Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help VB sl 202 red motor mods

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
i would be going v8 as well unless moneys not an issue.

But thats what im saying for the same moneyyou spend hotting up the 202 you could have an 8 in the car the old red 5L engines are going very cheap now. By the time you spend money on a cam, EFI, extractors gearbox conversion etc your pretty well spending the same money to do the V8 with gearbox anyway.

cheers
Scott

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
But thats what im saying for the same moneyyou spend hotting up the 202 you could have an 8 in the car the old red 5L engines are going very cheap now. By the time you spend money on a cam, EFI, extractors gearbox conversion etc your pretty well spending the same money to do the V8 with gearbox anyway.

cheers
Scott

Agreed, unless hes governed by P-plate laws, which was my initial guess. an 8 hands down is the cheapest/simplest way but it depends if he was planning to go that extent aswell. Everyone wants a fast car, but no one wants to put in the effort lol.

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL commodore and VN s1 v6 5speed exec
hi guys thanks for all the help i am curently bidding on a VK efi setup and comp and i am also bidding on a stainless steel set of extractors and sadly i am held back by stupid p plate laws but i am allready planning and saving for a hz,hq,hj panel van to do up as a show van but as i am still learning i figured the vb was the way to go
thanks guys

KC

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Buy a written off EFI VK dont buy an EFI conversion as you will need too many parts
Head & block are different red to black Dont buy the extractors the EFI VKs come standard with a really good set of extractors. Plus the red motor ports are differently layed out to a black motor for EFI.
Rebuild the 202 40thou pistons, mild cam, port the hell out of the head and you will have a pretty good 202.
You will need fuel lines, fuel tank fair bit of wiring from the doner VK.

Also stainless cracks easily your best with mild steel exhaust and have your extractors ceramic coated it will look like polished aluminium when done.

cheers
Scott

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate
i have allready bought an efi its complete less the computer and i payed 50 bucks for it all
i have allso allready bought some oem grade stainless steel extractors that i payed $200 for
im not too familliar with EFI setups so im going to read up on it and see how to set it up after i bolt it on
thanks

KC

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
The EFI and Carby extractors are different, but I think they can still be used, aslong as they are 12 port Extractors.
As Scott said its easy to buy a wreck, as you will need a lot of parts.

Everything from the Head upwards, Computer, Wiring, Fuel tank and pump, return fuel lines.
Depending how much you want to go, maybe looking at doing work to the head before you fit it, and find a nice cam.

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
wont the fuel tank on the car be good enought to run the EFI and the extractors are 12 port
thanks
KC

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
wont the fuel tank on the car be good enought to run the EFI and the extractors are 12 port
thanks
KC

Yes and No.

The EFI needs an electronic fuel pump, and the return fuel line. Since the VK tank bolts it, its the easiest option. You could modify your tank for the return fuel line and plenty of people have done so, and you can run an external electronic fuel pump. Just depends how much you want to muck around, using the VK EFI tank is just simplest option.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
DOnt forget if he is using the red 202 block he will need to drill holes in the black head for the water galleries, from memory there are 4 that need to be drilled. You use a black motor head gasket as a template.

If the extractors he bought are for a 9 port head they will be useless and he will need to buy a set for a 12 port head.

cheers
Scott