Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help With Piston Slap Probs

BUNDYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6SP
Hi,
I Bought A Vx Ss 5 Months Ago And Has Piston Slap, When We Checked The Car Before Purchase I Could Not Find Any Probs. Its A Knocking Sound That Goes Away After The Motor Is At Normal Temp. Now With The Warmer Weather It Knocks When I Start It When The Engine Is At Full Temp. I Have Certified Waranty But They Don't Want To Know About It.they Say It's Within An Acceptble Tollerance. It Knocks For Less Than 3 Mins And Does Not Consume Excess Oil. Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Firstly get your keyboard fixed it seems to be putting a capital on every word...lol (kidding)

The piston slap will not be fixed if they deem it to be serviceable, the only thing you could do is try another dealer.

being a VX its out of warranty now too

Rob

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I was at a petrol station yesterday and a hot house green VY ss started up beside me, that thing was probably warmed up and still had more rattles in it than my almost 300,000kms VN V6 and mine has some pretty good rattles on a cold start! :), maybe they are all like that

BUNDYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6SP
But is any damage caused in the long run?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
with the warranty bit.....they replace whatever your not happy with no questions asked.....whats the go there???

BUNDYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6SP
Because It Was Such A Common Fault Holden Come Up With A So Called Tollerable Allowance.meaning That If It Was A Prob,the First Owner Would Have Got Them To Fix It. My Waranty Is From The Car Yard Not Holden So They Don't Want To Fix It Because Its Got 56000ks.

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
Use castrol magnatec .It will provide some protection on the initial startup.I bought a vtss gen 111,and although its a quiet running motor,it uses a hell of a lot of oil.My car was also a cetified used car.But I did not elect to take on their ripoff $180 service every six months to retain the three year warranty.THey would not have fixed the oil consumption problems anyway.

xss001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VE SS
My VX SS Series 1 has a bit noise on start up but once warm is ok. The noise doesn't worry me (I had v6 VN as well) but I was concerned about the oil consumption issue. I bought it with 33000K so also had a certified warranty so had to use their service. They undertook a oil consumption test on my request to prove the point and their tolerance was 2 litres in 10,000. Mine used about 1 litre every 10,000 so no problem. It has now done 80,000 and still the same so don't see any reason to bother about it. Magnatech is what they put in it so fine by me.

Know a few other early Gen III owners and most have had the rebuild and seem to happy with it. In my opinion the real issue is oil consumption. If it dissappears below dipstick between services go back and hassle them otherwise you may as well stick with it.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if it oil consumption thats bothering you just use a thicker fully synthetic oil and it should hopefully stop it from leaking past the rings