random, but were you advertising you wanting a new dash on facebook BUY SELL SWAP? I had my mate inbox you saying he had one. That was mine. Inbox if you are keen, you can have it real cheap if you are still wanting a new one.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Yeaa, I did use the plastic primer haha
Unfortunately that's just my spray painting skills coming into play haha

a bit random, but were you advertising you wanting a new dash on facebook BUY SELL SWAP? I had my mate inbox you saying he had one. That was mine. Inbox if you are keen, you can have it real cheap if you are still wanting a new one.

Yeaa I did, but then realised I've got no money until at least next week, too much **** to pay.
It's not just the dash fascia I need either, I need the plastic covering that goes over the gear shift as well cause I snapped a bit of the plastic when trying to take it off.

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
This is the worst part!! I snapped the plastic bit of the "P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1" and need to get a new one of the gearstick surrounding.. Don't know what it's actually called.
View attachment 134104

View attachment 134103

View attachment 134102

View attachment 134105
I like to see people have a go at doing things you have just gone a bit heavy on it. Best way is to just sand it back as best as you can then prime it and start to apply paint again like Parabola said light coats build it up slowly what sort of prep work did you do ?

Last edited:

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I like to see people have a go at doing things you have just gone a bit heavy on it. Best way is to just sand it back as best as you can and start again what sort of prep work did you do ?

For prep all I did was apply the plastic primer, wait 10 minutes or so and then apply the colours, then after that I sprayed a clear coat...

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
When you sand it back this time and get it nice and smooth apply the primer and then give it a very light sand to make it smooth again but dont sand all the primer off. (for this you will need a finner grit sand paper or sanding sponge is better) From there just apply the paint in light coats and take your time should come up good.

Last edited:

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Practice makes perfect mate ;) keep trying :) you know you do a coat to heavy when it starts running so learn from that coat and go lighter

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
When you sand it back this time and get it nice and smooth apply the primer and then give it a very light sand to make it smooth again but dont sand all the primer off. (for this you will need a finner grit sand paper or sanding sponge is better) From there just apply the paint in light coats and take your time should come up good.

I've got 320 sandpaper and 400 sandpaper... Don't know if that helps at all haha.
I'll definitely be doing very light coats next time. But it's going to have to wait til next week I think, I have to pay too much stuff in the meantime... So for the moment I'm stuck with with the ugliest dash you'll ever see :( It's quite depressing haha.

Yeaa Cam, I'll definitely be doing alot more coats but about 10 times lighter I reckon haha.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Ok, I've done a couple of very minor things to the car in the last couple of days...

Let me know what you think.

1000000376.jpg

1000000377.jpg

Car (Blue Light 3).JPG

They're cheap mods and look half decent so I thought why not :)