Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There was an article in todays newspaper that Holden has built the last V6 engine (forgot if this was yesterday that the engine was built). As has been discussed previously, Holden are supposed to be building enough V6 engines to see out production of VF II.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That article would/should have also said that they have a stockpile of those engines to see out production.

I believe the last "customer" engine was actually built on Monday and yesterday's last engine was more ceremonial in nature and will become a museum piece.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Hi all, I recieved my letter from Holden being an ex employee. I was excited to put down my deposit as a expression of interest for the SSV Redline Sedan special edition which quote they say is "racetrack ready? You bet..." Time will tell I guess. But quite a wait I expect

so does that mean you are only getting one seat closer to the middle of the car with no luxury items like air con power windows, no back seats full roll cage fuel cell..... I mean what is racetrack ready really mean?

GEN4SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International. VP SS. VF2 SSV
so does that mean you are only getting one seat closer to the middle of the car with no luxury items like air con power windows, no back seats full roll cage fuel cell..... I mean what is racetrack ready really mean?

Your guess is as good as mine on what that means. Just a bit of hype im sure. Have to have a laugh though.

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

Think HSV Track Edition. Could be the 6 piston brakes the head salesman told me about last week when I picked up my Redline.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
image.jpg

I'd say it will have a few extras, nothing to special. There is a hidden menu in the VF2 redline that can be unlocked that gives you track lap times, 0-100 times and personal bests etc. I've questioned Holden about it and they said this: (the first part of the reply is them answering my two part question about why the exported Chevy SS gets three extra apps we don't get, the second part is an answer to my question of why does my car contain a hidden track/performance mode that has to be unlocked, and why isn't it just available to use straight out of the box)

"Hi Stuey,

Every model is tailored and modified to suit the country it will be sold in. That is currently the only explanation I have as to why the SSV doesn't have access to these other apps, yet the Chevrolet version does. However, thank you for the feedback about this, I will pass it on to the appropriate team!

Regarding the locked software, it's not intended to be used by consumers so that is why it's not readily available.

Let me know if you have further questions
Emily @ Holden"

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
image.png
here's another picture of the hidden performance mode menu that Holden told me "isn't intended for consumers"

I'm thinking the only explanation is this is to be included in the last of the last 2017 plated special edition "track ready" Commodores

Last edited:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
The real explanation is that the software isn't written specifically for one car. It's a GM product that's designed for multiple cars and individual bits and pieces are hidden depending on the car. Realistically, the menu is hidden in the Redline to add value to HSV and their EDI.

This happens in cars all the time. Features or components are removed to differentiate between cars and to drive "perceived value."

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This happens in cars all the time. Features or components are removed to differentiate between cars and to drive "perceived value."
Manufacturers need to offer, say, a Mazda3 with prices spanning from $20k to $40k. But the extra stuff they're adding to the $40k model half exists in the $20k model, and it ALSO doesn't cost an extra $20k to bring to market.
Mazda could probably make similar profit if they sold as many 3's as they do now, but ONLY their top spec-level, and it was ~$26k.
But they WOULDN'T sell as many cars, buyers want the illusion of choice.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
The real explanation is that the software isn't written specifically for one car. It's a GM product that's designed for multiple cars and individual bits and pieces are hidden depending on the car. Realistically, the menu is hidden in the Redline to add value to HSV and their EDI.

but isn't HSV a whole different company? I understand the HSV has their own EDI, but this is built in to the commodore by Holden, why would they put this in, then chose to not make it available to their customers? like you can't buy a more upper spec version than the SSV redline from Holden themselves, know what I mean?