Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink replaced

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
However one thing these guys couldn’t answer was running this concurrently with the radio and how the system would behave if say, a phone call came in then what happens after if I had the radio running instead of Bluetooth audio. I was recommended to play Spotify or app radio instead!

I was planning on buying an add on box before my Mylink shat itself. But I didn’t want to loose the ability to change songs by the steering wheel controls and have to add in an extra mic. Don’t know about Android but with iPhones you can choose to use a bluetooth output but still display a Carplay screen. So in the case of a VF you should be able to set Mylink’s input to bluetooth (or usb if you need to charge), connect iPhone to the add-on by wifi and then manually activate the Carplay display for a seamless experiance. On a call Mylink will still think its displaying the phone screen because it doesn’t know about the add on. But the Carplay box actually has taken over the screen so you’ll still see the Carplay phone screen.

Someone would need to test this theory with the Mylink and the add-on hardware though. The above worked 100% on the test I did with a factory CarPlay car and my headphones but because my Mylink died I couldn’t buy the add on and do it in my VF.

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
I was planning on buying an add on box before my Mylink shat itself. But I didn’t want to loose the ability to change songs by the steering wheel controls and have to add in an extra mic. Don’t know about Android but with iPhones you can choose to use a bluetooth output but still display a Carplay screen. So in the case of a VF you should be able to set Mylink’s input to bluetooth (or usb if you need to charge), connect iPhone to the add-on by wifi and then manually activate the Carplay display for a seamless experiance. On a call Mylink will still think its displaying the phone screen because it doesn’t know about the add on. But the Carplay box actually has taken over the screen so you’ll still see the Carplay phone screen.

Someone would need to test this theory with the Mylink and the add-on hardware though. The above worked 100% on the test I did with a factory CarPlay car and my headphones but because my Mylink died I couldn’t buy the add on and do it in my VF.
There does seem my problems updating the head unit made by GMH it will my be
time some one works out how that we really needed the Maps updated but time will tell
it just has to to some Smart person to crack it and when and then

it can be done but when it happen all well be grateful
time is time
than us trying to find a complete replacement
it might happen it might not i just hope it will

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
There does seem my problems updating the head unit made by GMH it will my be
time some one works out how that we really needed the Maps updated but time will tell

it can be done but when it happen all well be grateful
time is time
than us trying to find a complete replacement
it might happen it might not i just hope it will
There are so many things working against getting map updates it will never happen, there are plenty of conversations covering this subject it is clear it won't happen.

Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it will my be

pretty much never going to happen mate, it would take someone to reverse engineer the encryption on the package for the maps to repackage an update.
there has to be an incentive to do it which would be monetary but they might face legal issues attempting to monetize it so most people capable of doing it just wont bother.
it is also not really a large market and the vehicle is now 7~10 years old so its not at the top of the cracking list for many people as we have all moved on to newer vehicles.

one issue i found was finding an update package to experiment with, dealers would not hand them out to customers and if customers ever had them they never shared it because it contained their vin.

for the vf i think the mitm box is probably the best way to go, it adds current technology but does not remove factory features or add some ugly ass screen hanging out over the dash, it retains the factory look and functions.
the chinese replacement units are cool but they all seem to have issues of some sort where the mitm boxes just add on to the factory system.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Idealy the Alpine vf specific head unit would have been the go if it ever materialized and you have a spare few grand. There is always going to be some sort of compromise when turning a pigs ear into a silk purse . And i quite like my ugly ass screen :rolleyes:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
havent bitten the bullet yet as it seems I have a lot of questions that I want answers to but recently found out that if you don't want CarPlay to automatically start then there's a setting to turn off auto-connect.

If you wanted to listen to the radio, you could still listen to the factory radio however you wont hear what's being transmitted over CarPlay such as Siri or navigation if set via Waze, Apple Maps etc. If you want to listen to the radio, then downloading a radio app like TuneIn radio which offers all the same stations and more as it's like Spotify but for radio stations. This does use the phones data as does all of CarPlay since it's a driving focused 'mirror' of the phone (ie turning off the phone would result in CarPlay stopping to work).

so is it really worth getting this applecarplay?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
so is it really worth getting this applecarplay?
I’d use it for the better connection to whatever music provider I used (eg. controlling Spotify via the car screen & without the nasty BlueTooth sound-quality you get when MyLink connects via BlueTooth), and the ability to have maps that aren’t stuck in about 2015.

Of course if you’re a Never-Appler, it’d be definitively pointless. :)

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
If you wanted to listen to the radio, you could still listen to the factory radio however you wont hear what's being transmitted over CarPlay such as Siri or navigation if set via Waze, Apple Maps etc.
That was what I was testing when I was looking at buying the import road version before my Mylink died.

Wireless Carplay uses a direct wifi to wifi connection so your bluetooth is still available on your phone. Key to having all sounds come through would be to ignore that they say use AUX and still have your phone hooked to Mylink with Bluetooth.

Then select Mylink as the output in control centre on your iPhone.

After that all you need to do is push the button (or I think it was a hold down a certain corner on the screen) to switch your car’s screen over to the carplay feed. Carplay can control the phone without necessarily have audio coming through it.

PH1LTHY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Series 2
@LyLy where did you get the fascia for your pioneer? I think I’ll be going down the RR2/head unit route. But really dont want to use the Aerpro Fascia. Which is all that ever comes up. Thanks

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
@LyLy where did you get the fascia for your pioneer? I think I’ll be going down the RR2/head unit route. But really dont want to use the Aerpro Fascia. Which is all that ever comes up. Thanks
It’s the standard facia in the car,
I just did the button delete ,
screen surround for the time being and all mounting brackets ,

The Rr2 also retains heated seats function and HU display depending on the settings a person does