Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some advise, guys....

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Planning on building up a VR Commodore. Ground up, inside and out. Have the plans in my head, but was around for a cheap VR, these seem to be getting hard to get.

Anyway, i'm in no great rush for the car yet, but has anyone built a flat firewall? I know the standard ones are glued in, but i want a full smooth engine bay, and the standard firewall just doesn't cut it, and i'm not ripping one of them out, watched a guy I worked with, rip one out, while doing my apprenticeship, and it was a massive pain in the rear.

So, has anyone done it, or seen one done?

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Yeah, looking at them, it'll be near impossible, the motors sit almost right on it. I might have to wait until i actually start the build, mock fit the new engine, and go from there.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Kinda off topic, but why VR over VS specifically? They're pretty much the same car bar the V6.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Everybody knows VR's look better :D........ they will also hit club/classic plates a few years earlier....most VS sedans had D/S airbags VR's didn't so more fun for wheel choices...VS's are so last years model look ;)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Everybody knows VR's look better :D........ they will also hit club/classic plates a few years earlier....most VS sedans had D/S airbags VR's didn't so more fun for wheel choices...VS's are so last years model look ;)
Last century! ha ha ha

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Pretty much as Wozza says.

Like to be able to choose my own steering wheel, instead of a standard unit with a massive big pillow in it. Might save a life, but i don't plan on smashing it, after it's done :D:D:D.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Like to be able to choose my own steering wheel, instead of a standard unit with a massive big pillow in it.
Do you plan on driving it on the road? The wheel you choose will still have to have crash padding the same as the stock wheel has. If you know a way to get around that rule please tell me? legally not change it after the inspection