Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NARVA Blue Power headlights = terrible

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You'll generally find that "white" lights give higher visibility than yellow (eg stock) lights, but once they start getting noticably blue, they're actually worse than the stock ones.

They also make you look like a RiCe bOi.

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Have a look at my thread..Phillips 'Blue vision' and they work pretty well, better than the Calibre ones I had in previously.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I was very careful not to touch the bulb in the first place :p, so I'm doubting that the problem. I measured the voltage at my headlights and I'm getting 11.6, would this matter much?

Is that with the engine running, if not, that's about as good as it gets.

Personally, I think everyone gets carried away with putting brighter lights in their car, I suppose the auto accessory shops love it at $40 and up for globes when a standard one only costs $8 and will generally last the life of the car.

The standard lights on my vx are great, unless I was doing 140Km/h+ on unmarked roads I couldnt see a need for any more. Compared to lights on cars of 30+ years ago there is no comparison.

Im not sure how lights that boast 80% more output can be used, the standard lamp is close to the maximum legal output that can be used in low beam driving.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I read somewhere (was VK related though....) that the stock relay's are only designed for a certain light ouput....and that installing brighter, or more powerful globes would require the relay to be upgraded...????

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
i spent 80 dollars each on the high and lows.. the blue vison tip philips ones with 80%, 10 times better then stock...then again my rides an older model..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Either am I. All he said was they'd be willing to swap, didn't specifically say for Blue Power or for same price etc.

I've talked to a mate and he said that Philips headlights are better anyway, Philips Blue Power or Crystal Vision.. Agree?

Blue visions are street legal, they are DOT compliant. Anything that is whiter than that is not. The reason being is cos they don't illuminate very well in the rain. Even the blue visions seem slightly duller in the wet. Have a look at the phillips web site and it tells you what is legal and what isn't. I have also heard the x-treme power are good, 80% more light but not sure how white they are.

X-treme Power

I've got a pair of Philips Xtreme power +80% in mine. Bit brighter than what was in it which were some kind of Osram (oem or not I don't know). I have basically no reflector paint left in the drivers side light either so it will be much better when I have a good one. At the moment the drivers side light barely does anything but I can still see pretty far on the highways as is. These are not a blue light, I only drive on highways so I wanted a white light so I can see all the jumpy animals I have to avoid

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Is that with the engine running, if not, that's about as good as it gets.

Personally, I think everyone gets carried away with putting brighter lights in their car, I suppose the auto accessory shops love it at $40 and up for globes when a standard one only costs $8 and will generally last the life of the car.

The standard lights on my vx are great, unless I was doing 140Km/h+ on unmarked roads I couldnt see a need for any more. Compared to lights on cars of 30+ years ago there is no comparison.

Im not sure how lights that boast 80% more output can be used, the standard lamp is close to the maximum legal output that can be used in low beam driving.

I dunno about this, Kangaroos have really good camo in tall roadside grass, even at 100 it's hard to see them sometimes before they are right beside you, the more light you can get on them the better, apart from the odd drunken teenager punks that walk home in the middle of the road Kangaroos are the main issue :). At least with the teenagers they are only in 50-60 zones and probably due for some natural selection anyway since they wont get off the road

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Tried Narva blue globes once. As you already know they are hopeless. I managed to get my cash back though and bought the phillips crystal vision globes which are excellent but pricey. Phillips Crystal Vision FTW!

Please tell me, how on earth did you get your money back? I've already tried, but the person from Narva that the store had to ring to get an OK said no, and the store isn't willing to do anything either.. jerks.

phatvtcom: I didn't take any photos. They weren't in long enough for that to happen lol.

commsirc: that was with the engine turned off, so being .4V under 12 doesn't make a difference? That's good :).

The Philips Crystal Vision, from reading so far they seem to be the better upgrade option, just wondering, do they burn hotter? Or are they the same temp?

Thanks

mazzstein

Yeahhh Karrnntt.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrous 355 Stato
well i just went out and bought some phillips blue vision 4000k's
so i will tell you how they go mate