Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neons-the Truth

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Yeh, as far as i was aware it is illegal to hve them turned on. I know alot of people who do shows and stuff with their cars, not all comies...but they have them and they use them for demos but i was pretty sure you could have them fitted. I have neons that come on when you enter/exit the vechical underneath the pedals and seats of the driver and passenger(not pedals in second case) is that illegal, is it only the external ones under debate?

Cheers aZk

O

ozute

so what's the point of them... that's like buying waterproof teabags

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Like I said...thats a good question. I think it'll be like airbags, not allowed to be adjusted whilst in motion and if they can...illegal. So, fitted neons would only be legal if they can't be switched on whilst the vehicle is in motion....

azkawere....theoretically....ALL neons are illegal

E

EZRA

ezra ute

yeh it is illegal 2 have them on driving but not fitted all 4 show wen ur hangin out at the local drags lol i know coz i asked my oldman hew is a coppa so yeh thats the rules in qld neways coz i got 2 under my car 1 in my car n i got them window washer 1s 2 looks pretty sik

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I just found this on QLD transports website. It’s a PDF file with detailed info about modifications you can make to your car and stuff. I haven’t looked at it much but it has a section on lighting.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Modification_Jan05v2.pdf/$file/Modification_Jan05v2.pdf

chunderlicious

tight ass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubby A6
"dazzling lights" are illegal on a vehicle, which includes all those sexy lookin b&s utes with the load indicators on the side and back are illegal too unless the vehicle is registered as a light commercial. ive looked into it quite a bit over a few months. spot lights arent illegal as long as they dont obstruct vision of the driver in any way.

my 2 cents

F

flisso

hey i was just wondering if having neons under the parcel shelf, shining out from a pattern in it, or the slots in the back are illegal?

Last edited by a moderator:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
flisso said:
hey i was just wondering if having neons under the parcel shelf, shining out from a pattern in it, or the slots in the back are illegal?

I would say if you can't see it from outside it wouldn't be, but I'm no government guy so ??

I also agree, legal to have but not in motion.. would love to get the truth on the matter

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
I have 3 neon's in my interior 1 under in the passenger footwell, 1 in the drivers side door pocket (i hated it under the dash so now my door has a nice glow.) and the other is on the rear parcel shelf. All these are connected to the interior light in the roof because the globe was busted n i thought.. neh i had the bright light so i through the neon's in for Mood lighting. They activate when the doors are open or by the button on the dash. and this IS LEGAL! By the way ive blacked out the back of the light on the rear parcel shelf because apparently its ILLIGAL if you can see where the light source is being emmitted from. Cops dont have anything to complain about. & at night if your sitting behind my car you cant see the neon on the rear shelf.. just a nice glow across the roof.

mwethereld

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Series II V9 Executive 3.8L Supercharged 11Psi
ok, i can possible shed some light to this, i went down and had a chat to two gentlemen, one was a car inspector at the ipswich QLD transport dept, and armed with a copy of the (OPTRANS99MGNTACT) the transport act ( all 360 pages ) we went throught the allowable vehicle mods, the second gentlemen was a senior sargent at the roma street cop shop in brissy. now, i have issues with my plates, there personalised and my VNs stock light is ****, i constructed a carbon fibre housing and put a neon in it and my whole boot lights up, this is legal cause you can have any light illuminating ya boot by reflection,,,, just dont make the light be seen! ie the housing... undercar neons are illegal to be used, even in carparks, 3 points $240 fine, you CAN HAVE THEM FITTED A-OK!!! JUST DONT SHOW THEM OFF ON THE ROADS!

under law any light may be used to light the interior of a vehicle, provided it doesnt create a huge glow or windscreen glare for the driver, so you can have ya neons inside, i have 4 and the inspector had a look and said i did a good job at making them nice and hidden, up under the guards and seats. they glow on the floor but not the WS and REAR WS.

my DVD is technically illegal because i can see the screen, but they let it slid, some cops wont. if you are single and hoonin around theyll ping ya, but if you have the kids in back and you on a road trip, they let it go. usuing cieling mount DVD is not reccomended as drivers behind you may see it, hence illegal.

parkers and headlights must be white light only, however use of bulbs with higher blue frequencies is allowed, but dont go usuin blue LEDs,

NOS is illegal in all states of australia, EVEN HAVING THE EQUIPMENT IS ILLEGAL, if you have an empty bottle in the boot, not even wired up or lines connected, its illegal.

any questions,

with the general idea is you can have it, just dont openly use it!

Except for NOS