Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help, Buy a standard Reco. diff "for a VC" or something like a LSD???

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Well what diff does your VK have now?. If it has a Salisbury diff then yeah be good to put a VL diff in. But if your VK already has a Borg Warner diff then no use replasing it with a VL.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I did that conversion to my VH. Blew 2 Salisbury 8 bolts so decided to get something stronger. I bought the VL diff and tailshaft off of a mate for $80. As it came out of an auto, and I have a manual, I needed to use the rear section of the VL tailshaft and the front section of mine. But that didn't work coz the VL tailshaft is a little bigger in diameter and the bolt holes didn't line up. So I went and got a VK EFI tailshaft for $50, used the rear section of that and it all went together with no problems.

Here where I live we have a local wrecker which mainly deals with Commodores. He charges $150 for a complete diff (drum to drum, disc to disc), and $50 for a complete tailshaft. Another wrecker which deals in most cars, was gonna charge me $325 for a VL diff.....but thanks to Spirit77 (not sure if he's a member here) I got a diff and tailshaft for $80.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
The Salisbury & 78 series Borgwarner diffs are quite different diffs internally the main advantage is the Brogwarner has much thicker axels. I used to twist the splines off an 8bolt salisbury in my VK then I swapped to a 10 bolt which was much stronger. The Borgwarner is stronger again.

For the LSD diffs the VL turbo (3.45:1 ratio) or VL V8 (3.08:1 ratio) they are a 28 spline 4 pinion LSD where as the 85 VK or NA VL LSD are a 25 spline 2 pinion. The 2 pinion LSDs are pretty good and can handle a mild V8 quite ok.

The main killer of diffs are burnouts, you excessivly wear very quickly the hemisphere bearings, once they are worn it will inturn wear out the diff gears. Also hard gear changes or sudden shocks in the drive train such as dropping the clutch in a manual is the most likely cause of broken axels.

Dont forget if you change diff ratio you will need to change your speedo gear otherwise your speedo will be out.

cheers
Scott