Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink hack or upgrade

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@stooge, how did you find the video quality compared to the factory Mylink quality with your boxes when you had them set up?

Before you get the $420 box message @TazzI
He runs envyouscustoms and he might be able to source you a hdmi to gvif box from his supplier.

I cant remember the resolution of the mylink screen but i think it was 720p and the composite video display of a ui was ok on it mainly because of the small scrren size but the 720p would be better/clearer text.

The reverse camera on the mylink is a composite feed converted to gvif so you can get an idea from that.

Another option might be to use the reverse cam input to the mylink and switch from the actual cam input to your hdmi>composite converter using a relay and at the same time send the can message to the mylink on the swcan for the reverse being engaged which should flick the display to the reverse cam input.

Then to switch back send the reverse disengaged message to the mylink and switch the relay back to the reverse camera.

These are the pins for the camera composite video input

20180904_215304.jpg

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Before you get the $420 box message @TazzI

He runs envyouscustoms and he might be able to source you a hdmi to gvif box from his supplier.

Been in touch with him over on the pcmhacking forum. Unfortunately he has moved away from the VF solution he previously put together.

The reverse camera on the mylink is a composite feed converted to gvif so you can get an idea from that.

Another option might be to use the reverse cam input to the mylink and switch from the actual cam input to your hdmi>composite converter using a relay and at the same time send the can message to the mylink on the swcan for the reverse being engaged which should flick the display to the reverse cam input.

Hmmm, thanks for the idea. That could work...

The other option I have considered is raiding the junk yard and looking for a media box in a Prius or Lexus etc that uses GVIF. Inside the box there will be a board with the GVIF chip. Tracing that back should lead to the RGB input lines and then follow that back to some other input interface which I could then solder some wires onto and input my video signal. Refer my comment in the 2nd paragraph... Mission!

Found this just before. Perfect example of the junkyard hack. He hacked up a GVIF sender board and wired in the TTL lines from an adafruit TFP401 board. Works a treat though. That is a sub $200 low cost solution!

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1630235687479.png

That's a full cable run from front to back. Is it a composite signal or GVIF as well?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
View attachment 226073
That's a full cable run from front to back. Is it a composite signal or GVIF as well?

Nor sure what you mean but the gvif signal is only used between the mylink silverbox and the screen.

If you are talking about the reverse camera it is composite from the camera to the silverbox.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok cool. Wondering what potential havoc sending a reverse packet out on the can would cause lol

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok cool. Wondering what potential havoc sending a reverse packet out on the can would cause lol

You should be able to log the packets required to switch the input and if sending the packet back to the can causes issues you could try setup your own middleman/passthru box on the swcan wire that goes to the mylink and only inject the packets on the mylink side so the canbus does not see them.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
@dassaur Awesome. You know, I done all this research over the past few days and the unit you linked to never showed up :( . You posted above with the IU10S which lead to me another thread which lead me to naviplus which is in Australia! Got in touch with him. They don't do the IU10S anymore but have another option that has HDMI / RCA input, supports mylink touch and integrates with the Holden CAN (uses long press of home button as the display switch) for $500 + postage. Think we have a winner here lads.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
@dassaur Awesome. You know, I done all this research over the past few days and the unit you linked to never showed up :( . You posted above with the IU10S which lead to me another thread which lead me to naviplus which is in Australia! Got in touch with him. They don't do the IU10S anymore but have another option that has HDMI / RCA input, supports mylink touch and integrates with the Holden CAN (uses long press of home button as the display switch) for $500 + postage. Think we have a winner here lads.

Where are you based? I got my system off https://www.importroad.com.au/
He is based in Sydney.
But it includes the netplay box and all the wiring too so see how you go and goes for $1k

I actually tried to buy that box from the supplier in Korea back in mid 2020 but they never got back to me.

Hope naviplus option works out for you