Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Car Help

Neill

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just found this site so I thought I would ask for your ideas on buying a new Commodore. The missus and I are looking at buying a new wagon soon, probably the Acclaim or Lumina. Just wondering if any of you have heard of any problems with either of these models.

The Acclaim at probably just over $40,000 is pushing the budget to the limit but we had a new VR Acclaim sedan before and liked it. Although looking at the new models on the holden website, the Lumina seems to be just as good a buy except for a few safety features at a lot less price.

We had a new VN S and then the VR Acclaim and then we got a 4x4 bug so we traded that on a '91 GXL Landcruiser. The novelty has worn of for the missus and kids and as we are planning a trip to Dubbo and Canberra (we live in Rockhampton QLD) in September, we thought we might get a new car before we go.

Also, I have heard that the new VE model won't be out till later in the year and also that there will not be a wagon in the model range to start with, is that true? The best time to buy I suppose will be when they have the model runout deals.

Hope this is the right part of the forum to be asking all this, sorry if it's not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
To be honest as I deal in the motor trade everyday, I would never purchase a new car again. Firstly the depreciation is at its maximum within the first two years of ownership. Knowing what I know now I only purchase vehicles that are slightly less than two years old and have travelled less than 40,000klm. With the warranties available now a car of that age is virtually still being run in and the drivers of those cars are usually ex-government or ex-lease. Now you say you may want a Lumina or Acclaim when for possibly the same money or even less you could have a Berlina or Calais and still option it up with what you want in it by shopping around. The depreciation for Holden and Ford and many of the others is horrendous so a car only a few years old can be had for major savings. Many car yards now sell with NRMA inspections included and even some of the leasing companies sell direct to the public. My advise by a good used car with the criteria I spoke about before and you could be driving a top of the range car instead of a base level entry. THINK ABOUT IT!!!
PM me if you want some help?

Neill

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, you've certainly given me something to think about.:thumbsup:

Besides the air bag problem, are there any problems with the VX, VY AND VZ that I should be aware of?

Thanks for you help.