Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Battery

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
David1 and Nando - If your worried, ignore the dash reading and take the car into your local parts store and ask them to put it on their tester. Normally it's a free service and when you get someone who knows what they're doing they do the alternator test while they're got it hooked up. Both tests take less than 5 minutes combined.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
David1 and Nando - If your worried, ignore the dash reading and take the car into your local parts store and ask them to put it on their tester. Normally it's a free service and when you get someone who knows what they're doing they do the alternator test while they're got it hooked up. Both tests take less than 5 minutes combined.
Or (if you are a member) get the NRMA or equivalent in your state to bring their ute around with the gear on board.
They should do a thorough test - hopefully they won't try to sell you a new battery.

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
I recently changed to an AC Delco Battery on my VF2 SS.
The only step I took differently was that before I put it in, I charged it with a separate charger overnight so i know that a full battery is going in.

First week battery was reading 15v, then dropped to 14.5 and now 14.1

Can confirm all is well. I second that it is definitely the system calibration/syncing charge status for the battery.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I replaced my battery in my ssv redline 2 days ago with a new Ac Delco since the old battery was on its way out. I noticed the battery voltage shown on the dash has been sitting rather high around 14.5V - 14.8V constantly. The car has been driven 3 times so far each trip was around 40mins. The old battery would sit just over 13V when started then drop to around 12V. I would have expected the new battery to behave in a similar way and I would have thought after 3 trips 40mins each that the battery should be fully charged. Is this expected behaviour?
I had a look at this with an SV6 and new battery and mine sits around 14.5 volts on initial startup and 5 minutes, then it drops back to 13.9 volts once you start cruising along.

20231018_191244 (1).jpg