Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
As much as I love you guys and this forum this thread is starting to annoy me.

"Oh it's just a parts bin special why would you pay the premium" - Realistically, what did you expect from Holden given the real world situation? That is, no funding and emissions laws restricting engine upgrades. The Motorsport edition gets like 6-7 track-focused, functional hardware changes that are going to make it into an absolute weapon, especially after the LS3 is bumped to ~380kw which is easily done at any respectable tuner. Sure you could do the same or similar upgrades a bit cheaper yourself aftermarket but cmon, it's a lot of stuff for the premium.

"There's going to be so many it will never be worth anything" - Why do you assume that everyone is buying this car to try and make money down the track or retain future value? I'm buying a limited edition because its the best damn Commodore that's ever been made, because it's the last of the naturally aspirated V8 manual RWD sedans ever, and the last Australian made Holden to boot. It's going to be my daily and used for track days as well, not sit in a garage under a cover.

The current Redline is a cracker car in its own right. The Chevy SS (basically a Motorsport edition with less stuff) has received RAVE review from very well respected motoring journalists in the US. No other car on the market will compare to it's performance and engagement for ~$70k, not many cars double that price can even claim to do so. I'm excited to be getting what is sure to be a massively fun and engaging car, and honored to be supporting Holden and Australian manufacturing one last time. Everyone should be celebrating these cars instead of whinging and complaining. It seems a lot of people must have had unrealistic expectations in the first place.

/endrant

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Any one here had a drive away price for motorsport edition auto with no options
Hi PSISLE, I'm waiting on a DA price for a manual SE tomorrow morning, I'll post it up once I know and if you add $2200? you'll have an idea (in Melb. anyway). For anyone interested Brighton Holden still have one new white manual SSVR My16 and one new auto MY16 SSVR for sale (not sure of colour but may be grey). Holdens 4 day sale for MY16 plated cars is still current so a bargain for those interested.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
From memory, it was introduced MY16 VF2. In competitive mode only, the abs will add brake to the wheel that needs it to help steer/put the power down. Something along that line.
Okay need to know more.... Now

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
As much as I love you guys and this forum this thread is starting to annoy me.

"Oh it's just a parts bin special why would you pay the premium" - Realistically, what did you expect from Holden given the real world situation? That is, no funding and emissions laws restricting engine upgrades. The Motorsport edition gets like 6-7 track-focused, functional hardware changes that are going to make it into an absolute weapon, especially after the LS3 is bumped to ~380kw which is easily done at any respectable tuner. Sure you could do the same or similar upgrades a bit cheaper yourself aftermarket but cmon, it's a lot of stuff for the premium.

"There's going to be so many it will never be worth anything" - Why do you assume that everyone is buying this car to try and make money down the track or retain future value? I'm buying a limited edition because its the best damn Commodore that's ever been made, because it's the last of the naturally aspirated V8 manual RWD sedans ever, and the last Australian made Holden to boot. It's going to be my daily and used for track days as well, not sit in a garage under a cover.

The current Redline is a cracker car in its own right. The Chevy SS (basically a Motorsport edition with less stuff) has received RAVE review from very well respected motoring journalists in the US. No other car on the market will compare to it's performance and engagement for ~$70k, not many cars double that price can even claim to do so. I'm excited to be getting what is sure to be a massively fun and engaging car, and honored to be supporting Holden and Australian manufacturing one last time. Everyone should be celebrating these cars instead of whinging and complaining. It seems a lot of people must have had unrealistic expectations in the first place.

/endrant
Well said, each to their own.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Explain
20170119_213343.jpg

Attachments

• 20170119_213343.jpg
    20170119_213343.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 142

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
I pick up my MY17 SSVR tomorrow morning. Has anyone else git their 2017 model yet?
Hi Anthony121, I reckon you'd be probably the first, the day after the press release (as predicted). Make sure you post up some pics and make us all jealous :)

OSH1360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
does anyone remember back in the series 1 VE, when they did their "SSV Special Edition" which was a parts bin special, where it was a standard SSV with the Pontiac G8 body kit and sticker pack?

What are they worth now?

that's the exact scenario we are in now with these new "special editions".

my prediction is in the coming years, the standard MY17 SSVR will be worth more money then these special editions, as no one will remember them. you cant just slap on a heritage name and expect them to be the bee's knee's. we are NOT going to see the same pattern between the VL director and the VF director. at least with a VL director, that vehicle was something extra and special.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Hi Anthony121, I reckon you'd be probably the first, the day after the press release (as predicted). Make sure you post up some pics and make us all jealous :)
Would definitely love some pics, and any info as it's over 2 damn months till we get ours grrrrr

OSH1360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden

this is nothing new?

Its called competitive mode. standard feature.
dont know that it increases performance, but it just turns of stability control.

you activate it by pressing the traction control button twice.

pressing once turns traction control off.
pressing twice turns traction control back on, and stability control off.
holding the button in for 5 seconds turns traction and stability control off.

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
I have been waiting well over a year to finally see photos of the Director today. We all knew it would be a parts bin special and although the performance upgrade to the Calais V is welcome, the aesthetics do not give it a "from the boardroom" look.....the LS3 sticker on the grill is very tacky and quite amateurish and those black red rimmed wheels are not what i consider something that should be fitted to an executive express. I realise that costs had to be kept low by standardisation of fitted parts though i truly believe that a little more money spent on a bespoke front grill design will have given the Director much more appeal....the black painted grill looks cheap. The photos also show that the Director is fitted with the Chevy SS rear seat with only 2 headrests instead of the Calais V,s 3 headrests.....hardly a deal breaker though something to note for us enthusiasts. Whats is important to note is that this is the first Calais based vehicle with paddle shifters outside of HSV....for all of us Calais drivers, could this mean that Holden has a Calais body contol module firmware that allows us to flash the paddle shifter option to our cars??
In summary, i still beleive that HSV's Senator signature is the truest expression of the spirit of a Director. The balance of agression, sport, luxury and Chrome bits is just right.....for a price.