Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
His website lists a commodore which is a "large" car at $1290 for the full treatment. Didn't think that was that much more than other opticoat dealers?
September 2016 in Brisbane I paid $1500 for the following package on a VF2 Black Ed ute with hardlid: opticoat pro+ including interior treatment, 3M window tint, outer wheel treatment & some freebie windscreen application (which I assume would not be all that long lasting with lots of wiper use).

More than happy with the price & outcome on the phantom ute and anyway there's not a lot of competition usually to shop around. All said & done I'm more interested that the final outcome than saving a hundred bucks.

For anyone questioning these types of treatment, you'll be glad you did it every time you wash your pride & joy or it rains.

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
Hey Redbadge,
I've been watching the news coverage, hope you didn't suffer too much damage.
Opticoat Pro+ is a permanent coating which can only be removed by abrasive methods (polishing, sanding etc)
Provided it is properly cared for (correct washing methods etc) then it should last indefinitely.
There are too many conflicting views and opinions floating about online so it's a little hard to know what to believe.
There is a bit of info here on their website. https://opticoat.com.au/opti-coat-pro
Thanks for the info Zero. Not much damage at my place just without power for about 50 hours so the camping gear got dusted off. Quite a bit of damage around Moranbah though which shows the extent of the power from Debbie given we're inland that far. We got off lightly though, some places on the coast won't have power for weeks apparently but we're pretty resilient up here and everyone is rallying in support.

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
September 2016 in Brisbane I paid $1500 for the following package on a VF2 Black Ed ute with hardlid: opticoat pro+ including interior treatment, 3M window tint, outer wheel treatment & some freebie windscreen application (which I assume would not be all that long lasting with lots of wiper use).

More than happy with the price & outcome on the phantom ute and anyway there's not a lot of competition usually to shop around. All said & done I'm more interested that the final outcome than saving a hundred bucks.

For anyone questioning these types of treatment, you'll be glad you did it every time you wash your pride & joy or it rains.
Hey Holden17. Who did you go through fir the Opticoat in Brisbane mate ? Would you recommend them ?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Holden17. Who did you go through fir the Opticoat in Brisbane mate ? Would you recommend them ?
Hi RedBadge, I used SolarStyle at Coorparoo & yes would recommend them for the Opticoat. We're thinking seriously about an SS wagon over the next couple of months & I might be tempted to give TimelessCarCleaning at Virginia (since I'm actually on the Northside) a go for their Modesta.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
There is an opticoat dealer in Canberra i'll be using. Has a pretty good rep, check out his fb page and look at some of the pics.
Hey there, booked our still non existent Redline, in at Obsession Car Detailing today for the full in and out opticoat pro treatment, a week after the car is meant to be delivered... Fingers crossed this time, These guys have a great rep, and are pretty booked up for their services. As a Panelbeater I have wrestled with the decision for about 3 months, then a bird shat on our present family car, while parked at the wife's work, and it must have had some spicy Indian or something and even though it was washed off a few hours later it still burnt into the paint. So that made my mind up, I always look after our cars and they are generally the cleanest in the street, regardless of in this case 6 years of looking after the paint on this car one bird has ruined the bonnet. So it's opticoat for us, I would be devastated if that happened to our new redline..... When it finally gets here.

Last edited:

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hey there, booked our still non existent Redline, in at Obsession Car Detailing today for the full in and out opticoat pro treatment, a week after the car is mentioned to be delivered... Fingers crossed this time, These guys have a great rep, and are pretty booked up for their services. As a Panelbeater I have wrestled with the decision for about 3 months, then a bird shat on our present family car, while parked at the wife's work, and it must have had some spicy Indian or something and even though it was washed off a few hours later it still burnt into the paint. So that made my mind up, I always look after our cars and they are generally the cleanest in the street, regardless of in this case 6 years of looking after the paint on this car one bird has ruined the bonnet. So it's opticoat for us, I would be devastated if that happened to our new redline..... When it finally gets here.
Hi Redline 2017, as a panel beater you would know all about polishing wouldn't you? If you've got access to a rupes (for example) polisher you could probably do just as good a job yourself with another off the self titanium/silica/whatever product. BTW, none of them last forever, they get abraded off through the same process that sandblasts your windscreen, headlights etc. Opticoat and Glasscoat sound like very similar processes though Opticoat is not available to the public. Both are a two part process with a primer (a diminishing polish) and the protective coat with must be kept dry for 24hrs to cure. You can apply a second coat to increase film thickness. Another advantage of these protective coatings is they are harder than the OEM clear making it harder to key the car. An advantage of Glasscoat is you can maintain the coating yourself, (which is recommended) with Opticoat you have to go back to the detailer to have it re-applied. The quality of the shine really comes down to the effort you put in to the preparation/paint correction/application of the primer. Opticoat looks like a great product but I'm going Glasscoat as I like doing this sort of stuff myself, it will be a "bonding" experience :) It'll also stop the baby oil lifting those decals:)

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hi Redline 2017, as a panel beater you would know all about polishing wouldn't you? If you've got access to a rupes (for example) polisher you could probably do just as good a job yourself with another off the self titanium/silica/whatever product. BTW, none of them last forever, they get abraded off through the same process that sandblasts your windscreen, headlights etc. Opticoat and Glasscoat sound like very similar processes though Opticoat is not available to the public. Both are a two part process with a primer (a diminishing polish) and the protective coat with must be kept dry for 24hrs to cure. You can apply a second coat to increase film thickness. Another advantage of these protective coatings is they are harder than the OEM clear making it harder to key the car. An advantage of Glasscoat is you can maintain the coating yourself, (which is recommended) with Opticoat you have to go back to the detailer to have it re-applied. The quality of the shine really comes down to the effort you put in to the preparation/paint correction/application of the primer. Opticoat looks like a great product but I'm going Glasscoat as I like doing this sort of stuff myself, it will be a "bonding" experience :) It'll also stop the baby oil lifting those decals:)
Sorry, reference to the baby oil is from a different thread, just in case your thinking WTF :)

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes Martin, but I would say unless you are pretty much an expert which I am not, as careful and patient as I can be, the average punter won't get the same result as opticoat or similar, particularly if some paint correction is necessary. How many well meaning novices have you seen do a dis-service to their paint thinking they can't go wrong with an orbital polisher and the right products?

I'm not having a go at anyone but I don't think there are too many out there (unless specifically trained) who are going to get the results the experts get. I'm not questioning your skill but for most of us it's like all of those reno & DIY shows on TV - the project should only take an hour (less the ads) & what can possibly go wrong....

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Evening Martin, good job on the bonding pun lol, yes I have had quite alot to do with polishing over the years in my trade, it is certainly a skill all on its own. To bring a paint surface to its best means different techniques required for both fresh paint, and an older surface. That said, if someone was experienced enough on the buff and consistently got great results, fine go for it, however one buff through, cutting through on an edge, or burning the paint surface is going to require respraying and polishing commencing again, and all this before the ceramic coating goes on. (Sorry mate if this sounds lecture like, I am explaining in such detail for people on this forum that may be considering trying any of this stuff after heading down to SCA and having a crack.) You are correct in saying that I would be confident enough to attempt the paint correction on my new car, however with the full day of my time, maybe 2 invested into the completion of said paint correction, even on a new car, especially one that has been driven out here, (bugs, bugs and more bugs,) it would be a pure economic decision on my part, my earnings out way the money invested in a professional carrying out the service, and application of the coating, not only will they more than likely get it right first time, and to a quality I probably will not reach, (dust free environment etc) but will also rectify any problems or issues I may have on the spot if any, plus it comes with a 7 year warranty, not sure anything I do myself in my garage comes with that kind of cover lol. I certainly am one to do things myself at home, however in this case after some umming and ahhring, have decided that if I am going down the ceramic coating route (as opposed to other sorts of paint protection #scam) I will be leaving our brand new baby Redline in the hands of experienced pro. As I explained in a previous message, only to save us some work/heartache/money, down the road due to sap and wildlife crap, and road kill splatter on the highway some of that stuff sets like concrete BTW. I did look at Glass coat, amongst others, however Opticoat pro, is available to us in Canberra and has a warranty, that's what sold it to us. Best of luck mate. Ps. Rupes make great tools

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Yes Martin, but I would say unless you are pretty much an expert which I am not, as careful and patient as I can be, the average punter won't get the same result as opticoat or similar, particularly if some paint correction is necessary. How many well meaning novices have you seen do a dis-service to their paint thinking they can't go wrong with an orbital polisher and the right products?

I'm not having a go at anyone but I don't think there are too many out there (unless specifically trained) who are going to get the results the experts get. I'm not questioning your skill but for most of us it's like all of those reno & DIY shows on TV - the project should only take an hour (less the ads) & what can possibly go wrong....
Hi Holden17, I know what you mean re the reno shows, I use to watch the odd one and shake my head at the impression they use to give the viewers, (ie lets just knock up this 3 bedroom extension before lunch). Great for the tradies though, all the unfinished renos due to people getting in over the heads, running out of time, interest etc. But you are right in what you say, you wont get the same result as a bloke who does little else than polish cars.