Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help doing all round maintenance

AlexMcK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hi all, I got the Commodore V6 VR from my auntie for free as it needed a bit of work. I took it to the mechanic for the leaking power steering and the rack ends were replaced. However, didn't fix the problem. Have been neglecting the problems for a while, but recently decided to see what I can do to help/repair them. In advance I would like to thank all input :D

Problems:

- Power steering leaks (if above ~1/2 full reservoir)
- Coolant leaks (working on)
- Fan speed 3 and 4 not working FIXED
- Gears take a few seconds to change and clunk (going into D and R)
- Roof liner falling off
- Radiator fan may not be working
- Tyre leaking (needs refill ~1 month)
- Odometer stopped

What I have done:

Coolant leaking
- Flushed coolant
- Refilled coolant w/ Nulon Stop Leaks
- Replaced radiator cap
(19-06-2015)
- Replaced thermostat and gasket

Radiator Fan
- Fan didn't turn on while idling for ~20mins
- Fan turns on with A/C
(19-06-2015)
- Fan comes on with temp. sensor disconnected

Fan Speed
- Replaced fan resistor with solid state resistor (off ebay $20)

I understand gear box clunking and slipping is probably not something I can fix too easy?

Roof liner is annoying either I tear it off or was thinking of pulling it off to one side then getting liquid nails and sticking it back on. Though there was orange stuff that slowly cover the car in orange dust under my sisters roof liner. I defiantly don't want that.

Was wondering anything that has worked for others that might work on the tyre or I just suck it up and wait until it is a real problem and replace them.

I replaced the radiator cap with a new one, though the one originally on there was a 100kPa, I manage to get my hands onto a manual for Commodore/Lexcen 1993-1997. The cap pressure is noted as being 120kPa-150kPa for the V6. Is there any need to replace the cap again? Is there any reason that it is low? Possibly because older hoses, radiator and possible leaks?

While flushing coolant and adding "stop leaks", I had the car idling for about 20mins. The fan didn't come on once, as I would have noticed as my head was under it looking for leaks developing. Though it did come on with the A/C. Either this could just be because the temp didn't raise enough, or the temp sensor isn't working. I believe to test temp sensor (under alternator on the right) unplug the wires to it. The fan should spin up in 12secs and max out in another 6secs. Do I need to replace the alternator and drive belt to do the test? Also does the car need to be running?

According to SuperCheap this is the themostat you need : Tridon Thermostat - TT203-195 - Supercheap Auto Australia
This gasket goes with this thermostat : http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Tridon-Thermostat-Gasket-TTG46.aspx?pid=11238#Recommendations

One last thing, after refilling coolant my partner was driving behind me for a little. She saw liquid coming out of the exhaust and a bad smell coming from my car. I did spill a bit of coolant over the radiator, it has been reasonably cold and it was the first time driving it for a couple of days. Though could there be coolant getting into the engine and this is why the coolant is leaking? If so how much work would it be and tools I would need to fix/test this problem?

Sorry for the wall of text trying to get all info out there :D

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Auto slipping clunking as you say, may need a service, filter pan gasket and ATF, not hard to do yourself bit messy that's all, or a bit of a worn mount (easy to do as well)
idling for 29 min, what temp on gauge was it,
spilled coolant when being boiled of from engine/rad parts can smell, if you had a coolant leak in engine you would possibly have milky oil, coolant, or a misfire
being an unleaded car the fuel burn residue does smell like rotten eggs (sulphur smell) moisture will deposit in the exhaust (all cars) when it cools down and the dew point is right (especially in colder weather etc) their will be some moisture pushed out from the exhaust left behind when it cooled down etc, that's why most new cars exhaust systems are stainless (burn process of unleaded fuel as well)

AlexMcK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Sweet, well there is no discoloration of the oil or the coolant. So hopefully it was just a bit of dew and spilled coolant. Well I am happy with messy and have a few days on my hands so might have a look at having ago at a service.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Sweet, well there is no discoloration of the oil or the coolant. So hopefully it was just a bit of dew and spilled coolant. Well I am happy with messy and have a few days on my hands so might have a look at having ago at a service.

Fan comes on automatically when turn the air con on, does it work for u this way?

My roof lining is pinned up, not drawing pins but pins that are about inch long with little color beads on the end. Else if its that bad, make a mess and rip the whole thing out and refabric it it or do a artistic design ie: Sheep skin it ;)

Get new clamps and black hoses for per steer reservoir. Find the metal pipes tighten them up. May need a new pump. I did. I changed it myself in mechanics yard but he had to unbolt the seriously difficult metal pipes for me, I did rest

If the exhaust is white color then your burning coolant, needing new intake gaskets

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I've done the same with the roof lining in my VS. I raided my wife's sewing kit and put about 50 of her pins in the lining to hold it up. You get used to it after a few days. The orange/yellow stuff that's raining out is the foam that has broken down over the years.

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
The gearbox clunking and slipping is possibly due to bad oil, first thing to diognoise and possibly fix it is to service the trans.
Generally all a service is, removing the trans pan, replacing the filter and pan gasket then giving it a flush through...
There are lots of different meathods of doing this, if u need help sing out.

Roof liner, they can be difficult and time consuming to fix correctly. I've has some success with using staples as a quick fix.

Radiator cap..... Don't trust the book. Call sprints or supercheap and get them to look it up for you in there book.

Leaking tyre, either leave it or diognoise where the leak is coming from.
Repairing leaks in tyres is very easy, finding them is hard...

Thermostat, when buying parts for your car... Allways ask the people at the counter, in a way it's part of ur warranty....
If u tell them what u want and it's wrong, it's on you, but if you give them the details on ur car and they get the wrong part, it's on them.... Even if u have opened it.

Water in the exhaust..... Possibly just condensation turning to liquid from the heat

Fan...
To see if the fan works, start the engine and turn on the a/c, it should start spinning
But to see it its thermostat is working... Let it get up temp, u should hear the fan before it gets to 2/3 hot on the gauge

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Coolant leaking...

The stop leak stuff does not work to well.... U really need to diognoise it.
Remember liquid can't defy gravity too well, so follow the fluid trails to there highest points and that's where the leak will be.

2 worst places to leak.... Rear main seal plate, or the front timing cover, if it's leaking from on or both, quickly sell the car.

AlexMcK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I have been checking for leaks after I go for a drive and can't seem to find leaks. Though the last time I filled the coolant, I found some rolling down the exhaust, and dripping just where the exhaust flattens out (inline with just behind the front wheels).

With the roof lining sheep skin does sound like a good idea, though as of the moment I am going for cheap ways to keep this beast going. I might give sticking/pinning it down a go, worst case i just rip it out.

Thanks for the tip RCAddict, just about to head down to super cheap and grab a new thermostat (just cause they are ~$15 and I will probably lose some coolant trying to check it anyways.

I will have a look around the car and through the manual about the service of the trans. If i need any help i will be back on here.

I'm guessing the best way to find a leak is with some soapy water and some patience. Just concerned that since it is so slow that it may not be obvious.

Anyone know if supercheap sells the temperature sensor (just incase that might be the problem)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I have been checking for leaks after I go for a drive and can't seem to find leaks. Though the last time I filled the coolant, I found some rolling down the exhaust, and dripping just where the exhaust flattens out (inline with just behind the front wheels).

With the roof lining sheep skin does sound like a good idea, though as of the moment I am going for cheap ways to keep this beast going. I might give sticking/pinning it down a go, worst case i just rip it out.

Thanks for the tip RCAddict, just about to head down to super cheap and grab a new thermostat (just cause they are ~$15 and I will probably lose some coolant trying to check it anyways.

I will have a look around the car and through the manual about the service of the trans. If i need any help i will be back on here.

I'm guessing the best way to find a leak is with some soapy water and some patience. Just concerned that since it is so slow that it may not be obvious.

Anyone know if supercheap sells the temperature sensor (just incase that might be the problem)

maybe your radiator cap is f##kd and when it gets hot, coolant gets pushed out of the overflow pipe on reservoir. but it spits out **** loads when this happens

repco would have a temp sensor, note that you need and ECU temp sensor, not the little gold sensor that only controls the dashboard temp guage

is there any oil around your radiator cap

make sure coolant is cold when changing your thermo ;)

AlexMcK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
maybe your radiator cap is f##kd and when it gets hot, coolant gets pushed out of the overflow pipe on reservoir. but it spits out **** loads when this happens

repco would have a temp sensor, note that you need and ECU temp sensor, not the little gold sensor that only controls the dashboard temp guage

is there any oil around your radiator cap

make sure coolant is cold when changing your thermo ;)

Just ran the car with the lead to the temp sensor disconnected and the fan started after about 15secs. But when I took the lead off the sensor looked almost new. The part the was sticking out had a brass coloured nut on it and was very shiny. Everything else around that area was very dirty. I have seen else where that others have had the ECU burn out where the temp sensor leads connect (I think). Anyone know where to find the ECU(if that's the right thing I'm looking for)

Also just replaced the radiator cap(100kPa), there was a bit of build up on the washer. Possibly could have been some oil.