Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with low mounting AC bracket for 304 VN motor

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks for your help and information. I know as much as I have the bracket for the external compressor and all the internal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I’ll need to run the lines etc.

I’m not entirely sure what I need. Can anybody tell me exactly the components I’ll need to get this running?

Thanks again for your help!!

You are best to take it to an A/C shop, they will have the tools to make custom lines/hoses.
You will also need to buy a compressor.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
My VQII came from the factory equipped with an R12 A/C system in 1993. You have the bracket- what other AC system parts do you have?
Many parts are unobtainable- I had to make a VQ evaporator out of a VS unit by modifying the flanges and hoping it would work with the VP/VQ orifice tube evaporator control system- which it sort of does.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
My VQII came from the factory equipped with an R12 A/C system in 1993. You have the bracket- what other AC system parts do you have?
Many parts are unobtainable- I had to make a VQ evaporator out of a VS unit by modifying the flanges and hoping it would work with the VP/VQ orifice tube evaporator control system- which it sort of does.
All I have is the bracket and all internals - I’m assuming I’ll need compressor / condenser, new lines etc - not sure what the list will be (I’m a newbie to all this - longtime admirer)

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You will need a compressor, compressor HP and LP switches, evaporator, orifice tube or TX valve, accumulator and condenser with a HP switch, electrical condenser fan, new liquid and suction lines,accumulator/drier plus the control system in the cabin. I'd make sure I could source all the parts before I started and had access to a vac pump and refrigerant charging gear. Have you looked at the VK section of the forum to see what's been done before. Like here:

And don't underestimate the effort involved in fitting an evaporator into the heater box- it's a total dash out job.

Last edited:

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
I’m just starting out (newbie - go easy on me) I only have the bracket and that is it. I have all the internals (incar) as it used to have AC (previous owner). He was having troubles with ex partner and was unable to obtain the parts etc.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
No worries, installing an original factory airconditioner in an old car would be one of the most difficult jobs possible .
The early Commodores had no cabin air filter and a horizontal evaporator- this forms a natural litter trap which turns into a compost heap when wetted by the airconditioner operating- which rots out the evaporator coil. A picture of mine when I removed it is attached.

If your evaporator needs replacing you can double the cost of the job.

I'd try and use as many VK AC components as I could find. I doubt that you will find a VK evaporator but you might be able to buy and modify a VS/VR one for under $500. I used a Sanden compressor for my A/C rebuild- it fits on that bracket. And you will be stuck with using R134A gas or its later replacements.

You need to work out what you need before you start.

Attachments

• 20230316_123751-Rev1.jpg
    20230316_123751-Rev1.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 36

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You can buy an under the dash box, or a limo box as they used to be called.
My mate fitted one to his HZ, he's an auto sparky and A/C guy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Parts are out there, it depends on how much you want to pay.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Aftermarket is easier, you don't have to pull the dashboard apart and integrate the system components.

For a VP/VQ I had no problems finding a condenser, compressors were available but limited to Sandon (which I wanted anyway) but evaporators are unobtainable- even when I found them in on line catalogues the response to each inquiry was "no longer available".

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
No worries, installing an original factory airconditioner in an old car would be one of the most difficult jobs possible .
The early Commodores had no cabin air filter and a horizontal evaporator- this forms a natural litter trap which turns into a compost heap when wetted by the airconditioner operating- which rots out the evaporator coil. A picture of mine when I removed it is attached.

If your evaporator needs replacing you can double the cost of the job.

I'd try and use as many VK AC components as I could find. I doubt that you will find a VK evaporator but you might be able to buy and modify a VS/VR one for under $500. I used a Sanden compressor for my A/C rebuild- it fits on that bracket. And you will be stuck with using R134A gas or its later replacements.

You need to work out what you need before you start.
Kudos for your rebuild.

Thinking with the popularity of our cars it won't be long before someone fabricates an evaporator.

The heavy AC pipes can be rebuilt. They rebuild the metal fitting on new hose......had mine replaced along with condenser and compressor.

Weakness with our cars is they ran colder with R12. Using VP condenser and newer R123A isn't as cold but ok. People often overlook the belt which dries out because of power steering seeps from pump front seal. Any slipping is hard to notice but but can be picked up with strobe torch under reving torque load......makes a big difference.

How did you deal with inevitable plastic tab cracks and breaks?

Mine is 08/ 91. Would Mine have a filter I can access and replace? Where?

Remember a couple of years ago replacing fan resistor looking down into evaporator with a a torch and only seeing 3 or 4 eucalyptus leaves. Never see any leaves under plenum cover. Do you think they get in from elsewhere?

Unbelievable that photo really the amount of crap.