Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink hack or upgrade

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Thread revival.

Anyone know anything about this GVIF standard??? I see a lot of modules for sale that run for close to grand for a kit with all the bells and whistles. I'm just after something akin to an HDMI to GVIF converter box. Don't need audio, can bus (buttons) or touch screen interface. Just something dead simple that I can use an external switch to swap between screen mirroring and the factory mylink. What I'm hoping to achieve is have a set of gauges from the torque app mirrored onto the mylink screen. Think poor mans EDI. @stooge

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thread revival.

Anyone know anything about this GVIF standard??? I see a lot of modules for sale that run for close to grand for a kit with all the bells and whistles. I'm just after something akin to an HDMI to GVIF converter box. Don't need audio, can bus (buttons) or touch screen interface. Just something dead simple that I can use an external switch to swap between screen mirroring and the factory mylink. What I'm hoping to achieve is have a set of gauges from the torque app mirrored onto the mylink screen. Think poor mans EDI. @stooge

the gvif standard requires a bit of logic to convert to hdmi so a box with that logic is required.

the box i have that works with the vf mylink is the "IW03GF" but i cant find it on their site now so it looks like it is discontinued, they have the "IW03C-SB" but that will not work on the vf

this is the manual for IW03GF

i have another gvif logic box but it converts composite video to gvif which is this one

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, thanks Stooge.

If I could push you a little for knowledge....

With regards to the IW03GF vs. IW03C-SB what are the headline differences that would make it not a suitable candidate for my needs?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is all I want to do

1630129633452.png

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok, thanks Stooge.

If I could push you a little for knowledge....

With regards to the IW03GF vs. IW03C-SB what are the headline differences that would make it not a suitable candidate for my needs?

The IW03C-SB is for the newer mylinks that use lvds for the display not gvif so it does not have the connections for the gvif on the vf mylink.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok,

So as long as whatever I find has GVIF output I should be OK? Or is there more layers to this onion... Had a quick read of the standard on Sony's website. Should be universal across all makes

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes, as long as the box you find uses the gvif standard it should display a picture on the mylink screen.

try envyous customs, he has a different brand of gvif box but i cant remember the model number of it.
this is his install guide

Ta. Looking for something around the $150 range due to my basic needs. I've had a look at a basic $20 GVIF chip data sheet. Just takes RGB 8 bit inputs and spits out GVIF. Just cant believe there is not a basic bare bones converter for sale out there somewhere.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ta. Looking for something around the $150 range due to my basic needs. I've had a look at a basic $20 GVIF chip data sheet. Just takes RGB 8 bit inputs and spits out GVIF. Just cant believe there is not a basic bare bones converter for sale out there somewhere.

when i looked around a few years ago the only thing i could find were the hd-link boxes.
if you can find the IW03GF it will do what you need.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got in touch with a supplier. He said the Lexus units use the same GVIF connector so any of those units he says should work. Obviously CAN won't talk, but I'm not worried about that.