Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Battery

David1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S 3.8 Manual S2
I replaced my battery in my ssv redline 2 days ago with a new Ac Delco since the old battery was on its way out. I noticed the battery voltage shown on the dash has been sitting rather high around 14.5V - 14.8V constantly. The car has been driven 3 times so far each trip was around 40mins. The old battery would sit just over 13V when started then drop to around 12V. I would have expected the new battery to behave in a similar way and I would have thought after 3 trips 40mins each that the battery should be fully charged. Is this expected behaviour?

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Sounds normal to me.

Answers to the following questions could determine if this behaviour is actually odd:
> How 'old' is your new battery? Sometimes they can remain on store shelf for several months before bring dropped into your car
> Was the drive on highway or was it a city route?
> Did you drive with lights/ other accessories on?
> Do you have any electronic accessories on your car (amps, subs etc)?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I replaced my battery in my ssv redline 2 days ago with a new Ac Delco since the old battery was on its way out. I noticed the battery voltage shown on the dash has been sitting rather high around 14.5V - 14.8V constantly. The car has been driven 3 times so far each trip was around 40mins. The old battery would sit just over 13V when started then drop to around 12V. I would have expected the new battery to behave in a similar way and I would have thought after 3 trips 40mins each that the battery should be fully charged. Is this expected behaviour?
Battery voltage with the engine running and alternator charging should be around 13.8 volts and can be higher. 12 volts with your old battery is wrong and best to disregard that. If you're not getting any faults shown on the dash, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

David1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S 3.8 Manual S2
Sounds normal to me.

Answers to the following questions could determine if this behaviour is actually odd:
> How 'old' is your new battery? Sometimes they can remain on store shelf for several months before bring dropped into your car
> Was the drive on highway or was it a city route?
> Did you drive with lights/ other accessories on?
> Do you have any electronic accessories on your car (amps, subs etc)?
* I am unsure of the age of the battery but it fully sealed in an AcDelco box (bought online and shipped).
* The drive was a mixture but most of the drive is 80km/h roads and a small amount of freeway.
* 1 trip was with lights on the other 2 had radio and aircon on low.
* No additional accessories like amps etc everything is factory.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
* I am unsure of the age of the battery but it fully sealed in an AcDelco box (bought online and shipped).
* The drive was a mixture but most of the drive is 80km/h roads and a small amount of freeway.
* 1 trip was with lights on the other 2 had radio and aircon on low.
* No additional accessories like amps etc everything is factory.
All things sound normal. Switch to a different display on the Driver Information Screen and enjoy the drive mate!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don't worry, the smart charging system is re-calibrating itself to the characteristics of the new battery.
That sounds like the BS that Apple told me, last time I did a major software upgrade & the 'phone started using battery at nearly twice the rate as "the power management was re-calibrating itself to the use of the apps" (or some such).
Turned out they were right & it went back to the same as before ... :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That sounds like the BS that Apple told me, last time I did a major software upgrade & the 'phone started using battery at nearly twice the rate as "the power management was re-calibrating itself to the use of the apps" (or some such).
Turned out they were right & it went back to the same as before ... :)
I wouldn't know, never been sucked in to buying apple crap... :cool:

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hi.
I just changed my battery with a Century and I am having similar symptoms.

My volt metre is showing around 15 volts.
No fault codes .
I am sure that everything in normal.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wouldn't know, never been sucked in to buying apple crap... :cool:
Yeah I resisted for years … finally I realised I cared more about the widget I didn’t care anything about being easier than being cheaper. :)